RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Shipping to England (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11685683-shipping-england.html)

rjbob 12-14-2020 01:26 PM

Shipping to England

I've got to ship a WREN turbine to England for an upgrade.
Can anyone help with info on the most efficient method?
THANKS!

Dansy 12-14-2020 02:01 PM

I would say a courier of your choice....I had the best luck with Fedex and don't forget the insurance :)

Zeeb 12-14-2020 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rjbob (Post 12650299)
THANKS!

The shipping thing has gotten way more expensive and dicey with the Pandemic going on. I know a pilot for Emirates and he's flying 75% of his flights in a Boeing 777, hauling freight strapped to the passenger seats and the airline is making a killing.

In the old days, I'd have gone USPS but no more as there isn't any insurance. Left to their own devices, UPS and FedEx will whack you with service charges for Customs and such for which they really have no right, but they do it anyway. With the insurance and one of those two, it's 'gonna be pretty damn expensive. Most of these businesses have a discount deal with whoever they use for a shipper. Why don't you get in touch with Wren and see if they'll sell you a shipping label?

F900 12-14-2020 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12650357)
The shipping thing has gotten way more expensive and dicey with the Pandemic going on. I know a pilot for Emirates and he's flying 75% of his flights in a Boeing 777, hauling freight strapped to the passenger seats and the airline is making a killing.

In the old days, I'd have gone USPS but no more as there isn't any insurance. Left to their own devices, UPS and FedEx will whack you with service charges for Customs and such for which they really have no right, but they do it anyway. With the insurance and one of those two, it's 'gonna be pretty damn expensive. Most of these businesses have a discount deal with whoever they use for a shipper. Why don't you get in touch with Wren and see if they'll sell you a shipping label?

It will probably be more expensive for him since they will charge in UK pounds and it's never cheap..... I would look into DHL.

Andrew Bird 12-16-2020 04:47 AM

I wouldn't go near USPS with it. I'm in the UK and have had a few bits going back and forth between the UK and US and anything with USPS seems to just disappear in the system at either end for weeks. Anything that ends up using parcel force in the UK on arrival is getting heavily delayed as well. I had a package come in from the US a few weeks ago which I had sent on a 3 day service via DHL and while it was pretty expensive, it got here on schedule with minimal customs issues. I suspect companies like DHL, UPS and Fedex are the most efficient at the moment as they generally have better customs pre clearance procedures.

ZB 12-16-2020 07:32 AM

With upcoming BREXIT I would wait, they have no idea what is about to hit them.

FalconWings 12-16-2020 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by ZB (Post 12650609)
With upcoming BREXIT I would wait, they have no idea what is about to hit them.

This.

CRX Turbines 12-24-2020 01:34 PM

DHL these days is your safest bet. Going to UK and back. Fedex and UPS both like to bang customers for customs and duties even with service/returns which they are not entitled to do. DHL is a lot easier but might be more expensive. USPS is cheap but you can flip a coin with the results. We recently sent a turbine back to a customer in Canada and it wound up on a drunken ride all over Canada and made it with damages. An absolute waste on this one. They also lost a motor going back to UAE and it got lost in St Paul never to be heard from. So we were out the parts to fix the engine, the labor and we had to replace the engine as well. USPS never paid us back a dime.

Andy

Originally Posted by rjbob (Post 12650299)
THANKS!

raydar 12-24-2020 02:03 PM

DHL, fast and efficient. They calculate custom charges on pickup and allow the UK recipient to pay them via email bill, which prevents a silly receive at depot, send snail mail demand letter a week later which all ends up in frustrating delays and time where your package can go missing. Prob not the cheapest.

Zeeb 12-24-2020 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by raydar (Post 12652514)
DHL, fast and efficient. They calculate custom charges on pickup and allow the UK recipient to pay them via email bill, which prevents a silly receive at depot, send snail mail demand letter a week later which all ends up in frustrating delays and time where your package can go missing. Prob not the cheapest.

I figured they were the go to company as almost everything I've gotten out of Europe for the last year or more, has come DHL.

I'm just not sure they ship out of the USA anymore after they left a few years ago?

CRX Turbines 12-24-2020 08:27 PM

I called DHL a few weeks ago to set up an account for outbound (export). They did drop out of the US market but they will ship. Their rates are not competitive but they will get the job done hands down without BS charges to your customer and without incident. Assuming the value of the items being sent is high, this warrants higher than usual charges. When you see a turbine disappear at the hands of careless disconnected personnel there is nothing but regret that follows.

We have DHL here several times a week. They are the most professional team I have seen in a very long time. USPS should stop positing the American flag and the eagle as they are a disgrace.

Andy

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12652543)
I figured they were the go to company as almost everything I've gotten out of Europe for the last year or more, has come DHL.

I'm just not sure they ship out of the USA anymore after they left a few years ago?

FenderBean 11-17-2021 06:49 AM

I have a friend in England that has order stuff and sent to me to ship over and we always use UPS or DHL. I would ask who ever you are sending it to the best method because with their lock downs and holiday craziness you may want to hold for a bit.

egldriver 11-18-2021 04:50 PM

I shipped my turbine to Evojet in Germany via Ups 10 days ago, tracking says in route. 300$ shipping charges.

patf 11-19-2021 09:55 AM

Caution: you all are jumping into a year old thread!

cptnassos 11-19-2021 11:32 AM

New custom rules after BREXIT

modtron 11-20-2021 02:01 AM

As someone that imports and exports to and from the UK - FedEX are currently the best option for quick and efficient deliveries.
All of the others have many problems with current deliveries.

modtron
Oxford UK

Dave Wilshere 11-20-2021 12:05 PM

UPS work to U.K. from North America. It’s within Europe they have completely dropped the ball. Got my MAP delivery inside 4 days with UPS.
From Germany to England several weeks…

zx6rg2 11-20-2021 03:19 PM

Ups

I used ups to send a turbine back to Germany it was stuck in there customers for 73 days and it was only released as a friend of friend that worked for ups got it on its way ,then used FedEx and it was back in 4 days