RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Looking For A Location To Observe Turbines In Action (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11688536-looking-location-observe-turbines-action.html)

BVH* 03-13-2021 12:12 PM

Looking For A Location To Observe Turbines In Action

I've wanted to own and tinker with a gas turbine engine for 3 or more decades. I don't want one to power an aircraft nor any other vehicle. I simply want to periodically run it statically in a test stand. I'm looking for suggestions/help in finding flying fields or other locations where it is legal to run and fly gas turbines. I'm near San Luis Obispo, CA and am fine driving north or south to be able to see and hear some. All help is appreciated.

I've reached out to the Cal Poly flying field people but no response.

DGrant 03-13-2021 12:58 PM

There's a field down in Santa Maria, although I'm not sure they're flying turbines, they do have a few giant-scale pilots, and are a great club. Tri-Valley Flyers.. just Google it. They're on the south end of SM, right off the 101 @Santa Maria Way in the back of the Elks land area. I'm from SM and frequent that area and field.

Not sure how far you want to drive, but we have a few fields/clubs here in the valley too, that I belong to.. ClovisRC has several active turbine pilots. Every weekend the jet boys light 'em up... and there's a few stand out pilots that are doing tandem demo flying.. with a few more getting onboard to it. You can look at ClovisRC.club and at least watch a few videos and see what's going on out here in the big valley. ClovisRC field is probably a 4hr drive for you from where you are.. give or take... but you can surely get a show I would think.. We have events, including 2 Jet Rally's a year... one coming up in May I believe. That might be worth a drive, and a stay in a hotel, or better yet, set it up and you can bring your RV and camp it with the jet boys.. haha.. even if you're not flying. I've camped several events, including the last Jet Rally, and I don't even fly jets (I'm IMAC).. but I enjoy as many events as I can wherever they are.

There's a small club up near Paso too I think, and something up near Salinas, although Salinas is a short runway which doesn't bode well to jets, and windy all the time, as SM is windy in the afternoons... So get there early anywhere on the coastal fields. We generally don't have that problem here in the valley unless there's a system moving in.. but central coast fields are notorious for wind... just an FYI.

There also used to be a field on Hwy1 west of SLO between SLO and Morro, somewhere out on college land.. beautiful backdrop, but faces south, so sun/wind can be an issue mid-day too.. and yeah you might have found out already it's affiliated with CalPoly, and there's not much, if any activity.

So yeah, we're flyin it up here in the valley. ClovisRC.club ... check it out. :)

BVH* 03-13-2021 01:27 PM

Thank you very much for the very detailed response. The last field you refer to at Cal Poly is the field where my distant acquaintance is the president of the club. I don't want to bug him too much so have waited patiently for a response for a couple of weeks. I hate wind!! But at least it would not affect my static running of an engine.

I'm also looking at Jetbeetle.com UAV engines. They appear to be one level up from the RC turbines. 100 hr bearing changes vs 25 hr changes for all the RC engines. the particular one I am looking at is the H140. 110 lbs max continuous thrust and 140 lbs max thrust limited to 5 minutes. 6.5" in diameter and about 16 lbs. They are FADEC, kerosene start with a nice looking data terminal display. The website is nothing to write home about but I think most his clientele are UAV operators.

Jetbeetle.com

I wouldn't mind a road trip to see and hear the turbines and some good turbine fliers. I do love aviation and have a private license but don't really fly anymore. I'll look around at the clubs you mention. Thank you again!

Bob

Is there a reason that a person cannot "paste" outside generated text into a new message. I've tried a couple times but it doesn't provide a paste option?

CARS II 03-13-2021 03:33 PM

Maybe because you only have 2 post, try after 5 post.
The Clovis jet meet happening at the end of april will be a good place to see and hear turbines.

MarkF 03-13-2021 03:53 PM

How come we never heard of this company before? Or is it just me.

BVH* 03-13-2021 05:51 PM

Mark, If you mean jetbeetle, I didn't find them until the very end of my searching and reading about RC turbines, Swiwin, JetCat, Kingtech, etc. I think I searched using "150 lbs thrust turbines" or something like that. The website is not very good and it gives the appearance that they may or may not be in business. But I think they are geared towards the commercial UAV and jet assist gliders market where it's word of mouth and performance of the product that keep it going rather than advertising. That's just the feeling I get. I've emailed quite a few times with the owner/designer and he is quite helpful. I am not quite up to speed on pressure ratios but it seems like these larger engines have higher pressure ratios which eeks out more thrust per unit of fuel and I believe it is similar to compression ratios in IC engines. I don't know if these engines would fit into RC craft, even the huge aircraft. 6.5 to 10+ inches in diameter and 15 to 30 lbs. They look about the same size as RC turbines in his site pics but there is nothing to compare them with in those pics so I don't get a sense of their true size. But the weight speaks for itself.

Here's a 3-year old thread I found her on RCU: //www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11649096-jetbeetle-turbines.html

DGrant 03-13-2021 09:02 PM

There's definitely a criteria for what can and can't be flown at any field. The link provided leads to something that looks more UAV and probably not even legal in the US. Those products are out Taiwan if I read the information correctly. To fly at most any field, a turbine waiver is required, and if the model is over 55lbs, a large model waiver (AMA= LMA1, LMA2, LTMA1, LTMA2) waivers(respectively to size/power system), and in any case there will be a regiment of requirements for any prospective pilot to achieve before flying on any AMA field. So do the homework, as there's more to flying a turbine powered plane than any other type of model.

I totally admire the jets, and my friends fly jets... some of them fly big jets and are LTMA2 certified. I just fly IMAC.. albeit 40%-43% models.. no turbines here... I hope to see you at an event!

PS for Carlos.. I hope to see you at our next event as well. You'll be blown away by what they've done lately. It's so cool!!..

CARS II 03-13-2021 09:06 PM

I will be there starting on Thursday.

BVH* 03-14-2021 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by DGrant (Post 12668476)
There's definitely a criteria for what can and can't be flown at any field. The link provided leads to something that looks more UAV and probably not even legal in the US. Those products are out Taiwan if I read the information correctly. To fly at most any field, a turbine waiver is required, and if the model is over 55lbs, a large model waiver (AMA= LMA1, LMA2, LTMA1, LTMA2) waivers(respectively to size/power system), and in any case there will be a regiment of requirements for any prospective pilot to achieve before flying on any AMA field. So do the homework, as there's more to flying a turbine powered plane than any other type of model.

I totally admire the jets, and my friends fly jets... some of them fly big jets and are LTMA2 certified. I just fly IMAC.. albeit 40%-43% models.. no turbines here... I hope to see you at an event!

PS for Carlos.. I hope to see you at our next event as well. You'll be blown away by what they've done lately. It's so cool!!..

All very good points for me to research. I can't seem to get a handle on whether the static operation of an engine on the ground at a field would be under the same rules and regulations that pertain to actual flying of an aircraft.

jvaliensi 03-14-2021 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by BVH* (Post 12668513)
All very good points for me to research. I can't seem to get a handle on whether the static operation of an engine on the ground at a field would be under the same rules and regulations that pertain to actual flying of an aircraft.

If it cannot/does not fly, it is not an aircraft. You can strap a turbine to your skateboard and have a blast, the FAA will not come after you.
Seriously, if you are even in the 818 area come to Apollo Field in Sepulveda basin - any weekend there are a dozen or more jets flying (as long as VNY is not using runway 34)

DGrant 03-14-2021 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by BVH* (Post 12668513)

Much of that might depend on membership in a given club, and any club rules that might apply if you want to simply run an engine or turbine on club property. Same would apply if you run something on your own property, which we all can run anything within reason on our own property.. even in neighborhoods, abiding by sound restrictions, there's really no reason why someone can't run an engine. I run 200cc gas engines, motorcyles, play rock-n-roll music, etc.. and if I wanted to run a turbine engine, there's no reason I couldn't if I'm within reason, so the above comment is very strange.

Clubs are private, and running of an engine of whatever variety is up to any particular club. As a member of 4 different clubs, I can run most anything at any club, but I'm a member, and I'm able to pick and choose the best club for whatever need I have..
If you actually belong to a club, there's an excellent chance(99,9%) you can test whatever engine/type you want and do it at your leisure. If you want to fly a turbine powered plane, as well.... get the proper waivers(going through proper channels) and if a club allows turbine you're fine. It's up to a club though as to what's allowed and what's not, as far as static running. Get to one and make friends.. that's your best bet.

Flying is another story, and any club worth their salt will have people in place that make very sure that only qualified/certified pilots fly turbine powered models... and anyone operating a turbine should have proper/sufficient liability insurance as well. If one can afford a turbine engine, one can afford insurance.

If you want to run a turbine engine though, you don't need a club... and there are no rules. The only rules apply is when you come onto someone elses property or into a private club, then you should abide by their rules. Whatever happens after that is up to you.

I'll say as well, if a person can afford a turbine engine(especially larger turbine).. that same person can and should be able to afford a place to run it, or membership(s) to a club(s) to run it. Just food for thought. I hope you find your jet gigs. :)

DGrant 03-14-2021 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by CARS II (Post 12668478)
I will be there starting on Thursday.

That's awesome. I'll try to look you up. You'll have a great time. I was out today and the guys were practicing their tandem routine.. I'm sure gearing up for the event. Hope to see you there!

CRX Turbines 03-14-2021 09:14 PM

I did work with Jet Beetle for a period of time. They are in the range of 150 and 250 pound turbines. And yes the mean time between maintenance periods is at least 100 hours. These are far above what would be used in RC applications so this is probably why you have not heard of them.

The website is here:
Jetbeetle--Affordable Micro/Mini/Small Jet Engines

BVH we are still able to get these engines. The cost on these is quite high in relation to what you and I discussed.

Originally Posted by MarkF (Post 12668446)
How come we never heard of this company before? Or is it just me.

BVH* 03-14-2021 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=DGrant;12668651]Much of that might depend on membership in a given club, and any club rules that might apply if you want to simply run an engine or turbine on club property. Same would apply if you run something on your own property, which we all can run anything within reason on our own property.. even in neighborhoods, abiding by sound restrictions, there's really no reason why someone can't run an engine. I run 200cc gas engines, motorcyles, play rock-n-roll music, etc.. and if I wanted to run a turbine engine, there's no reason I couldn't if I'm within reason, so the above comment is very strange.

Clubs are private, and running of an engine of whatever variety is up to any particular club. As a member of 4 different clubs, I can run most anything at any club, but I'm a member, and I'm able to pick and choose the best club for whatever need I have..
If you actually belong to a club, there's an excellent chance(99,9%) you can test whatever engine/type you want and do it at your leisure. If you want to fly a turbine powered plane, as well.... get the proper waivers(going through proper channels) and if a club allows turbine you're fine. It's up to a club though as to what's allowed and what's not, as far as static running. Get to one and make friends.. that's your best bet.

Originally Posted by DGrant (Post 12668651)
Much of that might depend on membership in a given club, and any club rules that might apply if you want to simply run an engine or turbine on club property. Same would apply if you run something on your own property, which we all can run anything within reason on our own property.. even in neighborhoods, abiding by sound restrictions, there's really no reason why someone can't run an engine. I run 200cc gas engines, motorcyles, play rock-n-roll music, etc.. and if I wanted to run a turbine engine, there's no reason I couldn't if I'm within reason, so the above comment is very strange.

I really need to get out and hear some of the turbines to get a realistic idea of the db level. If it's reasonable, then yes, I could simply run it at home but I have this idea that it's fairly loud I emailed a few clubs regarding joining plus joining AMA (which I have done already). The Castiac club replied with "Sorry, absolutely no turbines allowed at our field". Not heard from the rest. I think it's like others have said, I need to get out and do this in-person.

Agreed!

Flying is another story, and any club worth their salt will have people in place that make very sure that only qualified/certified pilots fly turbine powered models... and anyone operating a turbine should have proper/sufficient liability insurance as well. If one can afford a turbine engine, one can afford insurance.

I'll check in with my insurance agent. I have personal liability insurance and will see if that would cover static operation.

If you want to run a turbine engine though, you don't need a club... and there are no rules. The only rules apply is when you come onto someone else's property or into a private club, then you should abide by their rules. Whatever happens after that is up to you.

I'll say as well, if a person can afford a turbine engine(especially larger turbine).. that same person can and should be able to afford a place to run it, or membership(s) to a club(s) to run it. Just food for thought. I hope you find your jet gigs. :)

Well, I don't want to go out and buy a 10 acre parcel to run a turbine...LOL I'm in early days of my quest and am in no rush. I have time to do what I need to do to feel comfortable

I'm lengthening my message by at least 2 characters so I can post it.

BVH* 03-14-2021 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CRX Turbines (Post 12668655)
I did work with Jet Beetle for a period of time. They are in the range of 150 and 250 pound turbines. And yes the mean time between maintenance periods is at least 100 hours. These are far above what would be used in RC applications so this is probably why you have not heard of them.

The website is here:

BVH we are still able to get these engines. The cost on these is quite high in relation to what you and I discussed.

Andy, are you a service center for the Jetbeetle engine? The concern I have as a newby is Jetbeetles presence in Cyberspace. Other than their webpage, which isn't exactly up to date, there is very, very little out there about them. It could simply be what I said earlier, they cater to the commercial and/or military UAV market and as such, need no Cyberspace presence.

Are these engines legal to import from Taiwan?

CRX Turbines 03-14-2021 09:39 PM

Not a problem to import but there are limits on what can be exported. As for the motors, I would not sell these to anyone without some bonafide evidence of a project to support it. Whether it be experimental aircraft, research and development, etc. And unless we are selling to a governmental entity, we would not sell these engines without a signed legal waiver from the purchasing party.

We do not currently service them but we have a relationship with the owner and can sell them.

Andy

Originally Posted by BVH* (Post 12668658)
Andy, are you a service center for the Jetbeetle engine? The concern I have as a newby is Jetbeetles presence in Cyberspace. Other than their webpage, which isn't exactly up to date, there is very, very little out there about them. It could simply be what I said earlier, they cater to the commercial and/or military UAV market and as such, need no Cyberspace presence.

Are these engines legal to import from Taiwan?

DGrant 03-14-2021 11:42 PM

BVH, you're certainly welcome to come out and see what it's all about. The link to the club and information is at ClovisRC.club .. You should be able to look at the calendar and get event info. It might be worth a drive over to the valley for you. It's really turned out the be one of the bigger events in central California, and definitely the biggest in the valley. You won't find anything like it around your area. The San Joaquin Valley is the closest from your location in SLO area that you'll get this kind of jet action. That I do know for a fact. You can talk to the jet pilots first hand, and that's exactly where you'll get the real deal info. There are a few other areas that come to mind as well, Buttonwillow is one, Lodi is another one, and they're flyin it up with jets up in Sacramento too, and no doubt down in SoCal areas/Riverside/etc.

As I mentioned, I'm an IMAC flyer, so I don't have first hand knowledge of jet protocol per say, but I have long time club mates that fly all the time. There were 4 jets present today at the field, most times theres quite a few more. Jets at our field are a very common occurance. It's legal to run and fly turbines in our club, with the proper credentials in place of course, and it's less then a 4hr drive from your area... so make it out there and you'll get the answers you seek.

Good luck with your adventure.

Steve Collins 03-15-2021 06:44 AM

BVH,

I'm curious. Why would you invest thousands of dollars on a turbine engine just to run on the ground? Especially a huge one?

Seems to me that would become boring in pretty short order.

patf 03-15-2021 07:35 AM

I'd be eyeing an older Jetcat 80 or 120, a lot easier on the wallet and you could easily run in your back yard. there may even be some jetjoe's still out there..

Any leafblower would drown the noise of a model sized turbine out..

BVH* 03-15-2021 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Collins (Post 12668718)
BVH,

I'm curious. Why would you invest thousands of dollars on a turbine engine just to run on the ground? Especially a huge one?

Seems to me that would become boring in pretty short order.

I simply love the sound of a running turbine and especially when it's spooling up. I get goosebumps every time. Sounds crazy, yes I agree. My wife and I (68 years old) are at a point in our lives where we can afford to spend some of the fruits of our 34-year careers. "We can't take it with us" and we have no kids to leave it too.

I do get bored with all my hobbies. Main hobby is acquiring aviation and military Short Arc searchlights. These are lights that project a 1-degree, laser-like beam for miles. They were on Viet Nam era tanks, they're on Police helicopters now, later used on Israel tanks. I have to use these lights out in the boonies as they draw people like flies to cottage cheese. I've got a ton of posts over on Candlepowerforums. All this just to illustrate that I seem to gravitate to unusual hobbies with unusual equipment. I started collecting lights in 2004 and have not sold any of them. I use them very rarely but I love knowing I have them. Yes, that's a little crazy, too. Undoubtedly, the same thing will happen with the turbine but I'll enjoy having it and occasionally running it as I do my lights if I buy one. Size does matter. I love the look and mass of the larger turbines, 6.5" or larger in diameter.

DGrant, thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it. I am going to plan on the drive up there as it stands now for the show.

ron_van_sommeren 05-26-2021 06:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by patf (Post 12668728)
... Any leafblower would drown the noise of a model sized turbine out..

Don't forget the inaudible frequencies coming from a turbine.

Originally Posted by Steve Collins (Post 12668718)
... Especially a huge one? ...

www.lambert-modellturbinen.de/microturbinen.html :D

Vriendelijke groeten ;) en wees voorzichtig, Ron
• Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
E-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC

Attachment 2270406

DGrant 05-27-2021 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BVH* (Post 12668765)
I simply love the sound of a running turbine and especially when it's spooling up. I get goosebumps every time. Sounds crazy, yes I agree. My wife and I (68 years old) are at a point in our lives where we can afford to spend some of the fruits of our 34-year careers. "We can't take it with us" and we have no kids to leave it too.

I do get bored with all my hobbies. Main hobby is acquiring aviation and military Short Arc searchlights. These are lights that project a 1-degree, laser-like beam for miles. They were on Viet Nam era tanks, they're on Police helicopters now, later used on Israel tanks. I have to use these lights out in the boonies as they draw people like flies to cottage cheese. I've got a ton of posts over on Candlepowerforums. All this just to illustrate that I seem to gravitate to unusual hobbies with unusual equipment. I started collecting lights in 2004 and have not sold any of them. I use them very rarely but I love knowing I have them. Yes, that's a little crazy, too. Undoubtedly, the same thing will happen with the turbine but I'll enjoy having it and occasionally running it as I do my lights if I buy one. Size does matter. I love the look and mass of the larger turbines, 6.5" or larger in diameter.

DGrant, thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it. I am going to plan on the drive up there as it stands now for the show.

Wondering if you made it to the show? It was one of the best so far. I think there were around 35 registered pilots, and no doubt over 50 jets... flyin it up all day every day.

BVH* 06-15-2021 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by DGrant (Post 12679516)
Wondering if you made it to the show? It was one of the best so far. I think there were around 35 registered pilots, and no doubt over 50 jets... flyin it up all day every day.

No, I got info and research overload and just stopped doing anything, cold turkey. Also got a couple of medical procedures taken care of. I'm getting the bug again though.

DGrant 06-23-2021 09:46 AM

There will be another Jet Rally for sure. I think in October. I know we have an IMAC contest late September if you're interested in giant scale competition. I've had some physical challenges myself, but should be at the IMAC event.

Just keep an eye on the club site for the events. They will be posted well in advance. Hope you make it to one of them.

scoeroo 06-23-2021 10:55 AM

My KOLIBRI micro T25 turns up 243,000 rpm - a real ear piercer
Music to the ears