RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Fuel in different turbines?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11635140-fuel-different-turbines.html)

jesse2357 12-25-2016 06:14 PM

Fuel in different turbines??

I bought my 1st turbine a few months ago, a Kingtech 45. I just ordered my second airframe and I'm debating between kingtech 160 jetmunts140 and a jet central cheetah. My question is that Kingtech uses diesel with 5% kingtech oil would that work in the rest of the turbines? I know jet munts says kero with 4% oil. Kero is stupid expensive here unless you buy by the 55 gallon drum so diesel is my preference. so anyone else with experience with jet munts or cheetah on diesel and 5% oil?

raron455 12-25-2016 06:43 PM

I own a Kingtech 210, 170, and a jet muntz 160mk2, I run them all on JetA with 5% oil for that very reason.

jesse2357 12-25-2016 07:26 PM

no way to get jet A

ChuckC 12-25-2016 08:21 PM

Still some kerosene dealers in Houston, if you're just interested in jetA. Look for those that sell from the pump for heaters. They're around.

raron455 12-25-2016 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jesse2357 (Post 12289495)
no way to get jet A

Why is that?? Here in Waco I can easily go to 3 different FBOs and purchase jet fuel, it is a lot easier if I am filling my drum, but have bought it 5 gallons at a time. Its usually around 375-4.00 a gallon. It may be an issue at a really big airport, but shoulshould be no problem at a smaller airport.

number27 12-26-2016 01:00 AM

use diesel in my jets munt and kingtechs. same oil to fuel 20/1. dont need to change parameters in jets munt kingtechs need changing if you swap back to kero or jet a1

ChuckC 12-26-2016 04:53 AM

FBOs in Houston won't sell it anymore, unless it's for an aircraft or you have an account; at least around me, where I used to buy it. They contracted out services and the new management company set policies forbidding it "...due to liability..." Whatever-it's just kerosene. Sigh.

tp777fo 12-26-2016 07:57 AM

I switched to diesel 2 years ago with my Jet Central motors. They run great on it with just a little smoke on shutdown. $2 vs. $4 and its available everywhere. I also switched to Amsoil Dominator 2c synthetic motorcycle oil. Uses 1pt per 5 gal and gives fuel a red tint. Easy to see how much fuel is in the tanks.

melvin 12-26-2016 08:23 AM

+1

DrV 12-26-2016 10:21 AM

There is no problem running diesel with 5% oil in Kingtech and Jetsmunt. I have a K45 and two M140xbl. I have used Kero and when not available I just use deisel from a local pump. No change in parameters needed. The fuels can be used interchangeably.

Zeeb 12-26-2016 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckC (Post 12289550)
FBOs in Houston won't sell it anymore, unless it's for an aircraft or you have an account; at least around me, where I used to buy it. They contracted out services and the new management company set policies forbidding it "...due to liability..." Whatever-it's just kerosene. Sigh.

It's actually the EPA's doing. I used to fly with Jet-A as well and then one day the local FBO said that the EPA had prohibited over the counter sales of aviation fuel. Supposedly they wanted the snowmobile, motorcycle, hopped up car etc. crowd to quit using AvGas. But the notice the FBO's got didn't say AvGas but Aviation Fuel.

I switched to Kerosene as there is a local petroleum bulk plant that carries it and you can buy it by the gallon. I actually like it better than the Jet-A, it's not anywhere near as stinky. Diesel stinks about the same as the Jet-A.

Some guys around here have switched to diesel, I just really don't like the smoke or the stronger smell.

melvin 12-26-2016 02:17 PM

Kerosene $9 to Diesel $2 per gallon in Houston, I'll live with the stink! I just walk upwind when I shut down my turbine!

Shaun Evans 12-26-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12289676)
Diesel stinks about the same as the Jet-A.

Really? Interesting.

I think Jet A is much worse. It never comes out, either. At least Diesel smell wears down over time.

jesse2357 12-26-2016 06:13 PM

thanks guys I really just want to run diesel, sounds like people are running it in all the motors I'm interested in.Don't want to deal with driving around to get fuel. I drive a diesel as it is so I know where I can get diesel finding Kero, I've never seen it at a pump but I did look it up the nearest store that sells Kero is 20 miles away. Just a hassel I don't want to deal with when I barely get to fly as it is.

NICKELUP 12-26-2016 09:40 PM

I just got a kingtech k100 that the previous owner used kero, and I always run diesel in all my kingtech engines, do I need to change any parameter settings for start up, and running the engine?

Zeeb 12-26-2016 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by jesse2357 (Post 12289759)
thanks guys I really just want to run diesel, sounds like people are running it in all the motors I'm interested in.Don't want to deal with driving around to get fuel. I drive a diesel as it is so I know where I can get diesel finding Kero, I've never seen it at a pump but I did look it up the nearest store that sells Kero is 20 miles away. Just a hassel I don't want to deal with when I barely get to fly as it is.

Well be careful about the station you select. The storage tanks at gas stations are notorious for collecting water and must be drained/serviced regularly. If you get some diesel with water in it, things won't be good....

Zeeb 12-26-2016 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun Evans (Post 12289720)
Really? Interesting.

I think Jet A is much worse. It never comes out, either. At least Diesel smell wears down over time.

Well I have two diesel powered vehicles so I'm around that stuff all the time and I'll take the Kerosene over that or the Jet-A anytime....

Greg Wright 12-27-2016 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by NICKELUP (Post 12289801)
I just got a kingtech k100 that the previous owner used kero, and I always run diesel in all my kingtech engines, do I need to change any parameter settings for start up, and running the engine?

I run both fuels( Kero & Diesel) in my Kingtech motor and have never had to change any parameters for start-up or running.

AEROSHELDON 12-27-2016 06:55 AM

I have a Jets Munt that the previous owner ran Jet A exclusively in, and I can get Jet A but it is an hour or so round trip and Diesel is 5 min from home... so there is no issues using Diesel? I plan on 5% Mobil DTE Light as oil.

NICKELUP 12-29-2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Wright (Post 12289841)
I run both fuels( Kero & Diesel) in my Kingtech motor and have never had to change any parameters for start-up or running.

Thank you I will try it

AEROSHELDON 12-30-2016 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON (Post 12289859)
I have a Jets Munt that the previous owner ran Jet A exclusively in, and I can get Jet A but it is an hour or so round trip and Diesel is 5 min from home... so there is no issues using Diesel? I plan on 5% Mobil DTE Light as oil.

And if it is OK, do I need to make any changes??

c/f 12-30-2016 08:01 AM

Gas station kero around me is $4.39 gal, I found a farm supply Co Op selling RED DYED "NOT FOR STREET USE" Kero for $3.69. The counter help had no answer of the difference if any beyond the dye. I'm thinking the dye might be usefull with tank levels but dont want any issues if it stains or discolors tanks/turbine ect

Any thoughts???

DrV 12-30-2016 09:00 AM

I buy pump Kero and it has a blue dye. I have ran over 100 gallons through 4 different turbine planes without any evidence of blue stain in the tanks or the turbines.

Zeeb 12-30-2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by c/f (Post 12290915)
Gas station kero around me is $4.39 gal, I found a farm supply Co Op selling RED DYED "NOT FOR STREET USE" Kero for $3.69. The counter help had no answer of the difference if any beyond the dye. I'm thinking the dye might be usefull with tank levels but dont want any issues if it stains or discolors tanks/turbine ect

Any thoughts???

I doubt there is any difference between dyed diesel and clear. If you can use the stuff in today's farm and construction equipment with their fancy new low emission engines, there's nothing in your little turbine that's going to get hurt.

sjpateys 12-30-2016 03:50 PM

post deleted