RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Pilot 1.8m Viper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11667293-pilot-1-8m-viper.html)

Ricko1 07-19-2019 01:35 AM

Pilot 1.8m Viper

Has anybody had some experience with this airframe ? Pilot have posted a video of this jet on their website and the flight is impressive. I have a VT80 turbine that looks like it will be a good match. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rick

swk550 07-19-2019 05:17 AM

I’ve got a 2.0m Viper on order. The container is scheduled to arrive San Diego the end of this month. PilotUSA advised they are taking orders for the 1.8m Viper and will ship on the next container. Should arrive around late October. I’m wanting one to use with my K85-G2.

Ricko1 07-21-2019 01:04 PM

Ok, this does not look good. No response yet. I might be volunteering to be be the new test crash dummy on this one, although it would be pretty hard to stuff up a Viper build. I don't expect mine to turn up till the supplier gets a new shipment in and that won't be till the end of the year. Will start a thread when it gets here.
Rick

Jeremy_D 07-21-2019 09:57 PM

Hi Rick,

I have the 1.8 Predator from Pilot and if this viper is finished anything like mine you won't have anything to worry about. Looks like it shares the same tank and header and comes with all the bits and pieces needed to complete the build. If you're in the area give me a buzz and come have a look, would be good to catch up with you again.

Cheers

Jeremy

Ricko1 07-21-2019 10:17 PM

Thanks Jeremy,

I saw from your posts that you were very pleased with your Predator and I was anticipating that the Viper would be of the same quality. Will definitely be in touch.

Cheers,

Rick

osvaldopv 07-22-2019 03:50 AM

Viper

Originally Posted by swk550 (Post 12538304)
I’ve got a 2.0m Viper on order. The container is scheduled to arrive San Diego the end of this month. PilotUSA advised they are taking orders for the 1.8m Viper and will ship on the next container. Should arrive around late October. I’m wanting one to use with my K85-G2.

hello, Does the Viper you order is No.1 scheme? (Red, black and white) because is strange that Lyman told me that in that container that arrives by the end of the month only have one Viper in that scheme. I wonder if we both payed for the same Viper.

Ricko1 08-14-2019 03:53 AM

Short video of the 1.8m Viper

gamalierlozada 08-22-2019 10:01 AM

I ordered 1 thru GJC and is supposed to arrive in their Sept container. So if everything goes fine (fingers crossed) I should have it by late Sept, early Nov. Once it arrives I will start a build thread here. Colors scheme is the AMG, got a JC Rabbit going into it and Sbus servos all around. Should be a straightforward build.

Ricko1 05-07-2020 03:18 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...19f9c9d42b.jpg
Kit arrived in early March. I am very pleased with the construction and finish. Powered with my old VT 80 from my Xcalibur. Just waiting for the flying fields to be opened and will see how she performs.

Brecht1 05-07-2020 01:43 PM

Hello Rick,

I’m building exactly the same one on this moment. I’ve installed a jetcat p100 in mine, so I’m pretty curious how it preforms With a vt80.

Ricko1 05-07-2020 07:25 PM

Two of my mates have the Jet Legend 1.8 viper which looks almost identical to the Pilot jet. One has a VT 80 and the other has a Kingtech 100. Both jets fly really well and have a ton of speed. I was just trying to save a few bucks on turbines and have built it so that I can swap out the engine between the Viper and the Excalibur air frames depending on conditions.

P.S. just had the good news that they look like they will open my local flying field next week. May need to dust off the trainer - nah just kidding. Have to go and charge the batteries in the TF P47.

Brecht1 05-07-2020 11:13 PM

Then you are with the lucky ones.
Here in Belgium we still are in lockdown due to the coronacrisis, so we are not allowed to fly. 😟

Ricko1 07-10-2020 06:05 PM

Brief update - I still have not flown the viper. Hopefully next month will get her in the air. I'm looking at replacing the stock wing tube with a lighter CF tube instead of the the bridge girder that came with the kit. It weighs 273 g. Apart from that just waiting.

Ricko1 09-17-2020 10:35 PM

Flew the Viper for the first time last week. Took two clicks of up elevator and was hands free. Very stable in flight. Set my timer for 5 mins and came home with a comfortable amount of fuel remaining. Had two flights and very pleased. Will inspect the airframe this week and make sure all is OK. Hopefully will put some more flights on her soon.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...7a67d61c9e.jpg

ozboofhead 09-20-2020 06:07 PM

Ricko1 - based on the amount of fuel left any ideas what you could set the timer to - perhaps 7 minutes?

Have a JetsMunt 100 and thinking about this as a possible home. Was this via Desert Aircraft in Qld?

Ricko1 09-20-2020 06:40 PM

The tank that came with the kit is only 2 litres. I'm going to stick with 5 mins at the moment until I get a few more flights but I am looking at replacing the stock tank with a Dubro 100oz ( 3 L ) tank. I have a friend who flys a Jet Legend 1.8 Viper with a KT 100 and he carries 3.6 L and sets his timer for 8 1/2 mins. The 2 L tank is too small. I did get mine through D.A.

ozboofhead 09-20-2020 08:02 PM

Thanks Ricko1 - appreciate the feedback on this - great looking model

Agrav8ed 07-13-2021 07:23 AM

I am curious how those who have this viper like it over time? How are they holding up over time? How do they fly?? Any tips or tricks?? Also, does the viper come with clear lenses for adding lights to the wing tips like the T1 does.
thanks,
Tone

Brecht1 07-13-2021 12:13 PM

Have only made 6 flights with mine.
It flies great, without bad habits up until now.

Mine came with glasses for navigation lights.

Brecht

Ricko1 07-13-2021 04:43 PM

I've had about a dozen flights on mine. In the air it flies great but on the first three landings was a dog with a death wish - bounced like crazy. Manual states CG 1cm in front of wing tube so took some weight out of the nose and brought it back to wing tube. I raised the nose gear supports 1cm further up into the fuse and stiffened the nose leg. Also shimmed the mains forward. That fixed my the landing issues. While I had the mains out also reinforced the landing gear blocks and ribs with carbon tow. Pilot cut most of the rib away for the bearers and both mine and my friends Viper ended up with cracks in the top wing skin above the mounts. We heard his crack when it was taxing out to the flight line. The servo mounts are pre installed so make sure you get sevos that fit, consider buying Pilots servo package. The 2lt tank only gives about 5-6min flight with a 10N turbine so my mate put a second 24oz tank on the CG under the main tank in his Viper. I'm going to do the same.

Rick

Agrav8ed 07-13-2021 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ricko1 (Post 12685897)
Also shimmed the mains forward. That fixed my the landing issues. While I had the mains out also reinforced the landing gear blocks and ribs with carbon tow. Pilot cut most of the rib away for the bearers and both mine and my friends Viper ended up with cracks in the top wing skin above the mounts.

Rick

Can you elaborate on this part a bit? Are the ribs just soft or just too much cut away? Do you happen to have any pics?
Thanks,
Tone

Ricko1 07-13-2021 10:20 PM

To shim the mains forward I placed some 2mm metal spacers under the trailing edge of the frames. My impression is the rib cut outs are too deep and they have cracked at the corners so we reinforced the ribs with carbon fiber past the corners.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e06f89390f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...80c4bc6c8d.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a5933ffce7.jpg
crack in top wing skin

Agrav8ed 07-14-2021 05:36 PM

Thanks for the pics and clarification. I will keep an eye out.
Tone

Desertlakesflying 07-24-2021 11:46 AM

And my bet.........it still bounces

n1169g 07-27-2021 05:33 AM

I have had the 1.8 and the 2.2 . I fly on a 400 ft grass field. The 1.8 crashed on first take off. I sent the video to Chief and was told I had the speed but I gave it a jerk that put it in a high speed stall .
The 2.2 I was more careful for 4 flights but the 5th the plane going down the runway started toward the fence where people were standing so I lifted it off and it did the same thing. I blame myself for not correcting faster.
Just thought a word of warning for you to think about and I have been told the same thing has happen to others. But when the 2.2 was flying it was great.