RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tomahawk Futura 2.5m VS Havoc SS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11689296-tomahawk-futura-2-5m-vs-havoc-ss.html)

mikes68charger 04-10-2021 12:40 PM

Tomahawk Futura 2.5m VS Havoc SS

So the used jet market has been bad lately and shipping on a new jet really gotten crazy also. Ran across an amazing deal on a Tomahawk Future 2.5 RTF with K210.

I know this jet has been around a long time, but not many threads on it.

Any issues or concerns?

Saw a comment about not flying WOT with a K210 the whole flight? Dose it not have a good or like top speed?

How does it compare to Havoc SS with k210?

Thanks

DUCMOZ 04-11-2021 12:09 PM

Hi, I have a future 2.5 which built from the kit (not Arf). All I can say is that if you want it for aerobatics, buy it without hesitation. It flies well and handles well and it is an awesome all around plane. Mine has a JC 180 RX in it - 37.5lb. If you are looking for a speed plane, it would not be your thing. I have not flown Havoc SS but have seen it fly and seen it handle. I would go for Futura.

Behzad

mikes68charger 04-11-2021 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=DUCMOZ;12672699]Hi, I have a future 2.5 which built from the kit (not Arf). All I can say is that if you want it for aerobatics, buy it without hesitation. It flies well and handles well and it is an awesome all around plane. Mine has a JC 180 RX in it - 37.5lb. If you are looking for a speed plane, it would not be your thing. I have not flown Havoc SS but have seen it fly and seen it handle. I would go for Futura.

Behzad[/QUOTE

Thanks. I think I'll get the Futura and sell the Havoc SS for something fast.

I have been to a few jets shows and never seen a Futura. Any bad habits?

DUCMOZ 04-11-2021 12:51 PM

Honestly, nothing bad. The slow speed characteristic is amazing and does everything well. I have even had bad position flame out with it and granted runway was large, but no issues.

Ruizmilton 04-12-2021 06:31 PM

I have not tried a Havoc SS and I’m interested into buying one, yet, a friend has one he says does not like it’s handling, not sure why. I have nearly 50-60 flights, maybe more on my Futura 2.5, I’m still amazed at the way it handles, specially the knife edges, with almost no coupling, also the slow rolling into position both for KE and inverted, the fuse seems to have so much surface area it just does not fall while rolling into position, so I do it very slowly, I love that!

Zeeb 04-12-2021 07:24 PM

Haven't actually flown my SS but the Futura 2.5 known quantity to me. It just does not have enough down elevator to make inverted flight "comfortable" if you will? The other thing is that the main landing gear mountings leave a LOT to be desired. It takes virtually no excessive force like a bit of a rough landing, to loosen everything up if not tear the mains out completely. My friend initially tried to keep the strut doors but finally gave up.

He sold that model to another guy who lost it in a takeoff incident where the radio equipment was suspect.

My friend then bought the Havoc, the original big one. He flew that for awhile until the KingTech 310 did a self destruct at Red Flag. It had gear mounting issues, the factory setup just isn't very beefy. He sold that to another local guy who really wanted a bigger model but wasn't very flush. So he made him a deal and the new owner of the Havoc is really excited except for the gear issues.

My friend who originally owned the Futura and then the Havoc, replaced them with a Mephisto.

FWIW.......