RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Multi Function controller failure (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11691134-multi-function-controller-failure.html)

HSD L39 06-15-2021 01:51 PM

Multi Function controller failure

I have a HSD L39 PNP version which I think has a problem with the multi function controller 2085 which causes intermittent total control failure,
This is the 3 rd time controls have failed and since the 2 nd failure I removed the Spektrum receiver /transmitter and replaced it with a new Jeti DS12 / REX10 thinking that it was the Spektrum causing the problem.
I have battery voltage displayed on the screen from both the batteries but only one of the two orange battery indicator light comes on, normally both are on and blinking and when batteries fully charged both are green, Note the batteries are 2S lipo which had just come off storage charge so hence the orange lights.
The throttle control goes direct from the receiver to the turbine ECU and that was still working ok but all flight controls going through the MF controller stopped moving.
Next problem was I could not turn it off by pushing the off buttons and could not toggle through the setup menu, I had to disconnect the battery plugs to shut it down, connected it back up and all worked perfect again.
This is the third time this has happened and not flying till problem solved.
Has anyone had problems with the HSD MFC 2085 ?
My question is what is causing this problem ?
Is it the Controller that is faulty ?
being indicated by only one orange light but both batteries showing voltage and the buttons failing to do anything when pressed,
or something else connected to the controller causing the controller to fail ? like a possible intermittent faulty servo.
I’ve ruled out faulty transmitter/receiver problems by replacing the previous Spektrum gear with now Jeti.

What is our next step to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

powerjets 06-15-2021 02:56 PM

Charge the batteries and see what happens on green indicators

HSD L39 06-15-2021 07:23 PM

Hi powerjets,
thanks for the suggestion, this is a very intermittent fault and I have bench run this setup for probably 7-9 hours problem free and I have run the batteries down to a lower voltage problem free.
The first 2 failures happened with fully charged batteries and the multi function controller indicated full charged batteries but the difference with this third failure was that I could not turn it off by pushing the off button and the menu toggle froze.

Wclays 06-18-2021 12:47 PM

Your best bet is to contact a HSD Rep. They would be better at answering your question.

Good luck.

If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

HSD L39 06-18-2021 02:29 PM

I tried the local HSD rep and he seemed to think it was an installation problem of some sort,
HSD USA customer service aren't answering any emails

ira d 06-18-2021 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by HSD L39 (Post 12682716)
I tried the local HSD rep and he seemed to think it was an installation problem of some sort,

You are the first report of a failure that I have heard with the multi function panel and of course anything can have an occasional failure. Might be a good idea to send the unit to HSD and let them check it out.

wfield0455 06-19-2021 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by HSD L39 (Post 12682716)

How did you connect it, SBUS or multiple servo channels ?

HSD L39 06-21-2021 12:48 PM

Hi Wayne, I connected it by using multiple servo channels

Swissy 11-11-2021 12:42 AM

Hi
@ HSD L39:
Did you find out about the fault in your HSD-controller?

Mine is working fine but when pushing the 'off'-buttons of the controller, the receiver still stays on green.
What could be the problem? (Connection receiver/ box is on S-Bus)

HSD L39 11-11-2021 09:54 PM

Hi Swissy, I eventually got a free replacement MFC 2085 and everything is now going great, it was definitely the controller that was at fault.
I have eliminated the rudder, ailerons, elevator and turbine running through the MFC and have them running straight off the receiver so if it fails again I can still fly back and land. After a few modifications with control throws, the L39 is now going great, docile and reasonable easy to land.
Sounds like your MFC is having a few problems if the receiver is staying on after switching off, it shouldn’t do that, you could try doing a reset to fix the problem but before you do that go through every setting and write it down, do the reset and go back through the settings and confirm that setting haven’t changed, a good chance some will be different but easy to change when you are in the set up menu. Good luck Martin.

Swissy 11-12-2021 12:36 AM

Hello Martin
Thank you for your quickresponse, your help is much appreciated!
As I said the controller works fine beside this 'RX non switch off fault'. But as this occured just lately and not from the beginning I am a bit worried about.
I now wrote an E-Mail to my dealer and we will see what he says/ thinks.
You write you run the main functions straight off the receiver. This is what I will probably do as well. But then I will need to have a new receiver as we need -if I counted right-
9 RX-ports. Is rudder and nose gear on one port or separated?
Thanks again and best regards from Switzerland,
Daniel

HSD L39 11-12-2021 02:44 AM

Gidday Daniel, It took me along time trying to get any sense or parts out of my dealer, finally after I sent them videos showing the problem it was agreed to send the MFC back to China to get checked out and it got caught up in China customs where duty had to be paid so it was agreed to send me a new one.
I’m using a Jeti REX 10 receiver, multiple ports and from memory for the rudder system I have a Y lead, one lead for the rudder servo and the other goes to the MFC for the nose gear servo.
You may want to look at the aileron and elevator horns, I doubled the length and reduced the throws back to about 14-15 mm instead of the recommended 25 mm. At high speed with the original short horns I noticed the roll rate was slower than at slow speed and I think the servos didn’t have enough strength at the high speeds and by doubling the servos mechanical advantage by lengthen the horns made a huge difference to both roll speed and general handling.
Cheers Martin.

BarracudaHockey 11-12-2021 04:22 AM

Cleaned up reported posts, move along boys and don't make me take further action.
Thanks

Swissy 11-17-2021 07:40 AM

Hello Martin
Sorry for the late answering - was off for some days, saw your response but could not get logged in RCU...
In the meantime I got in contact with one of the European (German) dealers and was told that apparently they never had such a problem. Have to say that I caused a short cut due to a wrong plugging to the receiver. Two needles on the MFC connector strip were de-soldered just before I could stop the current.
As the circuit board (?) of the MFC showed no visible damage I replaced/ resoldered the pins and everything is working fine - exept to what I already mentioned: when shutting down the MFC the receiver is still under power.
Seems the HSD company has no general importer/ service in Europe like 'HSDJetsUSA' e.g. and so things get a bit annoying.
Imho not worth taking the pain to send the controller back to China as you told us the way this can end...
So we will see what happens after some further tests.
Thank you for your help, also for notes concerning the aileron and elevator horns!
Regards from Switzerland, Daniel

HSD L39 11-17-2021 12:15 PM

Hi Daniel, I was going to get rid of the MFC due to the problems that I was having and also I don’t trust Chinese electronics but I could not find a compatible controller that would operate the undercarriage retract system and brakes. The retracts work by the MFC sensing a high electrical load when the retract reach’s the end of its travel then shuts off the power, otherwise I would have used a Powerbox or Jeti power distribution system. Cheers Martin.

Bob_B 11-17-2021 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by HSD L39 (Post 12703070)
Hi Daniel, I was going to get rid of the MFC due to the problems that I was having and also I don’t trust Chinese electronics but I could not find a compatible controller that would operate the undercarriage retract system and brakes. The retracts work by the MFC sensing a high electrical load when the retract reach’s the end of its travel then shuts off the power, otherwise I would have used a Powerbox or Jeti power distribution system. Cheers Martin.

Have a look at the Assan AG68 for your retracts brakes and steering

1080tommy 07-21-2022 06:04 AM

Mfc 2085 and Jeti assist teceibers

Hi, I think I know the answer to this question but was wondering if anyone knows of a Jeti assist receiver will work when linked to the mfc via sbus. I setup my gyro and it does not work when connected to the airplane. All surfaces work as indicated in the manual but no assist. The customer service rep advised me that it shouldn’t matter but I put the receiver on a plane without the mfc and it worked. Sorry if this is redundant. Just trying to figure this thing out. Thanks!

BarracudaHockey 07-21-2022 08:36 AM

I doubt it, i had sbus into the MFC and the only way i could get a gyro to work was to put it between the MFC and the servos.

Bob_B 07-21-2022 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1080tommy (Post 12736314)
Hi, I think I know the answer to this question but was wondering if anyone knows of a Jeti assist receiver will work when linked to the mfc via sbus. I setup my gyro and it does not work when connected to the airplane. All surfaces work as indicated in the manual but no assist. The customer service rep advised me that it shouldn’t matter but I put the receiver on a plane without the mfc and it worked. Sorry if this is redundant. Just trying to figure this thing out. Thanks!

Ajeti assist will work but stabilization does not pass through

1080tommy 07-21-2022 12:45 PM

Thanks so much. That’s what I figured. Customer support is not that great either and I really love this jet. It just seems like this should be on the website to let people know there will be an issue if you want a gyro. I have everything ready to fly but I may get rid of it and get something without that mfc. I fly plenty with and without gyros but why would you manufacture a system that makes it so difficult when all these receivers have such nice built in gyro capabilities. Maybe I’m missing something but thanks again for all the help! I appreciate it.

wfield0455 07-21-2022 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1080tommy (Post 12736377)
Thanks so much. That’s what I figured. Customer support is not that great either and I really love this jet. It just seems like this should be on the website to let people know there will be an issue if you want a gyro. I have everything ready to fly but I may get rid of it and get something without that mfc. I fly plenty with and without gyros but why would you manufacture a system that makes it so difficult when all these receivers have such nice built in gyro capabilities. Maybe I’m missing something but thanks again for all the help! I appreciate it.

What do you mean there's an issue if you want a gyro ? I have the HSD T33 and have a gyro in it and it works fine.. The Jeti Assist won't output stabilized SBUS but it will output stabilized Ex Bus and you can use a EX Bus to SBUS converter to make it work if you want.

There is really noting wrong with the MFC and it makes it possible to control a model with Ailerons, Elevators, Flaps Brakes and gear with a simple 6 or 8 channel transmitter.

The problem isn't in the MFC and it's completely unreasonable to expect it to support every protocol that every manufacture can come up with. The problem is that Jeti decided not to or can't have the Assist output stabilized SBUS, SUBS is a WAY more common protocol for RC use so that ie what HSD decided to support.
As I recall Geoff Sokol used to make an Ex Bus to SBUS converter called the SlinkE. I have no idea is they are available for sale anymore or not but I still have a couple of them that I've used to get stabilized SBUS out of the Jeti Assist.

CNeuhausel 06-13-2023 09:40 AM

HSD Controller MFC-2085

Please help.
I have the HSD controller in a HSD Viper. Here's what's going on:
* When I turn on (fresh fully charged batteries), the electric indicator is on - one light is blinking green and the other is solid green. Ideas or suggestions?
* OLED display - almost impossible to see, even with a magnifying glass. Ideas or suggestions?
* Brakes - either on or off, slider switch. I believe there's a setting in the menu for adjustment, can't see due to the OLED display being so dim. Ideas or suggestions?
I've run all the controller surfaces through the RX with only the landing gear, lights & brakes through the controller. All else working fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Craig

HSD L39 06-13-2023 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by CNeuhausel (Post 12775335)
Please help.
I have the HSD controller in a HSD Viper. Here's what's going on:
* When I turn on (fresh fully charged batteries), the electric indicator is on - one light is blinking green and the other is solid green. Ideas or suggestions?
* OLED display - almost impossible to see, even with a magnifying glass. Ideas or suggestions?
* Brakes - either on or off, slider switch. I believe there's a setting in the menu for adjustment, can't see due to the OLED display being so dim. Ideas or suggestions?
I've run all the controller surfaces through the RX with only the landing gear, lights & brakes through the controller. All else working fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Craig

Hi Craig,
I have a HSD L39 and had problems with the MFC, see my previous writing.
The blinking and solid light is normal, it is indicating which battery is in use, I believe it only uses one battery at a time then switches over to the other one.
The display should be bright enough to see in normal light and normal eyes without magnification, sounds like you have a problem there.
From memory the MFC brake controller is adjustable but it’s either on or off, I don’t think it will work on a slider as a variable braking system.
Like you, I run all the primary flight controls straight from the receiver to the servos, bypassed the MFC, I simply don’t trust it, everything else like brakes, U/C, lights run through the controller.
I had problems with a jittery elevator servo and I had to reroute the servo lead away from the MFC, I suspect it radiates a lot of electrical fuzz, other wise everything works great.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Martin.