RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Enclosed Toy Hauler RV Trailers pro's and cons? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11690350-enclosed-toy-hauler-rv-trailers-pros-cons.html)

mikes68charger 05-17-2021 03:01 AM

Enclosed Toy Hauler RV Trailers pro's and cons?

So I have been going to RC War Bird, Fun flys, and RC Jet shows for 3 or so years now. I see a lot more Toy Hauler RV trailers at the jet shows than the others. I will get back from my deployment later this year and got the wife convinced that a Toy hauler 5th wheel to go with my 2018 GMC 2500 Denali will be worth while, As she will no longer camp in a tent with me, and hates staying in other peoples trailers.

So what I do know:
1. a 11ft garage is do able but small when trying to put golf cart in and longer planes in rear.
2. a want the on board fuel station to carry diesel for jets and onboard gen.
3. would like to have 3 ac units so there is AC in the garage area for people actually sleeping in back.

So what I'm looking for is, what is important to you?
Is there any brands to stay away from?
Any options that your trailer dose not have that you wish it did?
What is a deal breaker?
Which is better, 2 or 3 rear axles?

Do you feel like getting your trailer was a wast of $$

I'll be honest, Im hoping to spend around 50-55k so I know I will have to get used at this price point for a nice 40+ ft trailer. I was going to try to buy my buddies who is selling his this week, but he told me that the 11ft garage, 2 axles, and that his is very heavy around 18,000 pounds is not a great trailer and that there are better deals out there. Im looking for some more knowledge to help me make the right chose.

Thanks Mike

Len Todd 05-17-2021 04:39 AM

I just switched from a 27' RV to a 38' TH. Now I can't get into most fuel stations. Forced to stick with truck stops, which make the fuel much more expensive. When you get a TH, some of them incorporate part of the ramp into the garage floor. A table will not sit level if you have one set of legs in that ramp. Still not sure if the side patio with the outdoor TV is worth it. Many lots are to narrow to set it up. My 12.5 foot garage has plenty of space for my 6 jet rack. But all the other stuff sits on the floor. Once I get there to use the garage for living area, all that stuff has to go out, including the rack and jets. Then it is not secure. I put all the loose items in tubs. The cupboards in my TH are all mounted high for head room. That is good in the garage. But in the living area too? Also, look at where you would store the dishes and pots and pans. I have enough space but its not right close to where I would like them to be stored. For a 38' TH it is just not as nice to live in as my old 27' RV.. But, I can now haul the jet fleet vs. having to pick two. You give up a bit of living space for the TH. A TH may not fit your wife's ideas.

sysiek 05-17-2021 06:15 AM

Truth my experience with rv trailers and motor homes and regular enclosed trailer converted to toy hauler and spending money on them, I chose to have a big van for toys and sleep in a hotel room,for the money that you will spend on decent toy hauler and use it for no more than 10 times a year you will sleep in a nice 5star hotel room until forever, the fuel bill to drive with will be more than hotel, just buy a nice big convertible van maybe conversion van maybe with regular enclosed no more than 14-16’ long aluminum trailer and use a hotel , that’s my opinion from experience with toy haulers and motorhome that I used before with other hobby and traveling with my family even before I started do rc jets and jet meetings.

ravill 05-17-2021 07:00 AM

I've been using TH's for 20+ years. And for more than hauling jets.

I have a Heartland FUEL 305 which is the camping world brand. I paid $34k out the door for it about 3 years ago. That was a price that I couldn't refuse.

It is 30 ft long, bumper pull, on board fuel and genny, all season rated, 100 gallon fresh water and has a kingbed in the upfront room.

I would suggest a bumper pull TH because, as a general rule, they have a bigger garage AND (and this is the keeper) you get to keep the bed of your truck to haul MORE stuff if you need.

The onboard Generator runs off of the onboard fuel so you may have to alter how the generator gets gasoline if you use the on board fuel tanks for kero/diesel.

I went with 16" wheel dual axles and the rig weighs right around 8k#'s empty.

Even for events when you aren't bringing "toys", having a large door in the back to load/unload stuff at the camping site is tremendously helpful. You aren't trying to bring all the junk, food, campfire, etc.... through a small door on the side of a Non-TH.

TH for the win.

Zeeb 05-17-2021 09:48 AM

Don't think any of the generators I know of use Diesel as they are fed off the onboard ATV fuel system which is gas.

Number of AC units will depend on the size of the trailer as will the size of the generator.

There are some reasonably priced new trailers out there in your price range if you'll take something a bit smaller. I think you will also find that the max combined weight of your truck and a bigger trailer will easily exceed the recommended max weight. This has to do with the axles, tires and brakes on the pickup I think you'll find that for your truck, it's going to be about 16,000 lbs. One of the other things is the overall size of the trailer including width and height. A lot of the newer trailers are 8 1/2' wide and on the order of 13' tall and will push that 18,000 lb, loaded weight you mention. You make it 40' long and it'll be a real pain to get around especially in town. Those size trailers will need three axles.

In my experience, weight is the real killer. Worse mileage, every hill is a "mountain" and they are hard as hell on tires as those get the tread scrubbed off every time you make a turn.

In view of the fact that I originally anticipated taking mine off road, size and weight were very important considerations. Height? didn't want it getting all scraped up by trees along dirt roads. So 13' was out of the question. The trailer I got is 11' tall and pretty easy to get under all the tree limbs. Width? same issue, I didn't want anything wider than 8'. It's 34' long and I originally figured on hauling ATV's. Now it hauls model airplanes so I do not know how big the garage is and it is separated from the living quarters by a wall which I had them put in a sliding glass door rather than the standard type wood doors. Also makes it easier to store things as you do not need to keep space clear for the regular type door to open.

I think that a divider is really important because things are going to get spilled in the "garage" and the living area doesn't need to be stunk up by the spills. My "garage" floor is aluminum diamond plate. Easy to clean and good traction for ATV's as well as people with wet or muddy feet. If I have a complaint or something I'd like to change, it'd have bigger water tanks on it but there's only so much room and the 25 gal. ATV/Generator fuel tank takes up some of that area. The generator on mine is a 4000 W Onan and it feeds the singe AC unit, TV, Satellite antenna and such. As I mentioned, I'd have liked two AC units and a bigger generator but nothing larger was available for that size trailer. It has one slide out for the kitchen/dining area.

Now here's possibly the best part; it only weighs 11,000 lbs. fully loaded and my 1 Ton Diesel Dually handles it with ease. It's made by KZ and the model is called a Sportster.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...bb707d51e6.jpg

mikes68charger 05-17-2021 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12678192)
Don't think any of the generators I know of use Diesel as they are fed off the onboard ATV fuel system which is gas.

Number of AC units will depend on the size of the trailer as will the size of the generator.

There are some reasonably priced new trailers out there in your price range if you'll take something a bit smaller. I think you will also find that the max combined weight of your truck and a bigger trailer will easily exceed the recommended max weight. This has to do with the axles, tires and brakes on the pickup I think you'll find that for your truck, it's going to be about 16,000 lbs. One of the other things is the overall size of the trailer including width and height. A lot of the newer trailers are 8 1/2' wide and on the order of 13' tall and will push that 18,000 lb, loaded weight you mention. You make it 40' long and it'll be a real pain to get around especially in town. Those size trailers will need three axles.

In my experience, weight is the real killer. Worse mileage, every hill is a "mountain" and they are hard as hell on tires as those get the tread scrubbed off every time you make a turn.

In view of the fact that I originally anticipated taking mine off road, size and weight were very important considerations. Height? didn't want it getting all scraped up by trees along dirt roads. So 13' was out of the question. The trailer I got is 11' tall and pretty easy to get under all the tree limbs. Width? same issue, I didn't want anything wider than 8'. It's 34' long and I originally figured on hauling ATV's. Now it hauls model airplanes so I do not know how big the garage is and it is separated from the living quarters by a wall which I had them put in a sliding glass door rather than the standard type wood doors. Also makes it easier to store things as you do not need to keep space clear for the regular type door to open.

I think that a divider is really important because things are going to get spilled in the "garage" and the living area doesn't need to be stunk up by the spills. My "garage" floor is aluminum diamond plate. Easy to clean and good traction for ATV's as well as people with wet or muddy feet. If I have a complaint or something I'd like to change, it'd have bigger water tanks on it but there's only so much room and the 25 gal. ATV/Generator fuel tank takes up some of that area. The generator on mine is a 4000 W Onan and it feeds the singe AC unit, TV, Satellite antenna and such. As I mentioned, I'd have liked two AC units and a bigger generator but nothing larger was available for that size trailer. It has one slide out for the kitchen/dining area.

Now here's possibly the best part; it only weighs 11,000 lbs. fully loaded and my 1 Ton Diesel Dually handles it with ease. It's made by KZ and the model is called a Sportster.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...bb707d51e6.jpg

Thanks. My towing is 16,500 as 4x4 but list same truck at 18,000 2x2. Humm. I was expecting to put some air assist bags in the rear.

I agree that my buddys Raptor is just to heavy especially since i want to put a golf cart in the rear.

Its hard as if it was just for me I would get a 2010 with large rear storage and 3 axles for around 20k I see on Facebook market. But the wife likes fancy.

smiller 05-17-2021 04:38 PM

It depends on how much living space you need. My previous pull behind camper was 28 ft, the wife was happy with that space. So when i wanted a toy hauler for my planes so I could secure them assembled at night. I got a 41 ft Jayco fith wheel toy hauler with a 12.5 ft garage, onboard generator, 2 fuel tanks { one dedicated to the Generator and the other for toys with a nozzel} The living space is equal to our old camper. It has the wall with a door to garage which I would not do without { to separate fuel smells in garage}. It is a duel axle with large wheels, I did not want a triple axle. Yes they are large and heavy { 15,500 empty, 18,000 gross |. I have a Ram dually with 6.7 diesel which tows it with authority. I do not carry a golf cart, it would take up more space than you think. Hotels are nice but you have to fight to get rooms within a reasonable distance at big meets. I like being on sight , I don:t have to wake up too early to get to the field ! It comes down to what works best for you, There are many choices out there.

Scott

ravill 05-17-2021 05:15 PM

F450, so I never have to worry about what I’m pulling.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...168132e32.jpeg

Viper1GJ 05-17-2021 05:20 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...114f666699.jpg
I've been using 5th wheel toy haulers since 2004 for jet meets. This is one is a 2014 Voltage 3895. It has all you mentioned. 5.5kv generator, 3 AC, 2 x 30 gal gas tanks, 160 gal fresh water. I can haul 2-3 jets with equipment and golf cart. Usually a buddy stays in the rear garage bunk when on site. The primary mission for this one was campgrounds with grandkids with jet meets were secondary. Now that the family and grandkid mission has been transferred to a beach house this one is for sale.

There are pros and cons to everything. Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share my 2 cents worth about my toy haulers experience at jet meets. Good luck on your search.
Gary

Propworn 05-17-2021 06:08 PM

Years and years ago when the two boys were young I bought a truck camper but it had no shower, no ac, no shower just a porta potty. It was warm and dry with room to stay out of the weather and at the time was the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the years since we tried motor home, fifth wheel and standard trailer and we always found the larger combo lacking. Sort of stuck to campgrounds (we really liked boondocking with the truck camper). Close to retirement I purchased a used Arctic Fox 811 truck camper. It has everything and fits in a Ford short box pickup.

B4Its more convenient towing my toys behind. Trailer for planes, bike and canoe and motor etc. Boat for those fishing trips etc. Boondocking is a snap and the price is great FREE!!!!!

fmrsdtr 05-18-2021 07:05 AM

Mike,

Greg and I still have the fifth wheel, but unfortunately, none of his jets fit in it (we had a toy hauler but got rid of it when he was still only flying helicopters and IMAC/3D airplanes). We found the truck camper, renovated it, and haul the trailer behind. It's a perfect setup and works out well for us and the dog. We aren't in it at flying events other than to sleep, eat, or if it's raining, so we don't need a whole lot of space. This one doesn't have slides, but does have a wet bath and bathroom; if we decide to ever upgrade, we'll look for one with slides and a full bath with shower.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...4b2828782.jpeg

ravill 05-18-2021 05:50 PM

I love the red truck!! I would’ve got a red one if I had known I was moving to my current house where my truck can live in a garage.

Thats a great jet set up!

fmrsdtr 05-18-2021 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ravill (Post 12678427)
I love the red truck!! I would’ve got a red one if I had known I was moving to my current house where my truck can live in a garage.

Thats a great jet set up!

Thanks! We went from a 2008 F450 to the 2017 F350. Had no desire at first to get a red truck, but this one had all of the options that we wanted…it grew on us! Upgraded to the longer trailer to match it. 😉 Before the truck camper, we spent a couple of event seasons just sleeping in it with a portable shower setup (shower tent/marine toilet/portable shower with hot water heater).

camss69 05-18-2021 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ravill (Post 12678275)
F450, so I never have to worry about what I’m pulling.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...168132e32.jpeg

That thing is a BEAST!

Desertlakesflying 05-18-2021 06:37 PM

A 2500 is going to limit your RV by a lot

raron455 05-18-2021 07:24 PM

I just recently traded in my 30ft camper and upgraded to a 39ft fifth wheel toy hauler, I have a heavy Duty dodge ram with a 5.9 cummins and it snatches this toy hauler around easily and just as important can put the whoa on pretty quick, so I already had the vehicle for the job, If you dont, then you are looking at spending some serious money between a capable truck and toy hauler combo. I have played the trailer game, hauling planes and sleeping in a trailer, then added an ac, etc. I have also played the stay at motels route,, and then bought a camper to haul my planes it, but damaged one a couple weeks ago and decided to just get a toy hauler. TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST,, I should have went this route years ago,,
I believe what is most important is for you to look at what you really want,, and when you decide buy the best you can afford, if you buy a cheap camper, that's exactly what you will get, and all the problems that come with them. My wife and I enjoy camping with our friends, and getting away from home, and we did use our camper for more than just fly ins, so a camper is more than justifiable in my scenario. With the toy hauler I will list what you are asking for, in my opionion pros and cons here's my list

PROS:
-can easily store and transport multiple larges planes securely for long distances and lock them up
-I have room to put my planes up at night in my toy hauler (even with wings on if planned smartly)
-The toys are in a separated toy box, not in the living area, this is very important, planes in the living room, beds of your camper suck
-When I am not hauling toys, I have a climate controlled separate room with 2 couches a bed its own bathroom and TV, perfect for guest
grandkids, or just me and my wife relaxing
-it is a very comfortable living area depending on your route, allowing you to be at home away from home at events and relax and watch your stuff
-You can lock it up, disconnect the truck and go wherever you want, dinner, store, ETC
-You can always hook up to it and go out, don't need to be a fly event, can easily double as family gathering
-I have a generator, and on board 32gall fuel cell, so I can go anywhere, even without power I'm still at home

CONS:
-Toy hauler is not cheap, purchase and insurance
-Its big, challenging to maneuver around on and off the road, You have to pay close attention at all times
- the size will dictate your pulling vehicle, you need a stout truck
-cant pull in to just any fuel station
-You need a place to store it when not in use, luckily I have a long driveway all the way to the back of my house I know people that pay over 100$ a month just to store their RV
-To keep it in its best shape, you will need to protect and cover it when not in use I have metal canopy

this is my perspective of the matter, I still have my cargo trailer to haul on local or 1 day events, or my normal trips to the field, but when going to an event for some time,, Its hard to beat this, and the wife is very happy and comfortable and that is very important as well,,
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...12df4ad6cd.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...c02821f992.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...8a2fc628ce.jpg

Viper1GJ 05-19-2021 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by raron455 (Post 12678444)
...Its hard to beat this, and the wife is very happy and comfortable and that is very important as well,,

Ditto to what he said!
Gary