RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   F-111 Ardvark...does anyone make a kit of this plane? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/155445-f-111-ardvark-does-anyone-make-kit-plane.html)

sandman-RCU 06-06-2002 12:01 PM

F-111 Ardvark...does anyone make a kit of this plane?

I am interested in building a F-111 and was wondering if anyone knows of a kit that is available in the USA or overseas. I thought I saw a references to an F-111 on this list recently.
If I were to scratch build the F-111 what would be the best over all size.
Thank you
Paul

Chris Z 06-06-2002 12:57 PM

Sandman,
I don't think there's a kit but some guy in Australia built a couple a while back.

jettset99 06-06-2002 01:22 PM

F-111

Hi I have accsess to 1/10 scale molds!

Pete S-RCU 06-06-2002 03:51 PM

I think the guy in Australia is Mark Kyle of Kyle Communications.
If not he would know who did build it.
A very nice guy.

sandman-RCU 06-06-2002 11:54 PM

Thank you for the replies so far.
What size was the Australian F-111, is it larger than 1/10th?
What size do you guys think would be a good economical airframe size for turbine operation? Can the gentlemen with the molds sell a fuse?
Thank you
Paul

jettset99 06-07-2002 12:58 AM

F-111

Hi the F-111 molds were said to be done buy the same guy that made the 2 sizes of F-18s that are said to be sold by yellow today , I believe this that Ive seen the f-18s molds,allso I know he has the scale exahust ducts & formers from general dynamic cads ,and swing wing cores and rudder ,this plane will work for a single p-120 or p-80 we went toghther to local airforce base to make scale gear templates we lost intrest due to lack of modivation, he has all templates the stabs are done with balsa and carbon paper that comes out sharp as a razor! the only factor stoping was the devolopement of scale gear I think the yellow F-16 gear would work with larger tires and bigger piston. If enough guys showed intrest I might be able to talk him in to pakaging a semi kit I have a dcu F-14 the swing wing system will work perfect ronnie would shurley help! nose gear is simple the proto type had 2 os 77 and byron fans cut down shrouds and flew but crash from radio problem gold box futaba fred flinstone era! let me know Ill post some pics of the molds they are in great shape !

Heavybird 06-07-2002 01:02 AM

YES

I for one would love to have a model of a F-111. Hey EASYTIGER, if you get a fuselage will you be able to make the wings, set up the gear and so forth, cause if you can do this - I would love to
have one too!

jettset99 06-07-2002 01:18 AM

F-111

Well see if you can get 10+ people they would need lots of material costing less in bulk ill post some pics of fuse and molds ill try and put something toghther for those interested in this plane they can be laid up with 80-20 carbon fiber and carbon but does anyone know were to get end grain carbon laminate formers cut? if templates are supplyed?

Turbinator-inactive 06-07-2002 01:20 AM

The 111 is probably one of the most difficult jets to model. The landing gear would be impossible (Except for Century Jets :D ) Combine that with the swing wings, twin engines etc etc and you are asking for trouble.

jettset99 06-07-2002 01:25 AM

Impossible

Hmmm herd the same crap in 1984 about turbine motors for are models would you like some crow now or later!

Turbinator-inactive 06-07-2002 01:30 AM

Impossible

Jetset,

where do I write impossible??. I am sure a dedicated team of modelers could do this. Lets say combining the best model builders in the country, - and a couple of retract guys and a large stack of cash. Sure it would be possible. But I do not beleive any average modeler could pull this one of. You realize how the main gear rotates before being tucked away...And you are asking where to get end grain carbon fiber at this stage. There is a whole lot of work to be done before even thinking about cutting formers

PW

Heavybird 06-07-2002 01:30 AM

Exactly!

Okay, if this was such a difficult model to do, why would the fuselage be the hard part. What is so hard about taking a plain empty fuselage, figuring out a few formers, throwing in a set of simple gear, a turbine and bam we got a model. How hard can it be.

Looks like Easytiger and a few other guys have done this before, I'm in.

Turbinator-inactive 06-07-2002 02:05 AM

OK EASYTIGER, I am talking nonsense.

But in my book an F-111 with spring airs is as close to an F-111 as a Kangaroo is to looking like the Concorde... Are you going to skip the swing wings also? :-)

PW

jettset99 06-07-2002 02:23 AM

Kit and gear

Hi first off I know allot about making rc planes but I'm not in the business I know what it will take to make scale gear for this plane invested allot of time it is a simple design but many moving parts the real plane only uses 1 small hydraulic ram to operate the whole system! the company who made the gear for the F-111 also made the gear for the tornado seconded im not interested in kitting this plane I have spent many hours working on it its allot of work and time... the owner also has no need to kit it and only might be motivated with some high interest !Also saw the $5000 dollar su 37 kit no endgrain carbon laminate very heavy! Also look at the fiberclassic mig 29 to complicated the swing wing system will bolt in from jet mart same size plane so the swing wing the fuse the wing cores elevator rudder drawings templates are in the bag!

Heavybird 06-07-2002 02:27 AM

What?

Hey I am confused, Is building an F 111 something that is within the reach of a guy like Easytiger and others or not? Like I said, I would love to have one of these models but before I spend a (what could possibly be) lot of cash I would like to know that there is a degree of certainty to a given project.
Turbinator, I agree that there have been literaly hundreds of dreamers,scam artists and want-a-bees that proclaim their abilities just to get attention but how can you tell if someone is sincere? If this guy can put a Scale F 111 together with all that is involved in that alone, and the gear is a little off is that so bad. Although I have to agree with you (cause I know you have been around jets since the dawn of time) about the near imp[ossible task, but lets see what happens. Maybe we will se an F 111 here within a year or so and then what will you say. Then on the other hand maybe you should pass the "crow" to your left:-)

Turbinator-inactive 06-07-2002 02:33 AM

jetset

Jetset, i am very sorry but I did not understand a word of what you just said. Could you repeat it with the spell checker in the ON position pls <G>

PW

jettset99 06-07-2002 02:41 AM

Ok you win !

Hey I dont need money I have a bank account I go to the bank punch in a code and it spits it out so lets drop the scam artist stuff if guys want a fuse and such im not paying for them! anyways Ill post what we have and talk to the owner and we can go from thier..

Heavybird 06-07-2002 02:47 AM

WOW

OKay, what happened! I don't understand a word that is being said. If you guys what to speak pig latin - okay, just let me know when I can get my hands on one of them F111's.
Easy-T, you have a green light. If you bring an F111 to the market, I will be standing right there in line with cash. By the way, what other models do you offer or have available? I like the unique stuff.

jettset99 06-07-2002 02:48 AM

Jettset

Hey Mr t, Jettset is with 2 ts as they say "anytime baby"

sandman-RCU 06-07-2002 02:57 AM

Man it sounds like the F-111 has a lot of fans! If they are available do you think I could get a complete fuse and foam cores for the wings, tails and fin. What would they cost me? I could design my own guts, use the Tornado or F-14 swing wing stuff and non scale gear for now. I would think that this would be the easiest for the guy who has the molds and templates to produce. No thinking or designing needed. Just lay up the fuse, cut the cores, box ship and take the money. Which brings me back to ....How much?
Thank you
Paul

Heavybird 06-07-2002 03:00 AM

Easy(jettset)

Hey guys we are just here talking. No need to get mad. We Do this for fun. Jettset, if I may say so, that one response was a little hard to read. I mean who amoung us is an English teacher but. . . you seemed to be typing with a hoof or the leg of a three toed sloth or something like that. Just Kidding:-)
Hey so when do I get my F 111? I am definantly- in, you can put me down, mark me up, take the name, catch a wave, do it to it, Yea Baby (A. Powers style) and last but not least. . .Woo Hoo!

T45WingNut 06-07-2002 03:06 AM

F-111 R / C Scale Model

1 Attachment(s)
Hello here is some pic and info from the guy in Australia ..his name is DaviddeBotton i was talking with him threw email for past year and have kinda lost contack with him i do have his email but will not post it at this time..( i going to ask him first.) he is looking for more info on the landing gear and stuff like that i will try to email him and see if he minds me posting his email on here and see if any one out there can help on some of this..

Turbinator-inactive 06-07-2002 03:10 AM

sloth

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Heavybird,

Are you telling me that THIS THING is the F-111 builder you are sending your cash :D :D

Heavybird 06-07-2002 03:18 AM

If the shoe fits. . .

Hey if Easytiger there can build me an F 111, then the answer is yes, I will pay him cash, looks don't bother me a bit.

I WANT THAT PLANE!

jettset99 06-07-2002 04:12 AM

F-111

Hi we know of him allso hes been trying to get the tail cones from us and info on the landing gear allso! Ok Now it seems I will need to start a new post F111 101... for the non believers.. he seems to only have a plug ?