RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jeti Multiple Receivers - Dual Path or Clone (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11682006-jeti-multiple-receivers-dual-path-clone.html)

JSF-TC 08-24-2020 12:30 PM

Jeti Multiple Receivers - Dual Path or Clone

When I started with Jeti about 5 years ago, the favored approach for multiple receivers was to set them up in Dual Path mode. Since then I've seen multiple threads where Dual Path is compared to Clone mode, and recently Clone mode seems to be favored.

I'm not interested in Buddy Box setups, so that is not a factor in going either way.

I was wondering what the current preferred configuration is, and why.

Thanks

Paul

Dansy 08-24-2020 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JSF-TC (Post 12626881)
When I started with Jeti about 5 years ago, the favored approach for multiple receivers was to set them up in Dual Path mode. Since then I've seen multiple threads where Dual Path is compared to Clone mode, and recently Clone mode seems to be favored.

I'm not interested in Buddy Box setups, so that is not a factor in going either way.

I was wondering what the current preferred configuration is, and why.

Thanks

Paul

Been using Dual Path...all along, started with Jeti when the DC-16 started...of course I don’t remember when the first CB come out but I did get one then LOL

I don’t do buddy box either....And I never had any reason to change anything, I have many CB’s (100/200/220/400) and also used dual path in smaller jet with 2 RX....

HarryC 08-24-2020 01:13 PM

Double path. What's the point of a clone Rx that sends no telemetry? You will not know how well it is working or even if it is working at all!

Bob_B 08-24-2020 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by HarryC (Post 12626898)
Double path. What's the point of a clone Rx that sends no telemetry? You will not know how well it is working or even if it is working at all!

with one Rx in clone the Tx sees all four antennas

Dansy 08-24-2020 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12626900)

Not telemetry......

HarryC 08-24-2020 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_B (Post 12626900)

that's not what everyone else has told me. In clone mode it sends no telemetry, so it cannot send antenna data. Can you post a pic to prove it?

Bob_B 08-24-2020 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by HarryC (Post 12626911)
that's not what everyone else has told me. In clone mode it sends no telemetry, so it cannot send antenna data. Can you post a pic to prove it?

No telemetry but better reception in rf challenged areas here in the states.

JSF-TC 08-24-2020 02:21 PM

In Dual Path, each RX is paired with one of the transmitters in the TX and its 2 antennas. In Clone mode, I assume that each RX sees all 4 TX antennas from both transmitters, so increases its chances of a good signal.

I could see how that would increase the signal strength at the RX antennas, even though you don't get to see all 4 RX antenna signal strengths individually. I could see the same benefit for telemetry reception quality back at the TX too.

I've used Dual Path on all my other models, but wondering if I need to switch to Clone for my latest one that I'm setting up.

Paul

wfield0455 08-24-2020 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by HarryC (Post 12626911)

While it is true that you can't see or log the antenna values of a clone receiver a clone does provide the same antenna diversity and redundancy as a secondary dual path receiver which is really the only value of any sort of redundant receiver.

Viper1GJ 08-24-2020 04:44 PM

Iv'e been using dual path on all of them just because I want to see them both. I nearly always have near 100% Q on both except at one big event, but even then when one was lower the other was up. I think it was positioning of the antennas in a more challenging RF area than I normally fly. Never had any issues with Jeti RF so far.
Gary

F1 Rocket 08-24-2020 05:28 PM

I think there’s some confusion between clone and default mode. The default mode pairs both RF modules to a single receiver. You then have the option of pairing a second or third or fourth receiver in default mode and cloning all but one of them. Cloning sounds fairly ominous but all it really means in the Jeti world is that you have set the receiver to no longer transmit. A cloned receiver is still receiving the same instructions from the hand held transmitter. The handheld transmitter has no idea the clones exist. Now... why would you want to run in default mode? What we have found in the United States is that the default mode has better overall performance when operating in areas with a very noisy RF environment. In fact it works so well that we (myself and a lot of my customers) don’t even bother with two or more 2.4 GHz receivers. We simply run one receiver that has long antennas in default mode. This along with using the 900 MHz receiver if you are a DC or DS 24 user works very well in the toughest RF environments. If you happen to fly where the RF environment is relatively clean you will not see any difference at all between default and double path.

F1 Rocket 08-24-2020 05:38 PM

Adding more receivers, either cloned or in default mode might lead you to believe that you have better path diversity. But the Jeti system typically only uses the input from one receiver at a time. In the standard switch over modes for a central box the primary rx input must completely lose It’s input before it switches to the second or third input. So all of those extra receivers scattered about the airplane really don’t contribute as you might think they do. The more recent central box firmware’s feature a mixing mode which is intended to combine The inputs from multiple receivers into a single output to the servos. This would be great if it worked as well as it should but unfortunately it does not. Several reports of steppy servo movement as well as the fact that you cannot have one of the inputs come from a stabilized source such as an assist receiver or a cortex pro make the mixing mode not quite ready yet. At least that’s my opinion.

Viper1GJ 08-24-2020 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket (Post 12626987)
Cloning sounds fairly ominous but all it really means in the Jeti world is that you have set the receiver to no longer transmit. A cloned receiver is still receiving the same instructions from the hand held transmitter.

Thanks, Danny, that's the first time I really understood what cloning really means.
Gary

F1 Rocket 08-24-2020 06:11 PM

I’ve never understood why Jeti choose to call it that. I tried for years to get them to change it to something more meaningful. The suggestion was to have the option of turning off the telemetry on the RX. It’s either on or off.

ravill 08-24-2020 07:42 PM

Danny, care to elaborate on dual path vs default?

Your info is gold my man!!

HarryC 08-24-2020 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by wfield0455 (Post 12626937)
While it is true that you can't see or log the antenna values of a clone receiver a clone does provide the same antenna diversity and redundancy as a secondary dual path receiver which is really the only value of any sort of redundant receiver.

But without any data you do not know if its aerial placement is a problem, you don't even know if it's powered up and working. You could be carrying a waste of weight and money!

F1 Rocket 08-25-2020 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by HarryC (Post 12627022)
But without any data you do not know if its aerial placement is a problem, you don't even know if it's powered up and working. You could be carrying a waste of weight and money!

I was told once that the definition of faith is the belief in things that cannot be substantiated with physical evidence. So you just need to have faith :)

skymaster68 08-25-2020 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dansy (Post 12626887)
Been using Dual Path...all along, started with Jeti when the DC-16 started...of course I don’t remember when the first CB come out but I did get one then LOL

I don’t do buddy box either....And I never had any reason to change anything, I have many CB’s (100/200/220/400) and also used dual path in smaller jet with 2 RX....

Danny any particular reason that there is no cb210 on your list?

Dansy 08-25-2020 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by skymaster68 (Post 12627092)
Danny any particular reason that there is no cb210 on your list?

‘Because I don’t have 3D non jets.....and I’m not replacing the CB200 that have the overheat/amps strip in any of my jets...

I see no reason in my application to run the 210.....asked yourself this....would run any new build on a 200 if the 220/210 didn’t exist.....if yes then there’s no reason to run the 210....210 might be good for high power 3D gas guzzler.....but I sold all mine...

skymaster68 08-25-2020 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dansy (Post 12627095)
‘Because I don’t have 3D non jets.....and I’m not replacing the CB200 that have the overheat/amps strip

I see no reason in my application to run the 210.....asked yourself this....would run any new build on a 200 if the 220/210 didn’t exist.....if yes then there’s no reason to run the 210....210 might be good for high power 3D gas guzzler.....but I sold all mine...

Agree, I was just curious....