RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Father Son Turbinator build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11643719-father-son-turbinator-build.html)

dwhorn 12-22-2017 04:35 AM

Father Son Turbinator build

First posting on this site for a build log My son and I are building a Turbinator. He cut foam cores and we are going with a 3 piece wing and
Wing tips will plug in. I am building fuse and tail surfaces.

We do not like the looks of the inlets and are redesigning. Is there a general rule of thumb how much air you need for proper cooling of the turbine?

grbaker 12-22-2017 05:53 AM

What size are you building?
I am fixing to start on another 125% Turbinator in the next few weeks. I got all the laser cut parts from Bob @ LDS.
http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=178
I have thought I might modify my inlets also, but have not decided. I know the standard size was been modified to look more like a F2H Banshee by rhklenke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_F2H_Banshee

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...5-size-13.html

dwhorn 12-22-2017 05:13 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Made some progress on the wings today. We hope to have wings ready for bagging by end of month. Bird is 70 inch version.
We purchased full kit from National Balsa. Laser cutting was good. If anyone looking for set of wing ribs let me know.

CARS II 12-22-2017 09:21 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Very nice! Another Turbo build, Im back working on mine, I have posted tons of picture for others to see in case they need help figuring out a step, the thread is active and on first page now, if you need help clarifying a step just ask.

Jannica 12-23-2017 01:07 AM

Howe do you folks generally finish your Turbinators? I´m building an all wood version of the Turbinator and I haven’t decided if I´m going to cover it with glass, epoxy and paint or if I´m going to cover it with Oracover. Do you usually build the long winged version or the shorter winged version?Merry Christmas from Sweden Jannica

dwhorn 12-23-2017 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by CARS II (Post 12392533)
Very nice! Another Turbo build, Im back working on mine, I have posted tons of picture for others to see in case they need help figuring out a step, the thread is active and on first page now, if you need help clarifying a step just ask.

Nice looking build! If I run into problems I will definitely ask if I run into problem,

dwhorn 12-23-2017 03:42 AM

6 Attachment(s)
The fuse we didn't care for the top deck, We wanted a sport jet look. I made new formers and sheeted with 1/4 x 3/16 strips. I had to bevel each strip to allow for a good glue joint. Aprx 10 hours of work to glue strip planking on and two hours of sanding. A lot work but it turned out nice. Today I tackle new intake ducts.

ravill 12-23-2017 08:16 PM

Nice work guys!

To the OP, I wouldn't worry too much about the intakes, turbines that kinda hang out in the wind are pretty happy overall.

DMehalko 12-23-2017 09:53 PM

Watching! I would be interested in the wing ribs as well!

i like the mods for the top deck you have done :)

CARS II 12-24-2017 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I will be covering mine with Ultracoat, my goal is to keep it as light as possible, painting adds weight, it is a much better finish but makes an airplane heavier. For the wing I decided to add the extensions on the tips to reduce the wing loading, my thoughts are that I will also get more lift during the hot summer months when the trust of the turbine decreases because of the heat

dwhorn 12-25-2017 05:51 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Carved out the new intakes today. They are 1 inch over size in the front and 1/2 at end. Will glass one intake and lay up one intake and see how it looks temporary installed. A-4 type duct, there will be no wing fillet on fuse.

CARS II 12-25-2017 06:58 PM

WOW! I like the shape of that intake, smoooooth.

dwhorn 12-30-2017 05:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The intakes I made didn't look right so in the garbage they went. The intake liners are 3/16 soft balsa with 1/64 ply glue on for strength.
Side of intakes are 1/8 lite ply. Tomorrow work on right side intake. Like the look in new intakes, reminds me of F-15.
Intakes will blend in with wing.

CARS II 12-30-2017 08:51 PM

I dig the new intakes, kind of what some guys did with the BTE Reaction 54.

yakoholic 12-30-2017 10:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Intakes look great dad!
The wings are coming along. Here's a pic of the wings taped together with the servo boxes in, wing tubes glued in, and landing gear blocks glued in. I made up some 1/8" wing spars and glued in the 1/4" x 1/2" spruce spars tonight more pics to come.

Boomerang1 01-01-2018 12:48 PM

Great work, always a pleasure to see a model made from trees rather than another plastic fantastic.
And, as you guys know already, you can modify them easily to make them a little different because
you develop the skills to do that when you build them.

dwhorn 01-01-2018 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boomerang1 (Post 12394579)
Great work, always a pleasure to see a model made from trees rather than another plastic fantastic.
And, as you guys know already, you can modify them easily to make them a little different because
you develop the skills to do that when you build them.

Thanks for the compliment., My Son and was over today looking over the build. We both agreed the
intake ducts need some more work, They do not flow with rest of model. More mods in the work!

yakoholic 01-01-2018 07:55 PM

Spruce spars are in, root ribs are cut to accommodate the 1/2" dowel and spars. I glued it and clamped it to my table to keep it true. I have one more half rib to put in and it will be ready for the skins.

yakoholic 01-01-2018 07:59 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Had a hard time uploading pics

yakoholic 01-01-2018 08:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

CARS II 01-01-2018 08:18 PM

Looking good!

yakoholic 01-02-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by CARS II (Post 12394712)
Looking good!

thank you!

dwhorn 01-06-2018 01:36 PM

10 Attachment(s)
The intakes are done! Top of intakes have pink foam glued on. Sanded them to shape and applied 2 layers of 6oz glass cloth
with West System epoxy. All the control services have 1/64 ply glued on trialing edges for added protection against hanger rash.

Fuse is getting close to completion. Stab will not be mounted until wings are done and we check incidence of stab and wing

yakoholic 01-13-2018 07:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
One wing in the bag. We put .007 carbon unidirectional on trailing edges and across the main spars. All glued up with West Systems epoxy.

dwhorn 01-14-2018 05:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Canopy was delivered yesterday.. Plan on building a turtle deck behind the canopy and blend it with vertical stab.
Feels great to work with balsa again! Time to decide what I what to build next !