RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Battery warning (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11668237-battery-warning.html)

tp777fo 08-13-2019 04:44 AM

Battery warning

Our stuff has gotten more reliable as the years has passed. We (I) have become complacent in many areas. I almost had a major incident yester during a charge session. I was repairing lawnmower and placed my trusty Jersey Modeler fueler on charge. NiMh batts....no worry. The jug was on the steps of my shop next to my trailer and new RV. For some reason I looked up and smoke was pouring from my fueler. I grabbed it off the charger and ran into the yard down the hill from my stuff. Luckily I caught it in time and no fireball occurred. A few seconds more or leaving charging batteries unattended almost cost me my airlpane trailer, shop, all my jets and an RV. JERSEY MODELER is replacing the charger and battery for free....OUTSTANDING SERVICE for an OUTSTANDING PRODUCT! Be careful out there.

yeahbaby 08-13-2019 06:05 AM

Tom I thought the jersey modelers batteries were Nimh?

tp777fo 08-13-2019 06:55 AM

Your are correct Buck. Typo. My old steely fighter pilots eyes are quite what they used to be.

patf 08-13-2019 07:30 AM

I'd pay for video of that event! :P

yeahbaby 08-13-2019 10:02 AM

No worries amigo, so you used the supplied wall charger?

jet-lover 08-13-2019 11:48 AM

Great wake up call to us all!

LGM Graphix 08-13-2019 03:01 PM

You didn't happen to figure out what caused the battery to burn did you? I've never seen a nimh battery go up unless the charger was wrong for them. Would like to make sure and not make the same error if it was in fact a mistake. Glad nothing more serious happened!

yeahbaby 08-13-2019 03:10 PM

Agree with comments above, when everything seems to be working great with minimal headaches THATS when we let our guard down. Been there, glad you were able to save it from causing greater damage.

Jersey Modeler provides superb customer service...

sirrom 08-13-2019 05:07 PM

Batteries

I have a jersey modeler also, but for this very reason I put the battery on the outside of the can and remove it for charging. Also I am a little paranoid when charging something that could catch fire on a bucket of combustible liquid.

Patrick

jetflyr 08-13-2019 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=LGM Graphix;<SNIP> I've never seen a nimh battery go up unless the charger was wrong for them. <SNIP>

Many years ago, when LiPos were brand new, a flying buddy had his 4 cell JR Rx pack go up in flames at the Austin event EVERYONE [u]ass[/u]umed it was a LiPo, but was NiMh on an Graupner charger.
Ivan Munninghoff also had a 7 cell NiMh go up off an Astro charger ..... got my fingers singed throwing it out of the truck bed (good thing it didn't happen 5 minutes earlier while we were still driving!) flames and sparks are NOT fun!
ANY battery can burn! R-E-S-P-E-C-T is more than a song!
Greg

ravill 08-13-2019 08:06 PM

Shiza.... ugh

I leave my jersey modelers charging in my garage under my guest house with just about everything around it.

I’m going to have to leave it outside charging now.

tp777fo 08-14-2019 03:08 AM

This is not a ding on Jersey Modeler in any stretch of the imagination. I think the charger just crapped out as it was several years old. My system is at least 5 years old and had had a lot of use. I could have pinched a wire in the trailer door or something like that to cause the short. Im just telling the story for others to avoid a similar situation, whether it be fuelers, RXs, TXs or any other battery we charge.

flyloose 08-14-2019 04:30 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have 2 jersey jugs and they are absolutely awesome. But I must admit knowing they are NiMh I’ve been really complacent about charging safety. A good reminder to all of us for our batteries. I think I’ll charge my jugs out on the driveway with an extension cord....ya never know

wildnloose 08-14-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by tp777fo (Post 12543507)
This is not a ding on Jersey Modeler in any stretch of the imagination. I think the charger just crapped out as it was several years old. My system is at least 5 years old and had had a lot of use. I could have pinched a wire in the trailer door or something like that to cause the short. Im just telling the story for others to avoid a similar situation, whether it be fuelers, RXs, TXs or any other battery we charge.

Yep, after seeing the "after" pictures of friends who lost cars, garages, etc.. I never charge any batteries unattended.

yeahbaby 08-14-2019 09:08 AM

thanks for posting amigo, I didn’t take your info as a ding against jersey modeler, just great reminder about how I complacency can rear it’s ugly head. . Plenty of examples in full scale aviation.

LGM Graphix 08-14-2019 09:47 AM

I never took it as such 😊 it's just always scary when something happens and you can't figure out the reason why. I like to learn the reasons if possible so I can hopefully learn from them and avoid the same bad outcomes.
Good reminder to all of us though to not become complacent!

ravill 08-14-2019 08:42 PM

Yes! The same! Jersey modeler and crew have been amazing and their products and support have been amazing.

I just go into a “nimh can’t hurt it” mode.

DUCMOZ 08-15-2019 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix (Post 12543573)
I never took it as such 😊 it's just always scary when something happens and you can't figure out the reason why. I like to learn the reasons if possible so I can hopefully learn from them and avoid the same bad outcomes.
Good reminder to all of us though to not become complacent!

hi Jeremy, I used to race 1/12 scale carpet and we used to use NMH batteries. Those things go and some times explode when on charge without any reason and just number of cycles. So, the best is that to charge them at Lower rate and watch them when old.

Behzad

Craig B. 08-17-2019 07:47 AM

I had a NiMh almost go up one day. Felt it get very hot and terminated the charge before things went pear shaped. Now I don’t leave any battery type unattended whilst charging.