RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tail Chutes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11645261-tail-chutes.html)

JohnMac 03-07-2018 02:33 AM

Tail Chutes

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know of a company that can make bespoke tail parachutes? I am building a Tomahawk Hunter and making the FGA9 version, which had a tail parachute. I do not want a coloured one as the RAF used natural canvas.
Thanks

John

JSF-TC 03-07-2018 04:24 AM

10 Attachment(s)
John,

Details4Scale. They do a 16" and a 20" as standard sizes

I got one of their chutes in white for my DerJet Hunter. 16" diameter matched my 1/6 Hunter exactly. I had them add an extra slot (5 slot chute) to make it scale for the Hunter.

Don't be in a hurry though - mine took over 9 months, although the new ownership may improve things.

I scratch-built the installation, with a lite-ply box lining above the pipe, plus I 3D printed a combined single servo operated door release and chute release mechanism that works really well. The doors are spring loaded open and retained closed via the servo driven pin that also releases the chute.

I run it from a locking 3 position switch. The locking switch part came from an inadvertent in-flight deployment on finals at ~20ft that almost destroyed the model.

It's a tight fit at 1/6th scale - packing the chute takes a few tries to get it all stuffed back in.

It took a few tries to get the chute to deploy reliably - I use a fabric liner to the chute box attached to the doors that lifts the cute up as the doors open to get it to stream. Sorry, I don't have a picture of that and its hard to describe. You can just make it out on the rear-view photo.

Paul

JohnMac 03-07-2018 01:35 PM

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info. That is pretty much what I will be looking for, possibly dyed to match the RAFcanvas ones. My model is a bit bigger at 1:5 scale but then the chute will be bigger too. Yes it will all be a tight fit for sure.
I lobve the fabric liner idea. Much more elegant than some of the ideas I had that included sping load "catapult platforms" and an air vavle to blow air from a pressuried cylinder into the chute.
I plan to add a weight on wheels switch to at least one U/C leg, specifically to avoid any chance of premature chute deyployment. The benefit is that deployment can be preset and when model is on its wheels the chute will automaitically deploy.
I know about Details 4 scale but I would rather use someone else after recent events. No trust left for them I'm afraid.
Are you aware of anyone else making scale chutes?
Regards

John

DAN AVILLA 03-07-2018 01:47 PM

Details and Scale was purchased by Neil Smiley they are in Arizona now and you will find that service will be much improved. Dan Avilla

siclick33 03-07-2018 01:59 PM

John, I would be wary of relying on a weight on wheels switch for chute deployment. If you need to go around but can't prevent the touch down, if the landing is bounced or the microswitch sticks then you could end up in a very messy situation.

JohnMac 03-08-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by siclick33 (Post 12411644)
John, I would be wary of relying on a weight on wheels switch for chute deployment. If you need to go around but can't prevent the touch down, if the landing is bounced or the microswitch sticks then you could end up in a very messy situation.

Hi Darren,
As if I ever do bouncy landings! Yes, I take your point but I would have a manual switch as well, and I would use a logical switch with a short time delay. However, I will bear in mind what you sat Darren. Ultimately the third position of the 3 position switch would be a chute release switch.
Regards,

John

JohnMac 03-08-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DAN AVILLA (Post 12411642)
Details and Scale was purchased by Neil Smiley they are in Arizona now and you will find that service will be much improved. Dan Avilla

Hi Dan,
Sadly my recent experience has led me to believe that it would not wish to use either Dan Gill or the new guy in the future.
I spent a lot of money on the lighting system for my Hawk. What I got back then was fine, but the last transaction I did left me with a bad taste.
Hence I am looking for another manufacturer as my Hunter is progressing well now.
Failing that, has anyone got any experience of making their own chutes? Ideas tips etc?
Thanks,
John

causeitflies 03-08-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMac (Post 12411831)
Hi Dan,
Sadly my recent experience has led me to believe that it would not wish to use either Dan Gill or the new guy in the future.
I spent a lot of money on the lighting system for my Hawk. What I got back then was fine, but the last transaction I did left me with a bad taste.
Hence I am looking for another manufacturer as my Hunter is progressing well now.
Failing that, has anyone got any experience of making their own chutes? Ideas tips etc?
Thanks,
John

B-1 Bob, "1/2 time show", has some videos on YouTube of him making chutes for his F-105.

Desertlakesflying 03-09-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMac (Post 12411831)
Hi Dan,
Thanks,
John

Why put the new owners in the same boat?

The person you say "left me with a bad taste." has absolutely nothing to do with Details 4 Scale anymore at any level.

Give Neil and Marvin a chance to overcome that hurdle for you.

yeahbaby 03-09-2018 12:22 PM

Yup I ordered a SM F 4 chute from Marvin and received it a week later. I’m willing to bet they can farbricate whatever you need. Give em a call.

marvincooper 03-10-2018 05:34 PM

John,

Sorry you had a bad experience with Details 4 Scale in the past. As Neal, Grace and myself are running the business now. We strive to have great customer service and take great pride in what we offer. We would like to keep you as a customer and would like to have the opportunity to prove it to you. We would like you to give us a call and lets talk about doing a chute for your Tomahawk Hunter in the the FGA9 version.

Regards,

Marvin

Serving the RC Community

yeahbaby 03-10-2018 05:43 PM

Good man! Great things headed forward. Post pix once you get the product. I look forward to using mine on my F4

marvincooper 03-10-2018 07:20 PM

Will gladly post pics

Marvin

Serving the RC community

yeahbaby 03-10-2018 09:05 PM

I meant the guy with the Tomahawk jet once you build his chute.

JohnMac 03-11-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12412036)
Why put the new owners in the same boat?

The person you say "left me with a bad taste." has absolutely nothing to do with Details 4 Scale anymore at any level.

Give Neil and Marvin a chance to overcome that hurdle for you.

Yes done that. Nothing forthcoming. Anyway, like I said I am looking for alternatives, not to rake up history.
John

JohnMac 03-11-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by causeitflies (Post 12411837)
B-1 Bob, "1/2 time show", has some videos on YouTube of him making chutes for his F-105.

Thanks Mark,
That could be just what I need.
John

JohnMac 03-12-2018 11:50 AM

Hi Mark,
I did a search and came up with Bob testing some chutes, but I could not find anything about him making one. Do you have a link please?
Thanks

John

causeitflies 03-12-2018 01:04 PM

causeitflies 03-12-2018 01:09 PM

Go here and about halfway down the page are about 18 more chute making videos; https://www.youtube.com/user/hornitpilot/videos

JohnMac 03-14-2018 09:46 AM

Marvin from Details for scale has now been in touch with me and resolved my issue, for which I am most grateful. The package is on its way to me now.
I just wanted to set that record straight, having said what I did earlier.
John

yeahbaby 03-14-2018 11:11 AM

Good to hear amigo. Post pix once installed so we can all admire the excellent customer service.

causeitflies 03-14-2018 03:12 PM

That's great! Now you don't have to buy a sewing machine or listen to Bob. :cool:
Looked like a lot of work too.