RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11636609-introducing-top-rc-model-odyssey-new-sport-jet-build-thread.html)

i3dm 02-15-2017 10:50 AM

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

6 Attachment(s)
Hello guys,

I have acquired the first Odyssey sport jet to arrive in Israel by Sky Toys.
Top RC model is a very well known company in the scale RC prop planes field, that recently started producing jets.
once i saw this jet at Jetpower 2016 in Germany, i was hooked! it is simply gorgeous and the price was hard to beat!
The quality seems up there with the best of them and so is the finish, everything seems very lightweight!
Jet comes in a variety of colors and i understand there might even be an option for custom schemes.

so, i will make a build thread about this exciting new jet and will keep you guys updated with anything i find while im at it.

The jet's specs:
Length: 2320mm/91in
Wing Span: 2190mm/86in
Turbine: 10~14kg turbine
Radio: Min. 9 ~ 11 Servos required

Description:

1. Full composite construction.
2. All surface prepainted,decals applied and clear coated
3. Scale cockpit included.
4. Detachable main wing, fuselage and tailplane & vertical fin for easy transportation;
5. Removable hatch on fuselage for easy access into the plane and change accessories;
6. Functional flaps for smooth landing.
7. High quality CNC Alu push rod included
8. More than 95% assembled complete in factory.
9. Tail tube and fuel tank included.
10. Electric landing gear with electric brakes.

i am going to be using the following gear on the jet:

- ATJ 140 SV turbine (LOVE this engine!)
- Blue Bird BLS-3507 brushless metal gear high torque servos
- Emcotec DPSI RV Mini 5 power system with redundant lipo batteries
- Cortex Pro gyro

- Futaba 18MZ for control

Some pics as it is "Out of the box". and im attaching a copy of the manufacturer manual.
Thanks to Sky Toys for making this exciting kit available locally. :)

i3dm 02-15-2017 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is something a lot of manufacturers overlook - packing was absolutely amazing! this is how it came out of the box!

i3dm 02-15-2017 10:52 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Some more detailed shots of the kit, untouched yet.

Ceeray 02-15-2017 12:59 PM

Looks good and pricewise beats many others.

Do you think using 220SV with reducing rpms would do fine with this one? To save money by using same turbine for several models.. :)

i3dm 02-15-2017 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ceeray (Post 12306763)
Looks good and pricewise beats many others.

Do you think using 220SV with reducing rpms would do fine with this one? To save money by using same turbine for several models.. :)

Of course its possible.
Idle thrust will be high, but thats manageable, and otherwise should be fine.

FMRR 02-16-2017 12:49 AM

Hi I3dm, I am going to follow this build thread. Can't seemed to open your thumbnails for the phots you uploaded. This jet looks a lot like Sky master Dragon, wing tips are different but even the formers look like they are in the same location. You mention the tail surfaces can be remove for transportation. On the Dragon you have to remove the thrust tube. On this jet are the removal screws external ? And are there main landing gear doors ?

i3dm 02-16-2017 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by FMRR (Post 12306907)
Hi I3dm, I am going to follow this build thread. Can't seemed to open your thumbnails for the phots you uploaded. This jet looks a lot like Sky master Dragon, wing tips are different but even the formers look like they are in the same location. You mention the tail surfaces can be remove for transportation. On the Dragon you have to remove the thrust tube. On this jet are the removal screws external ? And are there main landing gear doors ?

Of course.
Send me a liat of any areas you would like to get detailed pictures of, ill post anything you need.

GULDUKAT 02-16-2017 01:40 AM

Subscribed. This looks very interesting.
Can you post some images or video or the landing gear once installed and operational. The gear looks too low for this size of aircraft. Also what type and size are the tanks supplied?

FMRR 02-16-2017 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by i3dm (Post 12306709)
Hello guys,

I have acquired the first Odyssey sport jet to arrive in Israel by Sky Toys.
Top RC model is a very well known company in the scale RC prop planes field, that recently started producing jets.
once i saw this jet at Jetpower 2016 in Germany, i was hooked! it is simply gorgeous and the price was hard to beat!
The quality seems up there with the best of them and so is the finish, everything seems very lightweight!
Jet comes in a variety of colors and i understand there might even be an option for custom schemes.

so, i will make a build thread about this exciting new jet and will keep you guys updated with anything i find while im at it.

The jet's specs:
Length: 2320mm/91in
Wing Span: 2190mm/86in
Turbine: 10~14kg turbine
Radio: Min. 9 ~ 11 Servos required

Description:

1. Full composite construction.
2. All surface prepainted,decals applied and clear coated
3. Scale cockpit included.
4. Detachable main wing, fuselage and tailplane & vertical fin for easy transportation;
5. Removable hatch on fuselage for easy access into the plane and change accessories;
6. Functional flaps for smooth landing.
7. High quality CNC Alu push rod included
8. More than 95% assembled complete in factory.
9. Tail tube and fuel tank included.
10. Electric landing gear with electric brakes.

i am going to be using the following gear on the jet:

- ATJ 140 SV turbine (LOVE this engine!)
- Blue Bird BLS-3507 brushless metal gear high torque servos
- Smart Fly power system with redundant lipo batteries
- Cortex Pro gyro

- Futaba 18MZ for control

Some pics as it is "Out of the box". and im attaching a copy of the manufacturer manual.
Thanks to Sky Toys for making this exciting kit available locally. :)

I like to veiw the pictures you already posted . Unfortunately they are not pulling up for some reason.

i3dm 02-16-2017 03:57 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Fuel tanks are 2, made from fiberglass.
Gear doors are included, nose door prehinged and inatalled!
Landing gear definitely not too low, i will make a video of them operating soon...

Trying to attach pics again, do these work?

GULDUKAT 02-16-2017 04:26 AM

Looking nice - good images. Look forward to seeing more updates. Also let us know how this compares to the T1 Fortune jet.

i3dm 02-16-2017 05:32 AM

Glad to hear the pics worked this time! I will keep everyone informed of progress during the build. i am hoping for a quick build (depends on my spare time, which is not a lot).

i can already tell you its completely different from the Fortune / T1, in almost every way, different design, different size, different building technique etc.

FMRR 02-16-2017 06:12 AM

I guess I'm the only one that can't open the pictures.... all I see is a thumbnail and a paper clip...nothing happens when I try to open it.. I'm really want to see and follow this build thread.

i3dm 02-16-2017 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by FMRR (Post 12306964)
I guess I'm the only one that can't open the pictures.... all I see is a thumbnail and a paper clip...nothing happens when I try to open it.. I'm really want to see and follow this build thread.

Please give me your email i will email you the pictures directly.

i3dm 02-16-2017 08:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's how the rudder and elevators come off.

i3dm 02-16-2017 11:07 AM

Here is a demo video of the electric landing gear as they came out of the box - very cool controller with Red and Green LEDs, manual button for non RC operation, and a stepped operation - impressive !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0DhyX4R_s4

i3dm 02-16-2017 12:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This little guy is ready for some serious action!

i3dm 02-16-2017 12:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Odyssey landing gear seems VERY beefy!

leelee 02-16-2017 12:47 PM

Looks nice, going to have to keep up with this.

RC_MAN 02-17-2017 01:05 PM

Are you going to Toledo?

sysiek 02-17-2017 02:00 PM

The gator rc have the jets in Toledo right next to the robart booth and I think the robart is the exclusive dealer for the us .

FMRR 02-18-2017 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by i3dm (Post 12306967)
Please give me your email i will email you the pictures directly.

I3dm - very kind of you to go through the trouble. I saw the electric gear video that came through, still no pictures. PM your email and I will forward mine...I did not see your email in your profile...thanks .

i3dm 02-18-2017 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by FMRR (Post 12307442)
I3dm - very kind of you to go through the trouble. I saw the electric gear video that came through, still no pictures. PM your email and I will forward mine...I did not see your email in your profile...thanks .

[email protected]

FMRR 02-18-2017 04:14 AM

Got it, just sent you email.

FMRR 02-18-2017 04:44 AM

Received your pictures, thank you. Everything looks pretty good .