RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Futaba 18MZ vs. PowerBox CORE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11677501-futaba-18mz-vs-powerbox-core.html)

Springbok Flyer 04-16-2020 12:22 AM

Futaba 18MZ vs. PowerBox CORE

I am seriously considering this change (and yes I know there are other radio systems out there - but I don't want any of them). I am a very happy 18MZ user and have been for may years, but I feel like a change due to my dissapointment in the 32MZ and my preference is the PB CORE.

If there is anyone on here that have made this same switch - please let me have your observations.

Thank you

JanR

swk550 04-16-2020 05:37 AM

Futaba 32mz

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer (Post 12597200)
I am seriously considering this change (and yes I know there are other radio systems out there - but I don't want any of them). I am a very happy 18MZ user and have been for may years, but I feel like a change due to my dissapointment in the 32MZ and my preference is the PB CORE.

If there is anyone on here that have made this same switch - please let me have your observations.

Thank you

JanR

I have both the Futaba 32mz and the 18mz wc. I don’t have a Core radio. I tried a Jeti 24 and could not get used to the Jeti feel and menu configuration. I like the feel of the 32mz and the new menu icons look similar to the core radio. I’d like to see a comparison of program features, feel as well as rx options.

BarracudaHockey 04-16-2020 05:43 AM

I have flown others Futaba but haven't been a regular Futaba flyer since my 9c.

But I fly jets on the Core and love it. The feel is outstanding, the machined field effect gimbals are like butter, the RF link is rock solid and the while the programming is less intuitive than Spektrum, its much easier to wrap my head around the principles than Futaba and once I set up a model or 2 I can fly right through it now.

The telemetry is amazing, the isat gyro is a little beast. Receiver firmware is updated from the transmitter via the interface.

I haven't found anything I don't like about it yet

ZB 04-16-2020 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer (Post 12597200)

Thank you

JanR

It's like comparing Motorola Flip Phone with iPhone, Futaba is great 2000 technology.

jetguy34695 04-16-2020 06:49 AM

Futaba vs Core

I had been flying Futaba since i was 7 years old and i am now 60 i had always loved the equipment in the past i had the gold case transmitters then to the 9mz,14mz and then to the 18mz loved them all except the battery life on the 14mz i was on the team for 15+ years it was a hard decision to change to the PowerBox core system but like the previous post stated it was a great radio for the past but does not look like
futaba is looking at the Future their new 32Mz is still only 16 proportional channels like the 18mz with an added screen and model match the only real updates i now have all 9 of my jets flying on the Core and can not say a bad thing about it easy to program great telemetry and a very solid platform

FenderBean 04-16-2020 07:37 AM

JanR if you love you 18mz why change? I still havent found anything I personally cant do with mine. If you're looking for something in particular then thats another story. I have telemetry i need with the 18mz, all my turbine stuff, air pressure and voltages so other than just getting something new what are you looking for?
Ultimately the radio is for flying the model reliably and has what you want, some folks could use less distraction coming from all the voices on their radio for sure :D
I prefer less stuff in my models, I look at some of the other radios and you see soooooo many things which cost money, add weight and clutter. I have two small 3 channel receivers in most of my jets with one lead, makes less failure points, less clutter, easy of maintenance and less weight.
Good luck on your choice

AngusMc 04-16-2020 09:29 AM

Being a Futaba 18MZ user for 10 Years I made the switch due to some small personal reasons and went with the Jeti ds24, had it for about 1 1/2 years, struggled with the programming and did not like using the thumb wheel to navigate ( personal preference) was well invested in Jeti but took the plunge and sold it all and purchased the Core, best radio I have ever had, programming is easy ( its different ) love the feel especially with the suede grips and quality is amazing. Powerbox has great support and they listen; Richard is a true asset to Powerbox. Jeti and Futaba are both great radios all 3 are essentially the same for very basic core operations, beyond that they have their own way to achieve the same results.

If I lost my core today I would buy another in a heart beat

my two cents

Angus

JamesKNMA 04-16-2020 11:46 AM

I used an 18MZ for 8 or 9 years and also was happy, but as ZB noted the technology has changed for the better in that time. You may find the differences in programming odd after living withThe Futaba Way, but if you're like me once you get passed that you'll be blown away with how flexible the Core system is. I like the transmitter feel a bit more than the 18MZ, too, and it seems very well made.

FlyJ 04-17-2020 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by FenderBean (Post 12597270)
JanR if you love you 18mz why change? I still havent found anything I personally cant do with mine. If you're looking for something in particular then thats another story. I have telemetry i need with the 18mz, all my turbine stuff, air pressure and voltages so other than just getting something new what are you looking for?
Ultimately the radio is for flying the model reliably and has what you want, some folks could use less distraction coming from all the voices on their radio for sure :D
I prefer less stuff in my models, I look at some of the other radios and you see soooooo many things which cost money, add weight and clutter. I have two small 3 channel receivers in most of my jets with one lead, makes less failure points, less clutter, easy of maintenance and less weight.
Good luck on your choice

Side note - Have you found an air pressure sensor for Futaba telemetry?

FenderBean 04-17-2020 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by FlyJ (Post 12597609)
Side note - Have you found an air pressure sensor for Futaba telemetry?

Why yes I have :)
the Xicoy gear sequencer/failsafe has a port for futaba telemetry. I have been using them for a few years now which is why i decided to add Xicoy to my line up. lots of folks stay away because the programming confuses them but it has the best options for any sequencing u can find. The telemetry is simple, the only issue on my older 18MZ is the pressure shows temp so 55 degree is actually 55psi. You can set the pressure you want to for failsafe which automatically deploys the gear, and its tiny! To program it u need either the old style hand gcu or get one from xicoy.

patf 04-20-2020 06:38 AM

I changed from JR to the other J brand and am still transitioning. If I knew PB was getting the Core out as quick as they did I would have probably gone that way, but still happy. I wouldnt worry too much about the programming, if you figured out Futaba you will be fine with whatever you get. For your budget, i would add 50% for all the goodies you will want to include with the new system, and for all the different rx you will want. I didnt realize how many receivers i was going to need, and the sensors and other "nice to have" things available you will find a lot of new things in your cart at the end of a shopping session. I do see AeroPanda has some specials that include rx's with the Core going on.

DelGatoGrande 04-20-2020 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ZB (Post 12597241)
It's like comparing Motorola Flip Phone with iPhone, Futaba is great 2000 technology.

+1
Just have a look at what happen in the last JWM in China.
To an environment full of lock-outs Core proved the superiority of PowerBox technology.

FenderBean 04-20-2020 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DelGatoGrande (Post 12598391)
+1
Just have a look at what happen in the last JWM in China.
To an environment full of lock-outs Core proved the superiority of PowerBox technology.

futaba locking out has not been an issue except for the one receiver they pulled out of production, in this age of radios

snir2001 04-21-2020 12:22 AM

I used to fly Futaba for more than 30 years, and changed to FrSky, but I tried the Core and Jeti. it's amazing, the Futaba is not on the same league.
Futaba is so 2000's....