RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Spektrum Powersafe receiver / AS3x module on large jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11700770-spektrum-powersafe-receiver-as3x-module-large-jets.html)

wojtek 07-20-2022 06:47 AM

Spektrum Powersafe receiver / AS3x module on large jets

Having been on Futaba for as long as I can remember, I have just recently decided to add a Spektrum IX20se to the fleet, and am going to be using an AR20400T- 20 to drive a CARF 1:3.75 hawk with P220 for power.

Does anyone have any experience ( or opinion, recommendation, or anything else otherwise for conversation ) using the AS3000 AS3x gyro module on larger jets like this ? The other option is a Bavarian Demon, however I am trying to avoid cabling out from the RX between multiple devices, and would prefer to have all the servos straight out of the RX....

If i do decide to use a gyro it would only be to smooth out any "bumpiness" out for a more scale flight appearance. ( and not that this plane really needs this much anyway )

thx 👍

A. J. Clark 07-20-2022 10:55 AM

The as3000 gyro is not compatible with the newer spektrum powersafe receivers. The AR10400t, AR14400T, and AR20400t.

BarracudaHockey 07-20-2022 11:01 AM

It's not compatible with that receiver.

Get a iGryo or Cortex

wojtek 07-20-2022 12:37 PM

Oh wow … and it says that right in the specs too😬😑.. I should have checked better and not just listened to other advice on face value …

I guess Cortex it is… though a module with a single cable would have been nice and neat

thanks guys 👍

V

joeflyer 07-20-2022 01:36 PM

The AR20310T receiver is still available and compatible with the AS3000. If you haven't already purchased the receiver just buy an AR20310T.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...MAR20310T.html

wojtek 07-20-2022 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by joeflyer (Post 12736168)
The AR20310T receiver is still available and compatible with the AS3000. If you haven't already purchased the receiver just buy an AR20310T.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...MAR20310T.html

I already have the receiver, and not having used an AS3000 before, I will just stick with a cortex that I have experience with … if it was just a plug in module option, I would have been willing to give it a shot. I am guessing and wondering if Spektrum has an integrated version of the AR20400T- 20 on the way in the near future as it would seem odd to pull a feature like this from the product line …

V
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e03d8f905.jpeg

joeflyer 07-20-2022 02:23 PM

I have the AR20310T with AS3000 in my L-39 and like it.

I asked in another forum why Spektrum would come out with a considerably more expensive series of receivers without a gyro function. The answer was that they could not get the chips.

Zeeb 07-20-2022 09:47 PM

Please be aware that there were a lot of questions/complaints about the AS3000 and PowerSafe rx:s before the release of the newer PowerSafe rx's.

While Spektrum never admitted any issues, there were far too many reports of problems resulting in the loss of some very expensive models. Shortly there after, Spektrum ceased production/availability of the PowerSafe rxs. They were unavailable for about 18 months afterward. When they did come back online, there was a new part number and a new chipset.

Funny how that happens isn't it???????

There were a lot of us GS/Turbine guys who dropped our Spektrum PS setups and went to another radio system, me included. I would not buy a new Spektrum PS system with the idea of them having a real gyro system, They don't, you'll need to choose between an iGyro from PB or a Demon Cortex if you want a gyro.

joeflyer 07-21-2022 09:26 AM

There was a recall back in 2017 shortly after the old series of powersafe Rx's came out. Beyond that I'm not aware of any issues.
Can you supply links to any threads regarding the complaints/reports you are referring to? I'd like to learn more.

The powersafes were not available for awhile due to the worldwide chip shortages.

My AS3000 gyro works fine.

wojtek 07-21-2022 09:51 AM

A lot of good points here. Having been on Futaba with absolutely no issues for over two decades now, this was big plunge for me to take especially as the IX20 / AR20400T will be going into a substantial jet in terms of size and $$ ... I am continuing to use my 18MZ on all the planes already set up for it, but it was time to start a refresh cycle on the radio gear for the fleet.

I did see there were issues with earlier powersafe receivers, and even some recalls. Now there were more recent issues also claimed and reported as well with a previous line of PowerSafe receivers too, however there are as many of not more reports of success. Its honestly hard to get a good consensus on anything on the internet. Anything bad always boils up to the surface first ... I know when I have an issue, I will be one to bring that up on a forum, group, etc before doing the same to sing the praises of every single thing that works flawlessly as expected..... The point was also raised how recently Horizon came out with new part #s and versions of these powersafe receivers as well.. If this is really the case where there were chip shortages that affected what may have been intended additional functionality, then it may stand to reason that they had to put out technical all new versions related to any reengineering that had to be done addressing component supply issues... ( hypothesizing here of course )

At this time i have had enough real world recommendations to the point where i am comfortable having taken this route ... I look for ward to hopefully only crashing models of my own cause and accord 😅

Going back to the gyro topic,... yea it it would have been nice if Spektrum had managed to get an integrated gyro into the AR20400T ... since it is not there, i found a few Cortex i had around, and a few extra cables is a mess i'm already used to 😉

good conversation and info here. thank you 👍

Voy

Len Todd 07-21-2022 12:25 PM

I went to Powerbox Main RXer units 7 years ago and never looked back. Got a bunch of their Mercury SRS models with three Spektrum Serial RXers on each. You can change a PBox to any type of receiver(s). However, I am stuck with one Spektrum Powersafe in a BVM plane I bought. I too had a bit of trouble getting used to the AS3000. Got that turned off for now. But, ... You will love the IX20 once you get used to all it functions. There is a great forum thread on the IX20 over on RCG. Yoo may want to skip the first 300 or so pages because they pertain to earlier software versions, etc. Spektrum has several of the original and current development guys on that thread, and there are several non-Spektrum experts on there too.

F900 07-21-2022 02:22 PM

I'll give you my 1c of thoughts, 90% of all my jets have the Spektrum Power receiver with the AS3000 gyro, BVM L-39, Rafale, Bandit x 2, F-18, F1 and CARF Flash and other jets I've owned and I have had no issues. The only issue I have had with some is when you switch on the RX the gyro does not activate, you just have to disconnect the gyro, reconnect and issue is solved. I also have Cortex gyros, I have one in a BVM UB Evo and honestly I can't tell the difference in the air. AS3000 has worked for me, simple to use and set up.

wojtek 07-21-2022 08:20 PM

@Len, I have a few power boxes with my Futaba systems as well, a bunch of Royalss, competitions, and mercury. They have been flawless. Usually wherever possible I will use dual receivers.

With the new SR2 versions The larger power boxes can no longer support 4x Spektrum rx. This is part of the reason why I just went to the powersafe.

@f900 i’m glad to hear of your good success with the Spektrum setups. i really believe and have seen most systems are successful and problem free for the majority. 👍

Voy

Zeeb 07-22-2022 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by joeflyer (Post 12736343)
There was a recall back in 2017 shortly after the old series of powersafe Rx's came out. Beyond that I'm not aware of any issues.
Can you supply links to any threads regarding the complaints/reports you are referring to? I'd like to learn more.

The powersafes were not available for awhile due to the worldwide chip shortages.

My AS3000 gyro works fine.

Do you own research......

joeflyer 07-23-2022 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12736569)
Do you own research......

I have and cannot find the many problems/complaints that you referred to.

Just wanted to know what your comments are based on and what problems might be out there..

Zeeb 07-23-2022 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by joeflyer (Post 12736649)
I have and cannot find the many problems/complaints that you referred to.

Just wanted to know what your comments are based on and what problems might be out there..

Spend some time on FG. Nothing too recent, but go back several years and you'll find quite a few posts.

Rick75 07-24-2022 01:42 PM

Just wait.😎