RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Cruise Missile AGM 86 A (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11653324-cruise-missile-agm-86-a.html)

jofunk 08-25-2018 05:04 PM

Cruise Missile AGM 86 A

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...aa06cbb6bf.jpg
Does anyone have or know where to find detailed dimensional information about this missile. It is an AGM 86 A prototype from the late 1970s. This picture is of it sitting at Hazy extension of the Smithsonian air and Space Museum. Detailed 3 views and cross section would be the ultimate find.I emailed the museum but it was a dead end. Unfortunately I presently live no where near the museum, so I am just doing some fishing for info right now.

Thanks,
Joe

tp777fo 08-25-2018 05:25 PM

That would be awesome. People would see that and totally freak out!

Smokeyr67 08-25-2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by tp777fo (Post 12457758)
That would be awesome. People would see that and totally freak out!

And that, as a community is what we want, people "freaking out" about our models

Halcyon66 08-26-2018 01:29 PM

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XZr3a

May help.

Regards,

jofunk 08-26-2018 05:18 PM

Thank you Hal66 nice find. That guy does some awesome 3 D work. I will contact him to see if he can help............. Yes 777 it would be awesome to see it fly like the full scale flew in flight testing, although the A version never went into weapon carrying service. Its brother the B version is a different story.................... So Smokey the idea is to build a unique flying model that does everything but a scale landing and not freak anyone out................If any one finds additional info. please throw a post up.

Thanks guys for the input.
Joe

tp777fo 08-27-2018 06:18 AM

Anything other than another Hawk, F16 or Havoc. Go for it. It will a wonderful project.

TCHIEF 08-27-2018 02:27 PM

Ryan compass arrow

I thought about a Ryan compass arrow It has a lot more wing area. Not as cool looking

SECRET AGENT 08-27-2018 03:19 PM

Those are some little bitty wings on that missle, makes the F104 look like a flying wing! You may have to fly that sucka hot!!

jofunk 08-27-2018 08:05 PM

Well the full scale flew on those wings and it weighed over 3000 LBS. I think the body is doing a good portion of the lifting. Hopefully it would not need to fly that hot.

jofunk 08-29-2018 08:28 PM

I contacted the person who did the work in the link on post #4 that halcyon66 put up. We emailed back and forth a few times and he came up with this so far on Sketchfab. Amazing. https://sketchfab.com/models/6b69e3f...a519cf41137e8a

2walla 08-29-2018 08:44 PM

with 700 lbs of thrust anything can fly lol..

Doug Cronkhite 08-30-2018 05:52 AM

It was also dropped at 400mph and didn't need to land on a runway.

jofunk 09-09-2018 04:07 PM

Here is a nice side view of some of the work

jofunk 09-09-2018 04:11 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...f342bd36b6.png

jofunk 09-16-2018 08:17 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...8c5d1a3ff6.jpg
Here is a little more work on the shape

patrnflyr 09-17-2018 11:42 AM

I guess I should just shut up and ignore this post, but I can't. It just boggles my mind that we would be considering building something like this with the lay public out there looking for any excuse in the book to try and shut down our models. Everything from Congress trying to impose laws that make model flying impossible to neighbors shooting down drones for the sake of national security. I seen this before when someone tries to mount Estes rockets onto their wingtips to fire air to surface rockets. Not that this model doesn't intrigue me, but it a slippery slope. I can imagine there's already people watching this thread in some basement in Quantico or Langley (as well as Muncie) putting it on the "watch list". I may be totally wrong about this so just ignore me if you think so...

John

rhklenke 09-17-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by patrnflyr (Post 12463667)
I guess I should just shut up and ignore this post, but I can't. It just boggles my mind that we would be considering building something like this with the lay public out there looking for any excuse in the book to try and shut down our models. Everything from Congress trying to impose laws that make model flying impossible to neighbors shooting down drones for the sake of national security. I seen this before when someone tries to mount Estes rockets onto their wingtips to fire air to surface rockets. Not that this model doesn't intrigue me, but it a slippery slope. I can imagine there's already people watching this thread in some basement in Quantico or Langley (as well as Muncie) putting it on the "watch list". I may be totally wrong about this so just ignore me if you think so...

John

You do have a point... Of course we, in the model community, know that a model of an AGM 63 is going to be too heavy and short ranged to effectively be used to do damage, but the perception of the general public, when whipped up by the news media in order to sell more dish soap, would be different.

Joe has done some really cool models in the past, but this one is curious. I don't see the appeal as I like scale models of manned aircraft. A model Reaper or Global Hawk does not appeal to me at all either.

Personally, I don't think it will fly. As a turbine model, its going to be too heavy and those wings are too small and *very* thin. It would have to be dropped from another model in order to get going, I think. Now *that* would be disturbing...

Bob

Halcyon66 09-17-2018 02:19 PM

Have to agree, yet they look awesome yet you will have issues with lift unless to make the wings longer and different profile. As above the "real" version is a cruise missile dropped from an airframe that is already going 100's of miles an hour.

These things only fly due to the complete over the top thrust to weight ratio's, and they were specifically designed to go one speed and not fly around like a foamy.

The other point as in the concern that authorities would not look favourably on this is also a pretty serious point.

Regards,

jofunk 09-18-2018 06:56 PM

Well, I didn't want to get anyone up in "arms" about this project, pun intended. Just a few things. The AGM 86 A is an obsolete museum piece from the late 1970s. The AGM 86 A never carried a weapon. The vast majority of people upon looking at it would not be able to tell you what it was. The model would be flown at R/C events. It would not be loaded with FPV and autonomous technology to fly around BLS, unlike the hundreds of thousands if not millions of quad copters (drones) that have been sold to the clueless public. The Idea of the dying art of scratch building an rc airplane is to create something no one else has. I fall to sleep at jet rallies watching countless planes show up that look like dolphins. The things need to be on fire or have something falling off of them for me to watch the flight. A little less boring is when 15 of the same exact scale F-16s, F-18s etc. show up from China. The AGM 86 A would be unique and an engineering challenge to construct and get into the air from a runway. I think it can be done. I don't see the panic when the thousands of R/C Reapers, Predators and Global Hawks are flown, among other things. Does Quantico , Langley and Muncie have those people on a watch list? The real Reapers, Predators and Global Hawks have much more current technology in them, as opposed to the pre loaded ground maps 1970s era AGMs used for guidance. If Q, L and M have this thread on a watch list they can read it and rest easy that it is about a radio controlled airplane. In the Mean time lets watch a few videos of people enjoying their hobby. (along with Q,L and M)

rcmigpilot 09-19-2018 04:24 AM

I'm not understanding the fuss about this being an early cruise missile as 98% of the people who would see it wouldn't know what it is. If we follow this logic and it's true that the politicos and general public would be upset by a model of a cruise missile then we need to strip all the bombs and missiles off all RC aircraft as most people know what they look like.

SECRET AGENT 09-19-2018 04:30 AM

I think it's a cool project and I guarantee the "authorities" won't care one iota in what you are flying. I also think you will have to modify the wings to get it to fly decent.

What kind of landing gear are you thinking about (since the full scale had none)?

rhklenke 09-19-2018 11:11 AM

I agree with Joe 100% on the dolphin jets and F-16's. I am *really* looking forward to see Joe's Vigilante! I just think that the AGM 62 is an unusual subject and there are a lot of cooler stuff I'd like to see, but Joe's the builder, so he can build what he likes, no question.

I do agree with the fact that nobody is likely to care, I just have seen too many "newscasters" go off and misrepresent so many things that I got caught up in imagining some local "reporter" with a story "modeler builds model of a nuclear-tipped cruise missile with real jet engine..." and then having it get picked up the AP wire...

Bob

Boomerang1 09-19-2018 02:41 PM

I think every experienced turbine flyer here knows the level of the technology available to us &
it's potential if we use it for evil instead of good.

Best to have the sheeple continue to think model aircraft are 20 inch wingspan & powered by a
twisted rubber band.