RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   F-14 Digital Airshow (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11657775-f-14-digital-airshow.html)

Chris Nicastro 12-09-2018 06:36 PM

F-14 Digital Airshow

The Sim world is getting pretty sophisticated and this is the latest from Heatblur who has developed this F-14 for the DCS World of flight sim.

Check it out, thought it was cool, would love to hear from some real F-14 drivers about sims like this.

Enjoy, and turn it up!

FenderBean 12-09-2018 07:41 PM

There is a youtuber who was an F-18 pilot who flew the the sim and compared it. Some of the virtual squadrons have crazy requirements to join LOL

THats probably EDFJim flying ;)

FalconWings 12-10-2018 03:48 AM

I don't use DCS, but I do a lot of work on Lockheed Prepar3D software and it also keeps getting better and better.

erbroens 12-10-2018 05:49 AM

I prefer the R (reality) simulator....using atomic particles instead of pixels. :D

the return to home button option also works well.

dionysusbacchus 12-10-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro (Post 12484772)
https://youtu.be/ok68NWILp1E

The Sim world is getting pretty sophisticated and this is the latest from Heatblur who has developed this F-14 for the DCS World of flight sim.

Check it out, thought it was cool, would love to hear from some real F-14 drivers about sims like this.

Enjoy, and turn it up!

Nice vid! I fly DCS in VR with the Oculus Rift, mainly the P-51, F-86 and the F-18C. I love practicing airshow maneuvers with the F-18. It is a steep learning curve, it's incredibly immersive with the VR and a Buttkicker under the seat! Nice to have when I can't fly RC, but it's nice to be in the cockpit!
This is my rig, no need to have a full cockpit especially with VR, because all of the twitches are interactive in the virtual cockpit. I just made it out of plywood and got the seat from a wrecking yard. (my cat Posh keeps the seat warm!)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...19548f0320.jpg

mr_matt 12-10-2018 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus (Post 12484924)
Nice vid! I fly DCS in VR with the Oculus Rift, mainly the P-51, F-86 and the F-18C. I love practicing airshow maneuvers with the F-18. It is a steep learning curve, it's incredibly immersive with the VR and a Buttkicker under the seat! Nice to have when I can't fly RC, but it's nice to be in the cockpit!
This is my rig, no need to have a full cockpit especially with VR, because all of the twitches are interactive in the virtual cockpit. I just made it out of plywood and got the seat from a wrecking yard. (my cat Posh keeps the seat warm!)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...19548f0320.jpg

Very nice setup, can you tell me more about the somputer setup? Especially processor and GPU? I am looking to get something similar.

THanks

FalconWings 12-10-2018 11:55 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...75c0ba387.jpeg

A customer's setup. This one runs on Falcon 4/DCS. That's me hot-dogging.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...43c653d67.jpeg

Another one of my customers. AS350 cockpit sim. I made the airport where he is landing.

FalconWings 12-10-2018 12:00 PM

Another customer sim, this one a B200 at my hometown airport in P3D. I also made that airport.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...b6c55e6bc5.jpg

Chris Nicastro 12-10-2018 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by FenderBean (Post 12484785)
There is a youtuber who was an F-18 pilot who flew the the sim and compared it. Some of the virtual squadrons have crazy requirements to join LOL

THats probably EDFJim flying ;)

Thats this guy, its a two part video and its interesting because you can see him revert to muscle memory and procedure a few times and he talks about the differences. Its interesting, and he leaves out the tactical stuff he can't talk about of coarse. Never the less he's an interesting guy who has had a pretty amazing career as a pilot and author, check him out. C.W. Lemoine

Chris Nicastro 12-10-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by FalconWings (Post 12484832)
I don't use DCS, but I do a lot of work on Lockheed Prepar3D software and it also keeps getting better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19rrSoY99Hg

Pretty cool, you do this for work or ?

FalconWings 12-11-2018 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro (Post 12485019)
Pretty cool, you do this for work or ?

As a hobby most of the time. But every now and then I get to do some work for hire. If I could do this for pay for 40hrs a week, I'd be rich. LOL!

dionysusbacchus 12-11-2018 06:46 AM

Full cockpit sims are neat, but impractical for most people. And when you want to fly a P-51 you are doing it from an F-16 cockpit, there are many advantages that VR has going for it. You don't need an expensive cockpit with instruments, in DCS all the virtual switches work. A basic cockpit, mine cost less than $100.00 will be immersive flying anything from WW1 to the present. VR is way more immersive than looking at screens and many new motion platforms are becoming available that would not work with a full blown heavy cockpit. It is impossible to convey the feeling of VR, it must be experienced, so if you have not tried it you will dismiss what I say and go for the eye candy set up, that's normal though. VR tricks your brain into thinking the experience is real, something monitors will never do, it's pretty cool!

I actually want to build an F-18 basic cockpit for VR that has the handles on the canopy frame, so that I can grab them to pull myself around to check my six, just as I would in the real deal.
Things up close in VR have amazing resolution, it's just things at a distance become fuzzy, but with advancements in technology, that will improve over time. With my set up I have my textures on high for aircraft and ground and super sampling at 1.7, this really makes the cockpits very crisp, I only have to move my head closer on some switches that have super small lettering, but once you know the cockpit you will not be reading labels.

Very nice setup, can you tell me more about the computer setup? Especially processor and GPU? I am looking to get something similar.
I got mine on Amazon, it's similar to this one, I just doubled the RAM on mine to 32GB. It's all about what you want to spend though, this system will run DCS just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Des.../dp/B07GK12DN7

My next upgrade will be the rudder pedals:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pr_pedals.html

dionysusbacchus 12-11-2018 07:25 AM

This is how VR feels if you could show it!

ravill 12-11-2018 09:05 AM

Um, friggin awesome!

How about motion sickness with the oculus (or any VR goggle really)?

I want one!

dionysusbacchus 12-11-2018 09:31 AM

Um, friggin awesome!

How about motion sickness with the oculus (or any VR goggle really)?

I want one!
It's important to give your body a sense of motion by positioning a fan in front of you. I built a small table in front to allow me to do that. It also will keep you cool and keeps the goggle from fogging, nothing worse than sitting there in dead air and getting warm, the sensation of VR will make you warm up. So keeping cool is a big one, don't over look it.

It takes time to get used to it, but the biggest inducer of motion sickness is yaw. Your eyes say you are yawing to one side and your inner ear is saying no you are not! Like I said you can get used to this, I've been doing VR for more than 2 years now and I know what works for me to limit this plus like I said you get your body used to the conflict. Also turning your head in the direction of the yaw motion completely eliminates the feeling of motion sickness. So standing and looking around does not cause any motion sickness, it is caused by kicking the rudder over hard for instance in a flight sim, or moving the view of a character from side to side in VR with the controls but not moving your head.

You will enjoy it though!

ravill 12-11-2018 09:38 AM

I have the PS VR goggles and the game that gives me the LEAST motion sickness is Valkyrie. That is a space flight sim.

But, I get motion sick with just about every game.

dionysusbacchus 12-11-2018 09:50 AM

Yea, I noticed that with Valkyrie also, must be because there is no horizon or up down, not sure. You should always start sitting and I can't emphasize enough, you must use a fan. When I'm standing for a game I have a fan in front of my play area, it's on me at all times, very important. Flight sims should not get you that sick as long as you are not crazy on the rudder. I have heard it does affect people differently, you may be one of the unfortunate ones!

ravill 12-11-2018 10:01 AM

Yes, I use a fan as well. I even will have a ginger beer before playing and will have ginger chews while playing! LOL

I'm not writing it off yet, the PS$ goggles are OK, but they are only 720p in resolution, so a higher resolution will also likely help.

mr_matt 12-11-2018 10:41 AM

THe problem I am having is figuring out how big of a computer you need. My son thinks something below $1000 (crazy) I was hoping below 2K, guys at my work are like hmmm $4K is more like it, just for the computer.

I have played for years (since the mid 90s) with head trackin VR and AR (real world weapons systems, with helmet mounted displays). I never thought it would catch on commercially because of the massive processing power needed to get it even close to "right". I was wrong I think. Another generation or 2 of the headsets and it will be wild.

As diony*&^& (sorry) is saying, I will go this way now as opposed to real cockpit mockups. If there ever was a real "game changer" for sims, this is it. IMHO

mr_matt 12-11-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus (Post 12485089)
Full cockpit sims are neat, but impractical for most people. And when you want to fly a P-51 you are doing it from an F-16 cockpit, there are many advantages that VR has going for it. You don't need an expensive cockpit with instruments, in DCS all the virtual switches work. A basic cockpit, mine cost less than $100.00 will be immersive flying anything from WW1 to the present. VR is way more immersive than looking at screens and many new motion platforms are becoming available that would not work with a full blown heavy cockpit. It is impossible to convey the feeling of VR, it must be experienced, so if you have not tried it you will dismiss what I say and go for the eye candy set up, that's normal though. VR tricks your brain into thinking the experience is real, something monitors will never do, it's pretty cool!

I actually want to build an F-18 basic cockpit for VR that has the handles on the canopy frame, so that I can grab them to pull myself around to check my six, just as I would in the real deal.
Things up close in VR have amazing resolution, it's just things at a distance become fuzzy, but with advancements in technology, that will improve over time. With my set up I have my textures on high for aircraft and ground and super sampling at 1.7, this really makes the cockpits very crisp, I only have to move my head closer on some switches that have super small lettering, but once you know the cockpit you will not be reading labels.

I got mine on Amazon, it's similar to this one, I just doubled the RAM on mine to 32GB. It's all about what you want to spend though, this system will run DCS just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Des.../dp/B07GK12DN7

My next upgrade will be the rudder pedals:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...pr_pedals.html

THanks, I will look at that unit from Amazon. I am also thinking about just getting the (external) graphics card, and using my laptop to see how it looks then just build a tower system up. What about the display itself, which do you recommend?

Also, and off the wall question, have you ever tried Nvidia Gamestream technology?

FalconWings 12-11-2018 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mr_matt (Post 12485146)
THe problem I am having is figuring out how big of a computer you need. My son thinks something below $1000 (crazy) I was hoping below 2K, guys at my work are like hmmm $4K is more like it, just for the computer.

I have played for years (since the mid 90s) with head trackin VR and AR (real world weapons systems, with helmet mounted displays). I never thought it would catch on commercially because of the massive processing power needed to get it even close to "right". I was wrong I think. Another generation or 2 of the headsets and it will be wild.

As diony*&^& (sorry) is saying, I will go this way now as opposed to real cockpit mockups. If there ever was a real "game changer" for sims, this is it. IMHO

Depends what sim you want to run. FSX? likely a $3K system. FSX is heavy on CPU speed. The new P3D v4 is 64BIT so it runs a lot smoother. Falcon4/DCS can run on a decent $2K system.
I fly mostly commercial, so I use this yoke/throttle quadrant (good gang for the buck) , It has reached it's end of life for me: https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/prod...ke-system.html
And these pedals: https://www.fspilotshop.com/logitech...als-p-953.html

If you're into VR, then P3D is NOT for you. Performance sucks.

dbsonic 12-11-2018 03:18 PM

>Also, and off the wall question, have you ever tried Nvidia Gamestream technology?

I have and it works quite well(GPU not on your machine, is in the cloud). But there are occasional lags in the highest res setting. Good enough for most games though.
But to get the competitive edge in multi-player you'll probably want your own box.
Luke, that's an impressive setup if you got with the RTX 2080. That's the top GPU out there and does the real time ray tracing. ..Of course I'm biased since building those chips is my day job.
Darren

Chris Nicastro 12-11-2018 07:02 PM

VR is the way to go so you don’t have to have a special cockpit with monitors anymore. The problem for me is the motion sickness which I never had a problem with until I went to Universal Studios in FL and tried a few VR rides. I wanted to hurl! So now I’m gun shy about playing VR games. I tried Oculus Rift on my PC, bought it as a bundle through Best Buy because it was $500 less. I had trouble with getting OR to work, I tried everything I could and then tried getting in touch with Customer Service but since they are a Facebook company I got nowhere with that. Long story short, refunded it but kept the PC.
I can say the basic OR software did work and I was feeling ok after testing it but I never got it to work with any SIM games.

Ive tried Track IR and that’s OK but you have to accept it for what it is. You have to look at the screen while pivoting your head to exaggerate cockpit view movement.

How many of you guys would like a realistic ejection seat to sit in at your desk while playing?
I think it would be cool to have a nice chair at least so you don’t have to have the full scale cockpit which takes up a lot of space. With a VR headset, nice stick and Hotas with a regular size monitor that would be a very functional set up.

FalconWings 12-12-2018 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro (Post 12485256)

How many of you guys would like a realistic ejection seat to sit in at your desk while playing?
I think it would be cool to have a nice chair at least so you don’t have to have the full scale cockpit which takes up a lot of space. With a VR headset, nice stick and Hotas with a regular size monitor that would be a very functional set up.

The guys from DMS LLC just liquidated a bunch of stuff, and they had F-35 Ejection Seat replicas like this one. Their F-35 setup was essentially that, a fancy desk to support the HOTAS and LCD's.https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...aa48e76e99.jpg

dionysusbacchus 12-12-2018 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro (Post 12485256)
VR is the way to go so you don’t have to have a special cockpit with monitors anymore. The problem for me is the motion sickness which I never had a problem with until I went to Universal Studios in FL and tried a few VR rides. I wanted to hurl! So now I’m gun shy about playing VR games. I tried Oculus Rift on my PC, bought it as a bundle through Best Buy because it was $500 less. I had trouble with getting OR to work, I tried everything I could and then tried getting in touch with Customer Service but since they are a Facebook company I got nowhere with that. Long story short, refunded it but kept the PC.
I can say the basic OR software did work and I was feeling ok after testing it but I never got it to work with any SIM games.

Ive tried Track IR and that’s OK but you have to accept it for what it is. You have to look at the screen while pivoting your head to exaggerate cockpit view movement.

You need to make sure your settings allow you to run apps that have not been approved by Oculus. It's in settings under general, click switch to the right on Unknown Sources. Without this selected nothing outside the Oculus store will work.

The reason I chose a comfortable car seat is because it may be cool to sit on a 2" cushion metal seat for a few minutes, if you are sitting in a chair for hours something like an ejection seat would probably kill my butt and back. (I have a reproduction F-16 ejection seat) It's just not needed in VR, because everything outside the goggles disappears and you are in the aircraft.