RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Possible Fix for Clogged Fuel stick (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11641476-possible-fix-clogged-fuel-stick.html)

turnnburn 09-04-2017 06:50 PM

Possible Fix for Clogged Fuel stick

I have an old RAM 500 that has been sitting for many many years that I am trying to get running. I think It may have one or more clogged or partially clogged fuel sticks (needles). I would prefer to unclog them without taking the engine totally apart. I could use some good advice on how to do this, if it can be done.

I also started having troubles with the starter bendix not retracting at the appointed time. It had been working fine then all of aotol to the m sudden its hanging up. Any suggestions. Does the ECU send a reverse polarity signal to the starter motor to brake the motor and cause the bendix to retract ? I put in a different starter bendix and it works fine.

Thanks

Henke Torphammar 09-04-2017 11:09 PM

One possible solution would be to remove the electronics, submerge the engine in hot diesel and have the fuelpump suck through the fuel line. I have removed dirt from a gas needle with this method once. It won't need disassembly of the rotating assembly.

Justflying1 09-05-2017 01:45 AM

Just a note. I would be extremely careful how you are going to heat your diesel. Although Diesel has a flash point between 52-96 degrees c precautionary measures must still be taken. An open flame is not recommended and should not be done under any circumstances. Just my 2 cents worth ��

basimpsn 09-05-2017 06:00 AM

You might have to remove the can and gently pull each needle out of the burner tube, use a Propane Torch to heat each of them to a glow..that works for me. I believe the ecu have motor braking to help break loose the Bendix from the nut at a preset rpm.

Just my opinion

racer8297 09-05-2017 07:50 AM

I would try to blow compressed air in the fuel inlet. Start with low pressure, say 25-30 psi.

Also, STP makes a diesel injector fuel additive. If you blow it out as above and are able to get it started, some cleaner running through with the fuel may be just the thing.

Justflying1 09-05-2017 12:35 PM

I have no experience in working on turbines however when ever I needed to un block any kind of lines of all diameters I have always found and suggested you try to unblock it from the opposite end it entered. Blowing air or trying to unblock it from the point the particles entered could cause the particles to get further wedged inside the lines. I also find that the best way is to remove whatever is blocked etc fuel line ) so you can work properly on it. This way you can see what comes out of the blocked lines and not just blow it through the engine or wedge it further inside the line.

TimD. 09-05-2017 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by basimpsn (Post 12365606)
You might have to remove the can and gently pull each needle out of the burner tube, use a Propane Torch to heat each of them to a glow..that works for me. I believe the ecu have motor braking to help break loose the Bendix from the nut at a preset rpm.

Just my opinion

+1 he got it right.
Once the can is off pull each tube out to the side. Have propane pushing through the line and look at each flame, they should be identical in size. If not put a flame on it while blowing pressure through the line, you will see schmeg come out . Then reassemble.

erbroens 09-05-2017 04:59 PM

This worked for us once, a clogged P120 from a friend that forgot to install the fuel filter.
We used a syringe with a 3mm tubing and sucked out all the fuel of the engine. Then flushed and sucked the engine with clean fuel about 2 or 3 times.