RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   New Flex Innovations Flex Jet Pro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11676035-new-flex-innovations-flex-jet-pro.html)

patrnflyr 03-05-2020 08:14 AM

New Flex Innovations Flex Jet Pro

Has anybody looked at the latest announcement from Flex? A new design of their flex jet that has a composite fuse and wood wing. They’re selling it as an 8S EDF but this design looks like it would thrive on a KT 45 or X45. They even offer a set of electric brakes/wheels/controller as an option. Anticipating a turbine conversion eventually. What are your thoughts?

https://www.flexinnovations.com/prod...exjet-pro-arf/

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e33325cf5.jpeg

Dansy 03-05-2020 01:34 PM

It seem overprice to me for wood wing on a tiny jet at $699....

Dave Wilshere 03-05-2020 02:37 PM

Really? I think it’s a bargain compared to some HH foamies when you read what is included!

Dansy 03-05-2020 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere (Post 12587389)
Really? I think it’s a bargain compared to some HH foamies when you read what is included!

Does that mean I cannot have an opinion LOL.....Well I do have one mention above!

T_CAT 03-05-2020 05:21 PM

I think the price is decent, not amazing, but not terrible. For comparison, the Sebart Mini Avanti can often be had for less (although how much less depends on the vendor, and whether a coupon code is offered) and includes JP suspension struts (the newer versions) with metal retract units, three servos (one for nose steering, and two nose door servos), fiberglass fuselage with balsa wings and horizontal stabs., and can be easily converted to turbine or remain electric. I don't see anything included with the FlexJet Pro that is mind boggling by any means. You still have to purchase the servos, power system, receiver, LiPo's, etc.

However, this FlexJet Pro intrigues me, and the color scheme that was chosen I absolutely love. I would have painted mine like it anyhow as I'm a fan of it. I'm really happy to see a fiberglass/balsa jet released in this size. I didn't expect Flex Innovations to do it, but I'm pleasantly surprised they did. Kudos to the them. As much as foam planes are fun, it's nice to finally see something in this size that isn't foam.

I'll keep an eye on this jet to see how well made it is and whether it's worth purchasing. Purchasing the first batch of anything though, I'm not particularly fond of these days.

Viper1GJ 03-05-2020 07:03 PM

I looked at the foam version thinking of K-45 turbine conversion but did not get it. I saw several issues with converting the foamy to turbine that were more work than I wanted to do. I think the airframe design would fly great and maybe this new one would be easier to convert than the foamy.

Bob_B 03-05-2020 07:35 PM

The FJ Pro has JP metal retracts and a refined version of their outstanding trailing link gear and JP Ball bearing metal wheels and rubber tires that are Ebrake ready plus full gear doors and servos to operate the doors and steering servo. It also has proper ducting. All this for $25 extra.
A very good value I think, even with shipping being extra.

PaulD 03-05-2020 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere (Post 12587389)

agreed! In the sense that I can’t believe what people are paying for foam airplanes.....

paulD

Dave Wilshere 03-05-2020 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dansy (Post 12587391)
Does that mean I cannot have an opinion LOL.....Well I do have one mention above!

We all have our own ideas...I’ve been around the hobby retail since I was born, I’m still trying to work out peoples priorities 😃
I’m sure anyone buying this will be happier with the investment than the poor folk who bought a Havoc Foamy with the upside down wing 😉

Dansy 03-06-2020 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere (Post 12587462)
We all have our own ideas...I’ve been around the hobby retail since I was born, I’m still trying to work out peoples priorities 😃
I’m sure anyone buying this will be happier with the investment than the poor folk who bought a Havoc Foamy with the upside down wing 😉

Yes we do...I don’t have any foamy, and my smaller jet is all composite...

patrnflyr 03-06-2020 05:35 AM

No one has mentioned here that it is also a bigger plane. 3” longer wingspan and length so turbine fitting may be a little easier . It does come at a 2+ lb increase in weight.

invertmast 03-06-2020 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12587438)
The FJ Pro has JP metal retracts and a refined version of their outstanding trailing link gear and JP Ball bearing metal wheels and rubber tires that are Ebrake ready plus full gear doors and servos to operate the doors and steering servo. It also has proper ducting. All this for $25 extra.
A very good value I think, even with shipping being extra.

I dont understand this marketing tactic.. “for $25 extra you get xxxxx items”. Why not just add $10-20 to EVERY airframe sold and just include that stuff as standard?

patrnflyr 03-06-2020 08:05 AM

I think he’s saying that it’s $25 more than the foamy. That doesn’t include the electronics except for the complex landing gear. EDF, servos for flight surfaces etc. the difference would be about $660 when you add the servos, ESC, EDF and received which the foamy has

Bob_B 03-06-2020 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by T_CAT (Post 12587421)
I think the price is decent, not amazing, but not terrible. For comparison, the Sebart Mini Avanti can often be had for less (although how much less depends on the vendor, and whether a coupon code is offered) and includes JP suspension struts (the newer versions) with metal retract units, three servos (one for nose steering, and two nose door servos), fiberglass fuselage with balsa wings and horizontal stabs., and can be easily converted to turbine or remain electric. I don't see anything included with the FlexJet Pro that is mind boggling by any means. You still have to purchase the servos, power system, receiver, LiPo's, etc.

However, this FlexJet Pro intrigues me, and the color scheme that was chosen I absolutely love. I would have painted mine like it anyhow as I'm a fan of it. I'm really happy to see a fiberglass/balsa jet released in this size. I didn't expect Flex Innovations to do it, but I'm pleasantly surprised they did. Kudos to the them. As much as foam planes are fun, it's nice to finally see something in this size that isn't foam.

I'll keep an eye on this jet to see how well made it is and whether it's worth purchasing. Purchasing the first batch of anything though, I'm not particularly fond of these days.

NO, I was responding to this post. I should have quoted it.
Bob

T_CAT 03-06-2020 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12587557)
NO, I was responding to this post. I should have quoted it.
Bob

I gotcha. The retail (not their preorder) price is reasonable for the FlexJet Pro, and certainly doesn't turn me away from buying it.

Tip22v 09-21-2021 07:25 PM

Is there a build thread for the turbine conversion? I’m about to start the conversion with an X45 and this is looking more difficult the more I study it. I’ve done several small EDF to turbine conversions and this one looks much more difficult than any of the others. E.g. there is no way to access the area where the turbine is supposed to go? Thinking about mounting the turbine where the EDF goes and getting a shorter exhaust pipe, not sure what that will do to the CG though. Any help is appreciated. I looked at the Wiki page but did not have much detail. -Tom

Bob_B 09-21-2021 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tip22v (Post 12695508)
Is there a build thread for the turbine conversion? I’m about to start the conversion with an X45 and this is looking more difficult the more I study it. I’ve done several small EDF to turbine conversions and this one looks much more difficult than any of the others. E.g. there is no way to access the area where the turbine is supposed to go? Thinking about mounting the turbine where the EDF goes and getting a shorter exhaust pipe, not sure what that will do to the CG though. Any help is appreciated. I looked at the Wiki page but did not have much detail. -Tom

If you mount the turbine where the EDF mounts you will end up with a heavy model as it will require extra nose weight. The empty weight of my model is 9.45lbs the models with the rear mounted motor are in the 11lbs range.

I converted mine. I posted photos in the groups thread. You have to work through the EDF hatch.

Did you look here: https://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wik...bineConversion

I used an HAB pipe and turbine mounts.

Bob_B 09-22-2021 12:15 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...45089d29a7.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...415bb9b26c.png
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d929053f7e.png

Tip22v 09-22-2021 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12695532)
If you mount the turbine where the EDF mounts you will end up with a heavy model as it will require extra nose weight. The empty weight of my model is 9.45lbs the models with the rear mounted motor are in the 11lbs range.

I converted mine. I posted photos in the groups thread. You have to work through the EDF hatch.

thanks for the info! -Tom

Tip22v 09-23-2021 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12695532)

Okay, after studying these photos and reading the wiki page again I’m feeling a lot more confident that this is not going to be difficult to do:) I bought another X45 for this project and unfortunately it would not start right out of the box, so I had to send back to Keith, I think the temp sensor is bad, but I’ll let the expert do a proper diagnosis:). Thanks for the help!

Bob_B 09-23-2021 11:29 AM

TIP22v I sent you a PM

Tip22v 01-10-2022 02:35 PM

Okay, I now have two flights on my FlexJet Pro. The first flight went okay, except I quickly realized that it does not want to roll with the flaps fully deployed. I also noticed during flight that my left main gear door broke a hinge in flight so the left gear door would not close. With full flaps she slowed down nicely, but the rate of decent was little more than I like (I just need to tinker with the flap throws until I find the right balance). On the day of the first flight I did not fly any of my other jets and at the time I felt the X45 seemed to push it around the pattern pretty well. Before the second flight, I configured the elevators to switch to Taileron's when the flaps are fully deployed. I also replaced the hinges on the left gear door (went with more robust Robart hinges). On the day of the second flight I flew one of my T1 minis, powered by an X90, before I flew the FlexJet. After flying the T1 (which is powerful and pretty fast), the Flexjet seemed really slow, even though I was flying at very near full throttle the whole flight. I have not checked the telemetry logs yet but I'm guessing it was not even hitting 100 mph. The Tailerons worked great, after some in flight testing, I put the flaps full down just as I started turning to base and the aircraft rolled nicely around to final, problem solved there:). I was a little nervous about the tailerons because I have never used them before, but they worked well. While I was flying around (second flight) I noticed the right-side gear door would not close. I'm thinking this may have contributed to my feeling of slowness as I'm sure that would create additional drag. After landing I checked the hinges on the right side gear door, they were fine so I'm thinking the servo just does not have enough gusto to close the door (I always cycle the gear immediately after take-off before the aircraft accelerates to higher speeds). I've got some more tinkering to do so I'm going to hold off on calling this one a keeper until I get a couple more flights on it. What I can say thus far is that I've got two other X45 powered jets, they weight 8lbs and 10lbs ready to fly, and thus far IMO they fly much nicer than this 12lb FlexJet, but this is all very subjective as we all have different likes and dislikes:). -Tom

Bob_B 01-10-2022 07:37 PM

While Ive never clocked my FJP, it easily does 140. I too cycle the gear at TO.

What pipe are you using?

Mine weighs 11.25lbs fueled so I imagine at TO its close to 11 and has impressive vertical after cycling the gear and raising the flaps.

I will say I flew mine as an EDF first and sorted it out over 30 flights.

paulsf86 01-10-2022 11:45 PM

With all of the Flex retract systems you must do and up/down gear cycle after arming radio. Otherwise the gear will retract while the doors are closing and jam the doors, often burning out the gear door servos. It is only a 1-2 sec up/down retract switch actuation but it must be done.

Tip22v 01-11-2022 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12710852)
While Ive never clocked my FJP, it easily does 140. I too cycle the gear at TO.

What pipe are you using?

Mine weighs 11.25lbs fueled so I imagine at TO its close to 11 and has impressive vertical after cycling the gear and raising the flaps.

I will say I flew mine as an EDF first and sorted it out over 30 flights.

wow, mine is no where even close to 140. I bought the pipe from FlexInnovations, it’s the pipe they make for this jet.