RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   JET A1 - How long does it last in the jug? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11657421-jet-a1-how-long-does-last-jug.html)

skunkwurk 12-01-2018 12:44 PM

JET A1 - How long does it last in the jug?

Hi Fellas,

I was not able to fly much this season and now the jets are packed away for the winter. I have fuel in two jets which I did not fly and a partially full 5 gal jug of mixed Jet A1. Any concerns using any of the fuel next spring? Next spring the fuel would be about ~8-10 months old at that point. Or would you recommend I empty (winterize) the jets and get fresh fuel next season? Any feedback is appreciated. I don't mind the cost, I just don't want to be wasteful. I would have to take it all to a fuel/oil remediation facility.

sc

Zeeb 12-01-2018 01:11 PM

The stuff is pretty stable and basically the only thing I'd be concerned about is the possibility of getting water in partially filled containers. There is one other possibility and that is algae growing in it but that's pretty rare. What I would suggest is getting yourself a Mr Funnel Fuel Filter, it catch any water or debris. Here's a link to their home webpage.

Home

skunkwurk 12-01-2018 01:15 PM

Thanks, Zeeb. Is Algae an issue with Jet A too or just Kero? I thought I read somewhere that Jet A had additives for that.

Desertlakesflying 12-01-2018 02:55 PM

Use some Sta-Bil for diesel in it and it will last longer.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sta-Bil-D...10f40e453e63fb

skunkwurk 12-01-2018 03:00 PM

Good idea for over the winter, but would it help if it has been sitting all season already? Typically over the winter I don't get too concerned as I keep the jug in the garage and jets in the shop. This year is a little different as I did not fly, so I have fuel sitting around from the end of the 2017 season.

Len Todd 12-01-2018 05:08 PM

I just fire up the jets once or twice in the winter to move fuel thru the system. Also, I have used old fuel from the previous year, several times. Never had an issue. But the Jersey modeler is relatively sealed.

skunkwurk 12-02-2018 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Len Todd (Post 12482879)
I just fire up the jets once or twice in the winter to move fuel thru the system. Also, I have used old fuel from the previous year, several times. Never had an issue. But the Jersey modeler is relatively sealed.

Thanks, Len.

Zeeb 12-02-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by skunkwurk (Post 12482839)
Thanks, Zeeb. Is Algae an issue with Jet A too or just Kero? I thought I read somewhere that Jet A had additives for that.

It used to, or at least some fuels came with Prist. Now if you want it for your airplane, the line guys have to add it while refueling.

I keep some BIOBOR JF around for my diesel pickup. It's a biocide and lubricity agent and I use it pretty regularly as the truck sits a lot and you cannot see the fuel. My model fuel jugs are pretty transparent so you can see if you got "bugs" as I call the Algae.

Oli did quite a write up on using biocides, not sure where it's at but I think it's in this forum or check Ultimate Jets website, he's got a lot of stuff published there as well.

David Gladwin 12-02-2018 10:48 AM

Jet fuel

If you guys want the real story about jet fuel contamination from particulates, water and micro bacterial growth take a look at www.aviationpros.com on which there is an excellent description of contamination management, particularly tbat aspect, water, and how it accumulates and can be avoided and detected, and how it is related to algae growth.

If you have algae growth in your fuel , it means you have free water (not dissolved or entrained) in your fuel as algae grows on the fuel/water. interface.

in another thread someone mentioned adding Prist to fuel. That is a waste of time as its an anti icing additive. If you are bothered by algecides, as mentioned, Biobor is the stuff to use and is an approved additive to jet fuels. Jet A1 ( not jet A) always has antistatic. added. .

It is simply not true that the water content of fuel gets greater as it stands during winter SO long as it is not open to atmosphere. The ratio of entrained to free water may change but total content will not. The article explains all that .

It all makes sense and explains the difference between jeta and jet a1, certainly my preferred fuel. ( having burned about 60 million litres of the stuff and about 5000 litres on model jet without problems ) !

flyinfool1 12-03-2018 12:18 PM

I have used 3 year old fuel with no issues. It did not develop water or algae. It was in a Jersey jug and that was kept in a cool totally dark place. Algae is a plant and most plants need light to grow.

JSF-TC 12-03-2018 01:24 PM

https://www.aviationpros.com/article...-contamination

Here's the direct link on fuel contamination that David G posted about. Took a bit of searching for on the website.

Paul

DrV 12-03-2018 06:57 PM

Add Biobor JF in the fuel jug now. When ready to fly next season, filter the fuel through Mr. Funnel and you are good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Biobor-JF-Die.../dp/B06XYTR8JW
Models

David Gladwin 12-04-2018 01:50 AM

Jet A1

The article was just one of many I have read recently whilst preparing an article for RCJI on the subject, but it sums up issues which are relevant to us quite succinctly.

One other aspect worth mentioning, covered in other articles, is that algae does not grow in temperature below 10 c , 50 f.

Stroring fuel in low temps. has a further advantage in that as the fuel temperature lowers it can contain less entrained, disolved, water, so the water forms as a liquid and sinks to the bottom of the container so it can be seen and removed.

The accumulation of this free water, released from solution, might be why some peole think fuel can accumulate water during storage. In sealed containers it can’t.

For those intersted there’ s a huge amount of info about aviation jet fuels, published by fuel companies and aviation regulators, all on the internet.

Ad Clark 12-04-2018 08:21 PM

Lots of good info. Thanks for posting it sir.

skunkwurk 12-04-2018 08:27 PM

Yea - thanks!