RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jeti LiIon RX batteries (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11680364-jeti-liion-rx-batteries.html)

tp777fo 07-07-2020 05:33 AM

Jeti LiIon RX batteries

Thinking about trying these on my next project, want something to charge without removing them from jet like my A123s. Next project requires HV so I cant use A123. Any comments on how they work? How do you charge the? All my chargers require a balance tab and a power cord, doesnt look like these have that. Thanks in advance.

kevinthoele 07-07-2020 06:16 AM

Tom

The charge rate on the 2600 is up to 4amps
charge rate on 5200 up to 8amps

They are great batteries and I like the mount they come with as well!!!

JSF-TC 07-07-2020 07:15 AM

Tom,

I have standardized all my jets to the Jeti Li-Ions only. I run 2x 5200mAh packs into a CB200/ CB400.

One battery is split off to also run the ECU as well as the radio. The other battery is split to feed the retracts/ brakes/ lights as well as the radio.

I can get 4-5 flights on my Merlin 140 powered Hunter and Ultra-Flash before I need to recharge. The first indication to re-charge is a failed start. As long as you can start, you have plenty of battery power to fly.

Charge them on the LiPo charger setting, and no balance tabs are provided or used. I charge them at 3A initially and they are done in 30-45min. They have an internal protection circuit.

No need to discharge to store them and they hold their charge for months. My batteries are 4-5yrs old and still perfect.

Paul

tp777fo 07-07-2020 08:13 AM

thanks guys. I love answers from the pros!

RCFlyerDan 07-07-2020 08:26 AM

Jeti Li-Ion Batteries

I love the 2S Jeti Li-ion batteries. I’ve been using dual battery set up in my jets for at least three years. Since I never remove them from the jet, I'm more conservative and my rate of charge is at 1.0 amp. Charging at home the night before, there’s no need to charge fast.

bodywerks 07-07-2020 09:51 AM

I got dual 2600A 2s receiver/gear packs for my Rebel Pro, and ordered a 3s2p 2600A(11.1V 5200mah) pack directly from Jeti in the Czech Republic to run my turbine.

kevinthoele 07-07-2020 11:19 AM

I agree with the lower charge rate as well. The quoted charge rates are from the manual that comes with batteries. I charge at 2 amps

HarryC 07-07-2020 12:26 PM

I use them as much as possible now. As well as the radio, I have run a Jetcat 160sx on Jeti Power Ion 2S 5200mah, run my airpump on them, and used them to replace the clapped out nicads in my workshop hand-held vacuum cleaner.
OP asked about balance lead, they don't have one so if your charger will not function without balancing....

Dansy 07-07-2020 12:50 PM

No pro, but that’s all I used for the RX’s when I can help (one jet on lipo) and really wish I could with the KingTech.....

tp777fo 07-07-2020 01:03 PM

Ok. Next question. What chargers do you use. All of mine require balance boards to charge.

Dansy 07-07-2020 01:33 PM

Frankly for the jet I used this very small box that I made....it’s got a small power supply and also a 6S Tatu 10,000mAh...

I got the events with the battery fully charge, and can top up my jets with only the 6s no need for power or generator..Also no need to store the battery unless you do fly frequently...so very little power is needed most of the time...

I also have boxes for the dual PL8 and another for the Single one from revolectrix...but are not used very often now days...

Can post picture right now.....Working now....

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d9330b4dd.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...99a6086b1.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...40e0edba6.jpeg

Bob_B 07-07-2020 05:22 PM

PL8 has a manual mode that allows charging without balancing.

Dansy 07-07-2020 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12616383)
PL8 has a manual mode that allows charging without balancing.

So is the little cheaper box I made.....6s charger, the 6s 10,000mAh is the only expensive part...

camss69 07-07-2020 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by bodywerks (Post 12616303)
I got dual 2600A 2s receiver/gear packs for my Rebel Pro, and ordered a 3s2p 2600A(11.1V 5200mah) pack directly from Jeti in the Czech Republic to run my turbine.

I’m really interested in how this setup works for you. I have dual Fromeco (not Jeti) 2600 LiIon packs in my T-1 Mini. I’m running Savox 1260 Mini Servos and a Jeti Assist 12 channel receiver. After the 3rd flight with the gyro on they pull the voltage down so that my low voltage alarm (set at 6.8v) starts going off. By the 4th flight it goes off quite a bit. This is during flight when the gyro is working. I’m not burning a lot of capacity out of the packs, so 3 flights and I’m putting about 450mah back into each pack. But the quick movements of the servos pull the voltage down enough to set off the alarm. The Assist works awesome, just last weekend I was flying in pretty windy conditions and my little plane was tracking straight as an arrow. Two other larger turbine jets you could see them bouncing around in the wind. I even had another pilot come up and tell me how smooth it looked. Debating if I want to use Lipos in the next plane to avoid the voltage drop.

skymaster68 07-07-2020 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=camss69;12616390]I’m really interested in how this setup works for you. I have dual Fromeco (not Jeti) 2600 LiIon packs in my T-1 Mini. I’m running Savox 1260 Mini Servos and a Jeti Assist 12 channel receiver. After the 3rd flight with the gyro on they pull the voltage down so that my low voltage alarm (set at 6.8v) starts going off. By the 4th flight it goes off quite a bit. This is during flight when the gyro is working. I’m not burning a lot of capacity out of the packs, so 3 flights and I’m putting about 450mah back into each pack. But the quick movements of the servos pull the voltage down enough to set off the alarm. The Assist works awesome, just last weekend I was flying in pretty windy conditions and my little plane was tracking straight as an arrow. Two other larger turbine jets you could see them bouncing around in the wind. I even had another pilot come up and tell me how smooth it looked. Debating if I want to use Lipos in the next plane to avoid the voltage drop.[/QUOT

I run 02 2600 mAh Jeti Liions on my Rebel 2m on a Rex12 and Cortex Pro always ON, just a DSM as switch no pwrbox or CB between them... I never had any voltage alarms what so ever, I fly 05 7min flight with them and never an Issue,
I also got a pair of 3100 mAh’s to power a Rebel pro that is coming g my way....
i love this Jeti Packs!!

bodywerks 07-07-2020 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by camss69 (Post 12616390)
I’m really interested in how this setup works for you. I have dual Fromeco (not Jeti) 2600 LiIon packs in my T-1 Mini. I’m running Savox 1260 Mini Servos and a Jeti Assist 12 channel receiver. After the 3rd flight with the gyro on they pull the voltage down so that my low voltage alarm (set at 6.8v) starts going off. By the 4th flight it goes off quite a bit. This is during flight when the gyro is working. I’m not burning a lot of capacity out of the packs, so 3 flights and I’m putting about 450mah back into each pack. But the quick movements of the servos pull the voltage down enough to set off the alarm. The Assist works awesome, just last weekend I was flying in pretty windy conditions and my little plane was tracking straight as an arrow. Two other larger turbine jets you could see them bouncing around in the wind. I even had another pilot come up and tell me how smooth it looked. Debating if I want to use Lipos in the next plane to avoid the voltage drop.

Fromeco hasn't gotten with the times. For their weak cells the best thing they ever came out with was the D-cup(big capacitor box to help keep current supply up). But then they discontinued it.
These new li-ions, particularly the ​​​2600A, have a continuous current rating of 30 amps and momentary rating of 60 amps(so like 12c continuous, 24c peak), whereas Fromecos don't really have a current rating, but we always limited them to about 2c.
That said, I will obviously be testing them before I put them to work!

camss69 07-07-2020 07:25 PM

Ok maybe I’ll give them a try then.

HarryC 07-07-2020 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tp777fo (Post 12616340)
Ok. Next question. What chargers do you use. All of mine require balance boards to charge.

my main one, in the workshop is Hitec A4. I forget which one I have in my flightbox. I also have other backup chargers. None of them demand a balance lead. They all do balance charging, they ask you to confirm the S number if you don't connect a balance lead, but none of them refuse to charge if a balance lead is not connected.

camss69 07-07-2020 09:01 PM

I need to get another charger, I recently sold off a few and went a little too far lol.

HarryC 07-07-2020 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by camss69 (Post 12616390)
I’m really interested in how this setup works for you. I have dual Fromeco (not Jeti) 2600 LiIon packs in my T-1 Mini. I’m running Savox 1260 Mini Servos and a Jeti Assist 12 channel receiver. After the 3rd flight with the gyro on they pull the voltage down so that my low voltage alarm (set at 6.8v) starts going off. By the 4th flight it goes off quite a bit. This is during flight when the gyro is working.

In my F-86 with 11 servos/valves and igyro 1e on ailerons, I run twin Jeti 2600mah through a Powerbox Gemini regulator, and fly all day on the original charge

David Gladwin 07-08-2020 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by HarryC (Post 12616413)
In my F-86 with 11 servos/valves and igyro 1e on ailerons, I run twin Jeti 2600mah through a Powerbox Gemini regulator, and fly all day on the original charge

.......and thanks to your recommendation, Harry, most of my fleet, including my new Moki 250 Sea Fury, are equipped with Jeti batteries with mainly Powerbox sensors and one Mercury.

No external balancer required for charging. Exceptional charge retention. My two BobCats last flew last September, two flights each, no charging on the twin 2600s , since. Voltage now still over 8v.

Perfect receiver batteries.

Bob_B 07-08-2020 02:18 AM

My charge case features a FMA Power Lab 8, Bump Controller (allows pre sets) and 24 volt power supply.
It will handle all battery chemistries.
I also have a 12 volt output for other devices.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...1c5e643e9.jpeg
Bumper controller in the lower left corner. RFID tag placed on battery is programmed to preset charger settings by “bumping” The tag on the bump zone. It keeps a history of charge cycles.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a1f4bd6ad.jpeg
Bumper controller screen allows manual input
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0438b4be92.png
Phone app allow you to monitor and control charger from your phone.

patf 07-08-2020 04:14 AM

ok I did not know what charge box envy was until now! thank you for sharing Dansy and Bob!

camss69 07-08-2020 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12616430)
My charge case features a FMA Power Lab 8, Bump Controller (allows pre sets) and 24 volt power supply.
It will handle all battery chemistries.
I also have a 12 volt output for other devices.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...1c5e643e9.jpeg
Bumper controller in the lower left corner. RFID tag placed on battery is programmed to preset charger settings by “bumping” The tag on the bump zone. It keeps a history of charge cycles.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a1f4bd6ad.jpeg
Bumper controller screen allows manual input
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0438b4be92.png
Phone app allow you to monitor and control charger from your phone.

Wow! REALLY nice!

E.N.T. 07-08-2020 05:35 AM

Do you buy the jeti bats. directly from Chek. or is there any supplier in the USA?

hmarmaizmd717