RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   All New KingTech EPO Jets, by HSD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11633056-all-new-kingtech-epo-jets-hsd.html)

afterburner 08-08-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by oukenfold (Post 12354844)
I have seen this video and my f16 it's half that speed at full throttle

https://youtu.be/tBcM_32poFQ

Just curious what your altitude is where you are flying in Mexico?

PHUC1 11-26-2017 04:25 AM

Hello

I have got one kit of HSD F16 1800 MM foam.

please advise if I can use K85-G2 KINGTECH turbin engine or not? is it too heavy? how to adjust gravity balance?

extra 300 11-26-2017 09:48 AM

Hi
The K85 has the same weight of the K60 therefore no change in CG. However the 85 will burn more fuel than the 60 and you should definitely be cautious and use wise throttle management in order not to over stress the F16 beyond its limits
Regards,

Desertlakesflying 11-26-2017 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by luge_racer (Post 12350592)
Fine. How about: all HSD jets I've owned regardless of the power plant; whether turbine or EDF, stock or upgraded, have had glue adhesion and landing gear issues.

Well we would, but it is kinda hard to take you seriously after you conveniently left out the 100 class turbine part while bashing a company. Sooooooooo

BlueBus320 11-28-2017 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by PHUC1 (Post 12386431)
Hello

I have got one kit of HSD F16 1800 MM foam.

please advise if I can use K85-G2 KINGTECH turbin engine or not? is it too heavy? how to adjust gravity balance?

I think top end on the K85 is too powerful for level flight, & not sure how the residual thrust will affect your landing speed although I think that the 16 will slow just fine. I can say that the HSD 16 does very nice high alpha flight, but with my K-60 Ive had some hairy moments transitioning back to forward flight at low altitudes. I will probably upgrade my P-60 in the future, but I already have my timer set to 3:30. I moved it up to 4min, but had no reserves for go arounds.
Jay

sharam 02-07-2018 11:49 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a 2000cc fuel tank for the F-16?
The tank in the plane is only 1400cc and does not provide a long enough flight time for me.

Thx in advance.

sharam 03-20-2018 01:07 PM

I installed a 2 liter coke bottle as a new fuel tank (earlier post on this thread) and combined with a k85 and careful throttle management, this is an awesome aircraft to fly. Flight time is easily 7 minutes.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...c78faf990.jpeg

afterburner 03-20-2018 01:20 PM

Nice! Did it require a lot of material removal or modifications to get it to fit?

sharam 03-20-2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by afterburner (Post 12414498)
Nice! Did it require a lot of material removal or modifications to get it to fit?

No removal, perfect fit. Had to epoxy the strap to the foam on the bottom - the lower neck on the bottle is perfect for the strap to hold the tank firmly in place.

I had to buy a bottle cap vent and fuel line attachment (Chief Aircraft) and quite surprisingly, it all came together with little effort. I made sure that I got the tank as close to the turbine as possible so that there would be minimal CG shift as fuel is burned off. My CG is around 175, far forward of the manual. I always measure CG in the landing configuration, landing gear down, header tank full, main tank empty.

I hit 145 mph on the telemetry GPS (tiny headwind) in a straight line at about 5/8 throttle. I am sure that if I pushed it at full throttle for a longer period, I would have confetti on my hands. A straight up line was just awesome and never ending. Power to weight is above 1.

The K85 (G2) is about the same size as the old K60 and it weighs about the same. I needed no weight in the nose; using a 2200 3S Lipo, 1300 3S Lipo, and a 2100 3S LiFe (turbine), upfront, brought the CG to where I wanted.

afterburner 03-20-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by sharam (Post 12414503)
No removal, perfect fit. Had to epoxy the strap to the foam on the bottom - the lower neck on the bottle is perfect for the strap to hold the tank firmly in place.

I had to buy a bottle cap vent and fuel line attachment (Chief Aircraft) and quite surprisingly, it all came together with little effort. I made sure that I got the tank as close to the turbine as possible so that there would be minimal CG shift as fuel is burned off. My CG is around 175, far forward of the manual. I always measure CG in the landing configuration, landing gear down, header tank full, main tank empty.

I hit 145 mph on the telemetry GPS (tiny headwind) in a straight line at about 5/8 throttle. I am sure that if I pushed it at full throttle for a longer period, I would have confetti on my hands. A straight up line was just awesome and never ending. Power to weight is above 1.

The K85 (G2) is about the same size as the old K60 and it weighs about the same. I needed no weight in the nose; using a 2200 3S Lipo, 1300 3S Lipo, and a 2100 3S LiFe (turbine), upfront, brought the CG to where I wanted.

Thanks for the info. May have to look into that after I maiden mine.

extra 300 03-21-2018 03:58 AM

Sharam,

Very useful info. Thanks for sharing. Did you notice any particular drawback from the added fuel weight on take off and during first couple of minutes into the flight? are you able to land the F-16 slow?

Thanks
Regards,

sharam 03-21-2018 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by extra 300 (Post 12414621)
Sharam,

Very useful info. Thanks for sharing. Did you notice any particular drawback from the added fuel weight on take off and during first couple of minutes into the flight? are you able to land the F-16 slow?

Thanks
Regards,

The takeoff rollout was somewhat longer but once she was airborne, I really could not tell a difference in flight. I am still landing pretty fast; need to practice a bit more. My other problem was visibility. The camo works too well and on a partly cloudy day, she hides quite nicely. I need to get used to it up there.

Another mod I would like to make is to add baffles in the large tank to prevent all that fuel from sloshing around. While I noticed nothing in flight, I think baffles would be a good idea.

flejter1 03-21-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by afterburner (Post 12414514)
Thanks for the info. May have to look into that after I maiden mine.

Hi Guys,

I read about your modifications and want to throw my .02 in. This jet was designed around a 60N turbine or 12 lbs of thrust. You are now putting almost 60% more thrust in this jet with a K85 at 19lbs. If you want to increase the weight, wing loading and thrust, I strongly suggest changing all the Servo's. control rods, control horns and servo arms to a good heavy duty product. The servo's and hardware that comes with the jet is not the highest quality. The plastic servo arms and control horns are very brittle and breaks very easy under high stress. With the added weight, thrust, speed and flying forces, you will have a failure if you don't make other changes!! Trust me, I am all about having fun, but spend the extra time, effort and some money and change out all the hardware and servo's to give yourself a 1/2 of chance to get more than a few flights before it turns itself into coffee cups.

If you want to save yourself some heart ache, T-One has a 1.8M, Full Composite/Carbon Fiber F-16 coming out in a month or so. There are no control horns or control rods on any of the surfaces to deal with, as they built this like the 1/5 F-16 Big brother and has direct drive servo arm to control surfaces. This plane is designed for the 70-85N turbine but it has been tested with a 100N turbine to the most extreme flying to fully test its strength and durability. It has Electric retracts standard, light kit available as well as a PNP version. We will have pricing and more details out very soon.

Be Safe guys!!

Dirk
Pacific RC Jets

sharam 03-22-2018 11:40 AM

Well, there is no increase in weight going from the K60 to the K85 G2; the two engines weigh about the same. There is some extra weight due to the extra fuel in the 2 liter coke bottle mod. The K60 seems underpowered. The K70 G2 seems ideal for this jet. The K85 is overpowered but quite fine with careful throttle management, and I would agree that the 100 is way overboard. The F-16 version I have (bought in January), has metal gear servos, metal horns, and beefy metal ball helicopter style links that came standard. If you use a K85 and go full bore the whole time, most likely you will turn the jet into confetti. Even with a K60, the jet will snap its wings if you go hard up elevator after a full dive. As with anything in this hobby, one can push the envelope with careful planning.

Desertlakesflying 03-22-2018 04:52 PM

The PowerHD servos, if they are still using the same ones, will be fine.

BusdriverSA 03-26-2018 12:26 PM

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted here. Asked this question over at RCGroups and haven't had too much feedback, save for one comment.

Does anyone know of any failures that have occurred, or any quality issues with the thrust pipes that are used in the HSD turbine F-16?

Busy converting a Yellow Aircraft F-16 to turbine power with a K-85 turbine and I'm looking for a pipe. Given that these jets are almost exactly the same size, this pipe should suit my needs. Any opinions appreciated, thanks.

Cheers,

BusdriverSA

Desert Fox 1 07-24-2018 01:28 PM

Hello All,
Although Pacific RC Jets no longer carries HSD products, They are available at www.HSDGO.com (HSD Jets)and www.bananahobby.com. Video is of my 111 flight of my KingTech K-60G2 powered Super Viper V3 in the T-45 paint scheme.

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1

jet-lover 07-25-2018 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Desert Fox 1 (Post 12449702)
Hello All,
Although Pacific RC Jets no longer carries HSD products, They are available at www.HSDGO.com (HSD Jets)and www.bananahobby.com. Video is of my 111 flight of my KingTech K-60G2 powered Super Viper V3 in the T-45 paint scheme.

http://youtu.be/PZ3CenxtOKY

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1

I am looking a getting one of these. Have you been happy with it? Would you buy another one today?

Desert Fox 1 07-25-2018 04:52 AM

jet-lover,
I have been very happy with my purchase. The Super Viper is a good first turbine aircraft. I have over 111 flights, with no real issues, yes I would buy another. I do not use the smoke system. I have plumb the to tanks together and have my timer set for seven minutes. I usually land with the main tank more than half full at seven minutes of flying. Top speed is in the 135-145 mph straight and level and 155-185 mph on gentle pull out of dives. These are from my telemetry readings. I got my turbine waiver with this bird. I am fly without the gyro turned on and find the aircraft stable and locked in. Unless you can find a sweet used deal, this is great way to get started in turbines. I fly at a very active club "Georgia Jets". Numerous members have commented on how well this aircraft performs. My RC aircraft YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/rmshump..._as=subscriber

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1

CaptRKO 12-14-2020 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Pilot (Post 12354847)
Have a look at part one of this guys video, at about 9:00 he explains about the turbine placement and that it need to move back from what the factory says.. Dirk actually says 3/4 on the spacing.

Im putting one together with a KINGTECH 85 G4. Dirk said 1". I am going to verify. Can someone post pics of the installation if the pump, ECU, RX placement? I would appreciate that.

Desertlakesflying 12-14-2020 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by CaptRKO (Post 12650291)
Im putting one together with a KINGTECH 85 G4. Dirk said 1". I am going to verify. Can someone post pics of the installation if the pump, ECU, RX placement? I would appreciate that.

3/4" from the end of the pipe to the tailcone of the turbine is standard for turbines