RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Bvm p.n.p. cougar (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11643945-bvm-p-n-p-cougar.html)

Gkjr 01-02-2018 05:47 PM

Bvm p.n.p. cougar

Hi guys, i just ordered a cougar last week and expect it soon.
I intend to put a k-100 in it and spectrum reciever /DX18
with a cortex gyro.
I have been out of the hobby for the past 10 years and I would appreciate some tips and hints with this model.
looking forward to some great advice from other cougar owners.
thanks
Gerry Kerr

Mark Vandervelden 01-03-2018 01:31 AM

Hi Gkjr
I started a thread on the Jetlegend Cougar a while back. The JL Cougar is, in fact, the same Cougar that is manufactured by JL but solely distributed by BVM in the USA.
Its a fantastic flying machine well made and developed exclusively by JL and has sold well here in Europ quite some time befor it was introduced to the US.
Out of the box, the PNP version its a fine but a few mods make it even better.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...np-cougar.html

patrnflyr 01-03-2018 05:24 AM

I’d recommend this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...vm-cougar.html

also, would recommend going with the KT 120 for this plane in the Cougar. Had a 100 in mine and it just needed a little more reserve when it was dirty. Gears flaps and air brakes required about 60% power to keep it flying well. 120 is ideal and weighs the same

quist 01-04-2018 01:40 PM

We have a K120 in ours as well. It is not overpowered. It is a fantastic flying jet.

Mark Vandervelden 01-05-2018 02:35 AM

Mine had a Jets Munt 100 to begin with and it flew just fine but it was felt a little more power, say on a windy day wouldn't hurt.
To that end a Jets Munt 140 is now fitted (only other turbine I had spare) It is a small light turbine at only 102mm dia and 1400g.
I now use the same if not less fuel and have plenty of reserve power and it cruises around at about half throttle.
A small can 120n turbine would be ideal if you have
one if I were to buy a turbine specifically for the JL (BVM) Cougar that would be my choice.

Robzylla 01-09-2018 09:40 AM

I have a K120 in mine and it flys GREAT!

Gkjr 01-10-2018 05:43 PM

well guys, I received my cougar today and I have one thing to say .....
FANTASTIC !!!!!
the quality of fit and finish is great.
the value for the dollar is unbelievable.
I'm one happy camper !

A7Bldr 01-10-2018 06:28 PM

Which paint scheme did you get? I got the Red & white Navy/Marine scheme last fall.
It will fly with a JetsMunt 140.

Gkjr 01-10-2018 07:01 PM

the grey and white, I like it because it's not widely modelled

Gkjr 01-10-2018 08:09 PM

pic

[img]f9f8 gkjr[/img]

Dblex 08-12-2018 06:10 AM

anyone using the smoke tanks as fuel tanks??? Or is the standard tank plenty? I removed the smoke system too but the tanks are tucked in their nice and neat, not sure if removing them is gonna make a difference

Gkjr 08-12-2018 01:40 PM

fuel

with kingtech 100, 8 minutes is no problem with main tank.
flying it as a scale plane.

Dblex 09-05-2018 05:39 PM

Well, I finally got time to work on mine this past weekend. I thought I would share a few things I came across. First thing I did was pull the main fuel tank and update my fuel lines. There weren't any wire ties or clamps on the internal lines or clunk. (just my preference to wire tie them secure). I only changed them out because the fuel tubing in their seemed really limp. May have been in there a while. Not sure. Then I moved on to my turbine install. I loved how the rails are removable with a 2mm screws. This made for a really clean install. UAT/pump/receiver tray was next. My Cougar tray had the UAT mounts facing forward. I think this was a first generation design as the new instructions show the UAT facing the rear. I simply cut the glue joints and swapped them around. Then it was on to the battery tray nose section. Installed ecu battery and rx batteries in the recommended sections. Everything fits so nice and there is plenty of room to put everything you will need. So far I am impressed with the PNP Cougar. Testing the landing gear I did find that the nose gear was struggling to lock in the down position. Had to pull the UAT tray to investigate. Well worth the process as I found a air line T was pinching the nose gear hose. I simply re-positioned the T and let the air lines relax in a normal position. Air restriction fixed! Gear working solid! Really impressed with this sequencer and setup. This system seems to function well when the air pressure drops below failsafe. impressed so far! Now I can move on to the rudder and elevator install. This part was challenging for me since I found came across something that was the inspiration for this post. This is simply a knowledge share and not a kit bashing. I truly am impressed with this PNP.

Recently I have read a few post, heard a few rumors and get different variations on feedback when it comes to these PNP packages(servos, fitments, quality ect). With that said, I believe a lot of the responsibility of going through these planes does fall on anyone who buys them (the best we can) prior to test flight.

OK, back to the findings. Mechanical set up from the factory is pretty close. I only had to make a few adjustments to the linkage to get the setup the way I like it on the elevators and rudder. The biggest observation I made was the issue I had when setting up my control throws on the elevator. It was baffling me that I could not get the recommended throws in the manual. I remembered when I bench tested the elevator servo for torque I got a full throw in both directions (no elevator linkages connected) and everything seemed fine. Put the linkages back on and again, limited throw. Confused!!! So I decided to pull the elevator off again and take a look. When I put my hand on the servo cover of the elevator servo it seemed a bit warm. More than normal you could say. I checked the rudder servo and it was cool, checked the nose gear servo, it was nice and cool and yet the elevator servo was really really warm. Something wasn't right and binding for sure. Then it hit me! The trailing edge of the elevator was such a good fit on the hinge line that it was limiting my throws in the up and down positions. I ended up having to trim about 3/16 on the top and bottom to get the recommended throws. I used tape to protect the elevator and a thin metal ruler to put between the curved hinge line and trailing edge so that I would not cut into the actual hinges or nick the elevator surface. I used tape to mark my line and made all the necessary cuts with my dremel and small cutters wheel. Worked perfect! Really makes me wonder if the rumors/failures that have happened were issues due to improper mechanical setups?? hmmmmm? Anyhow...I will be back home on Friday and will move to installing the wings and setting up throws. So far I am in love with this plane! Sorry I dont have pics to share. Hotel Room Chronicles night!

A7Bldr 09-05-2018 07:08 PM

Thanks for documenting these things to watch for. Looking forward to your flight reports! Are you installing a gyro?
Jim

Dblex 09-05-2018 07:42 PM

No Gyro yet. Dieselman1220 keeps trying to convince me, Honestly I just dont know much about them to be comfortable. I know change is good....just not on this project! LOL

Your welcome for the feedback. Allot of folks helped me, so I am just paying i forward. My Skymaster F-18 had the same issue with the wings and I had to do allot of cut to fit on the ailerons and flaps to make it work. I was frustrated / regretful about my purchase. Come to find out all the Skymaster F-18 guys were running into similar issues. So it made me feel normal. LOL. At the end of it all I was very happy with it. Just had to be patient.

Not to mention, threads for this Cougar are limited. Allot of the feedback and information I got was by chasing down owners and talking via phone. If you need anything, PM me and give me a call. I can share the stuff I have heard so far. 90% Good! so dont worry! 10% of the negatives are VERY questionable.

Bob_B 09-06-2018 09:24 AM

Cortex gyros are easy to install and setup.
They reduce pilot load in windy/xwindy conditions allowing you to focus on flying the model.

Gkjr 09-06-2018 04:05 PM

gyro p.np. cougar

a well set up cortex pro gyro completely changes the flying characteristics of this plane for the better.
time and money well spent !

Dblex 09-07-2018 08:31 PM

brake question for the black box generation PnP cougars!

I have the newer sequencer in my cougar but I noticed tonight the brakes are on/off only. No pulsation? It says later models with the black box use pulsation in the manual???? But mine are definitely on/off only....

how are you guys using the on/off only brake function?

patrnflyr 09-08-2018 03:33 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...f84d9489b.jpeg
Not sure on the brakes but someone will come along in a little bit...

I just sold my white/red Reserve one to a friend. I turned around and bought another. It’ll be December before it comes in though. I was stationed at Kingsville in the early 90’s and wanted the VT-23 color scheme. Looking forward to getting another one. Probably the first plane I’ve ever bought back to back. Tells you how good it is.

JoelP 09-08-2018 04:48 AM

In regards to the on/off brakes, I just added a proportional brake valve and separate air tank on my pnp F-16.

Dieselman1220 09-08-2018 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dblex (Post 12461114)

I have the newer sequencer in my cougar but I noticed tonight the brakes are on/off only. No pulsation? It says later models with the black box use pulsation in the manual???? But mine are definitely on/off only....

how are you guys using the on/off only brake function?

put your brakes on the trainer switch so you can quickly bump them on and off. Then set the trim for the brakes on a slider so you can have a parking brake.
Dont forgot to lube them.

Dblex 09-08-2018 05:32 AM

Hey! Aren’t you guys suppose to be flying in Waco this morning!!??? My daughters game got delayed til midnight and we didn’t get home until 3:30am. Too tired to make the drive up!!!

thanks Diesel.. that’s what channel she is on for now... that will get me by for now. I was hoping I wasn’t missing anything with this controller!

Dblex 09-08-2018 08:28 PM

Wing socket head screws?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d109fac23.jpeg
Manual says 3mm but I am getting 9/64!! I don’t have a 3.5mm ball driver to test that size.....

can anyone chime in and your size with the new PNP Cougars?

Flyin-in-Bama 10-01-2018 09:27 AM

I didn’t read all the thread yet, but I thought I would answer this one.
i have a K140 G2 in mine.
i converted my smoke tanks to fuel, with each tank taking up one of the vents already installed.
i get way more flight time than needed. Lol.

super jet.

love it

Flyin-in-Bama 10-01-2018 09:35 AM

I didn’t have throw issues with mine, but What concerned me was only a single servo on the elevator with two linkage rods, this is a split elevator already, so I did a mod and made mine into separate Servos, one for each side, separate channel on receiver for fine tuning geometry. Installed inside stab, works perfect, now I have some insurance.