RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Is Sierra Giant Scale still in business? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11683491-sierra-giant-scale-still-business.html)

frank edwards 10-06-2020 01:44 PM

Is Sierra Giant Scale still in business?

Back in March I sent Sierra retracts a set of tires and brakes to be mounted to a set of retracks that they made. Somewhere in the middle of May, Darrel called me for payment, I gave him my credit card information, I was never charge however and the retracks were never mail to me. I've called every week since then and all I get is the answering machine! Does anyone know if they are still in business.
Anything would be appreciated. Is this the same phone # (440) 476-4885 that you guys are all using.

DrScoles 10-06-2020 02:31 PM

I talked to Darrel two weeks ago.....

JSF-TC 10-06-2020 03:44 PM

Frank,

Don't get me started on SIerra. Great products but lousy customer support.

About 4 years ago I had them modify a set of main gear retracts for my DerJet Hunter to put in bigger air cylinders and to correct the extension angle to get them to look correct (90deg to the ground). I talked to Darrell about what I wanted and sent him my gear. He turned them around an about a month and it fixed all my issues at that time. I was happy.

About 2 years later I asked him to modify a second set for a spare Hunter kit that I have. No problem he said so I sent him the gear. After about 4 months I started calling - just waiting on a drill/ reamer or something - only a few more weeks and I'll ship them out.....

Months later still the same, with more excuses.

Well over a year later I express my displeasure and politely ask for them to be completed and returned to me. I give it a few more months and now all my calls never get answered. Voice mails left with no response.

After about 18 months total, I send him a signature delivery letter demanding my property back, and informing him that I would initiate legal action against him. Again nothing.

Unfortunately, after speaking to a solicitor and being advised that I had done the right thing, it became apparent that the cost to get legal involved would far outweigh the cost of a new set of gear.

I walked away, determined never to do business with him again.

I know others swear by him.

YMMV......

Paul

uLTRASPORT1000 10-07-2020 10:01 AM

I have been dealing with Sierra Giant Scale for about 15 years, I don't know but maybe I'm just lucky. Every time I have called Darrel has picked up the phone and we had a productive and enjoyable conversation. What ever I have ordered has come in a very timely manner. A great resource.
Sam

ravill 10-07-2020 10:14 AM

Hmmm....Sounds like detail for scale.

How about the guys with good luck ask for the guys with bad luck?!

frank edwards 10-07-2020 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by DrScoles (Post 12636801)
I talked to Darrel two weeks ago.....

So you have talked to him. I was beginning to wonder if Covid had gotten his ASS, because every time I call him all I get is and I quote "Your call is being forwarded to" (and the #). I leave a message but never get a response back.

yeahbaby 10-08-2020 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ravill (Post 12636955)
Hmmm....Sounds like detail for scale.

How about the guys with good luck ask for the guys with bad luck?!

BAMMM. Would love to get a 1/5 th FW-190 but not if I can’t get decent gear and parts as necessary.

BearBow 02-07-2022 05:46 AM

1/5 Sierra FW-190 Retracts

I have a near-new set of Sierra Mains with upgraded scale wheels for sale. Can send photos. Were in my Top Flite Giant Scale FW-190. I have the 5/8” plywood block mounts I made to convert the Robart mount in the kit. Pm at [email protected]. Photos available.

patrnflyr 02-07-2022 08:16 AM

Use your wife’s phone and see if he answers it.

eazyp 02-07-2022 08:44 AM

He will rip you off

Stay away from this guy Darryle.He is still in business but he will rip you off in a hart beat. I’m just 2 hours away from this guy. I started a new company. met with him he talked a good one.wanted this guy to supply landing gear for five aircraft.strung me along for at least 6 months. Had to use a different phone at one point. He answered. I told him I was returning to his place and the next day a package showed up with the product that I left with him . But he never returned my money. I just cut my losses but he better he we never se each other in public.

JSF-TC 02-07-2022 08:52 AM

Eazyp,

That's exactly my experience with him too. I'll never deal with him again.

Paul

invertmast 02-07-2022 02:01 PM

My experience with Darrell.

if he has it in stock, you’ll get it pretty quick with no real after sales service.

if you need anything that isnt in stock, needs repairs / mods, it’ll never happen.

if you order something and it comes wrong, your stuck with it, he refuses to admit any wrong doing.

even some of his lomg standing products have issues (1/5 FW190 landing gear). Mine fell apart after only cycling them by hand 3 times.