RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Skymaster 1/6 F-18... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11652686-skymaster-1-6-f-18-a.html)

IFlyEm35 08-09-2018 11:48 AM

Skymaster 1/6 F-18...

I posted earlier looking for recommendations between the A-10, F-16, or the F-4. I originally left out the 1/6 SM F-18 because I figured it would be a little tight to get off my field. However, I am wondering if that’s actually the case. I would be open to the E/F or the C/D. Can I comfortably get them off of a 500’ fabric runway. I would be using twin K160’s.

Also is there any quality difference between the E/F and the C/D?

Thanks for any information!

Basspilot 08-09-2018 06:25 PM

I have the C version I am building now. Going with single K-310. Not sure about T/O perf but I can tell you that this airframe is a lot of work and do some research before flying with twins there have been multiple aircraft losses due to thrust alignment issues. That being said if your a F-18 fan this is a great scale kit.

IFlyEm35 08-09-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Basspilot (Post 12454045)
I have the C version I am building now. Going with single K-310. Not sure about T/O perf but I can tell you that this airframe is a lot of work and do some research before flying with twins there have been multiple aircraft losses due to thrust alignment issues. That being said if your a F-18 fan this is a great scale kit.

I have seen some of that. Is the alignment issues more of an issue for the tail mounted turbines or the mid mount? I was thinking it was just the tail mounted but I could be wrong.

Looping31 08-10-2018 12:28 PM

I fly with the C. 170m asphalt runway. After 50 flights, I’m sure I could take off and land from a 150m runway in normal condition, not too hot, not too bumpy.
No problem with thrust line (2 x Merlin 200 middle)
Arnaud

Desertlakesflying 08-10-2018 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by IFlyEm35 (Post 12454066)
I have seen some of that. Is the alignment issues more of an issue for the tail mounted turbines or the mid mount? I was thinking it was just the tail mounted but I could be wrong.

There are more issues with the mid mount since Skymaster has their tail mounted at the proper angle to produce forward thrust in an engine out. I've seen a few engine out and the seem to fly well still.

Shwepps 08-11-2018 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by IFlyEm35 (Post 12454066)

Yep, you are right.

gunradd 08-11-2018 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12454281)
There are more issues with the mid mount since Skymaster has their tail mounted at the proper angle to produce forward thrust in an engine out. I've seen a few engine out and the seem to fly well still.

incorrect. They do not have them at the proper angles. They don’t even have the left and right engine rails at the same degree of angle. I tried to tell them they should make jig so this could be done right. They dont. They also continue to ship them out with all the same problems. This airplane can be such a great product if they would have better QC and would have finished it.

Craig B. 08-11-2018 10:28 PM

What other issues did you see on yours Chris? I had same engine rail alignment issues on the f14.

gunradd 08-12-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Craig B. (Post 12454461)
What other issues did you see on yours Chris? I had same engine rail alignment issues on the f14.

just to make a few.... the quote pro installed gear had the air lines hooked up wrong it needs a separate air valve for a the unlock yet they hook it all together like it’s supposed to be this way.

Factory installed canopy mechanism was installed upside down. Since you don’t get any pictures on how it’s supposed to be it’s hard to figure out. It also still requires mods to work reliably.

Engine mounts come glued at different angles between the left and right engine and both are wrong angle and engine needs to be shimmed.

Ligh controller was dead on arrival.

Light connectors where crimped with with out the wires being stripped.... had to make all new connectors for the entire lighting system.

The nose gear part used for cat launches is way out of scale big and interferes with the cockpit.

Nose gear landing light is installed up in the wheel well and can’t be seen since the strut details are off scale.

saddle tanks had a very bad shape and also didn’t fit inside the plane. Had to cut them and reshape them.

Factory instructions for the flaps give it poor mechanical advantage. Can’t remember how I modified it but I changed it all around.

Flap and aileron bracket covers where all painted wrong colors for the camo pattern.

lots of misspelled markings. It was bad enough I was going to repaint the plane after the flying season. Also camo pattern on the belly was supposed to be soft edges and had splinter edges.

center drop tank is to big for the C model. It touches the main gear doors and nose door. I made it work but it’s to big. Might be right for the f model.

LEX fins where way to big and out of scale. I made the the correct size per scale measurements and gave them to Anton. Not sure if they fixed this.

Their is more just can’t remember.

95 percent of all this can be easily fixed with better quality control. It could be a great product if they gave it the attention it needs for a finished product. So when I see people building them with the same problems I had it drives me crazy.

Craig B. 08-12-2018 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info Chris.. That is not good on a model costing that much. I had to do a lot on my f14 too. Geometry on all wing servos was wrong, flap mechanism was abondoned in favour of external linkage as it would bind, engine rails were all installed at wrong angles and I completely reworked the nose gear to eliminate shimmying and improve steering geometry.

I think the nosegear gear on this f18is similar. I would be happy to show skymaster what I did but I am not sure they would be interested. No shimmy on my f14. :cool: