RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Kyosho F-16 Glow, can it fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/237216-kyosho-f-16-glow-can-fly.html)

vipul 08-20-2002 02:56 AM

Kyosho F-16 Glow, can it fly

Hey Guys,

Looks like Kyosho is promoting their new Glow f-16. Anyone have any reports on how this one flies. I was very interested last year in the f86 but after reading all of the negative posts on this plane being little more than a powered glider, I decided to not press my luck.

Looks like the f-16 is powered by the same setup with the O.S. .15 . I wonder if this plane flies better since I don't think kyosho would be stupid enough to try to sell another floater to the market after the f-86.

Well if anyone has any other info, please let me know as I would be really interested in buying this plane if it really flew (doesn't need to perform like a bandit but at least needs to fly as well as an avistar !! :-)

--Vipul

littlepiston 08-20-2002 03:01 AM

Re: Kyosho F-16 Glow, can it fly

[QUOTE I wonder if this plane flies better since I don't think kyosho would be stupid enough to try to sell another floater to the market after the f-86.[/QUOTE]

THAY ARE!!!:D

freestyle-RCU 08-27-2002 12:24 AM

I'd really love to hear from someone who has experience with this kit. From the lack of response here so far, I assume it's not actually shipping yet?

They seem to have increased the wing area quite a bit over what a properly scaled F-16 would have, so I'd guess that at the very least it's probably a better glider than the F-86 was. :)

F900 08-27-2002 12:58 AM

Look at kyosho's Ducted Fan history (Electric and Glow) every single jet they had out was underpowered and required eithier a bigger engine or many mods with marginal success.

Look what engine comes with the F-16 same one as the F-86. Also look at the Landing gear on it, its huge, its other function might as well be a air brake.

If i was to spend $500 i would eithier look at that A7 Tower hobbies is selling or save a little more and buy a 2nd hand ducted fan jet ( which is what i did ), neithier of these 2 jets are good for a beginner starting of in D/F jets.

Rahlberg13-delete 08-27-2002 03:13 AM

F900,

Would you spend $500 for a twin .21 powerd F14? What about a .21 powerd F15? If these came to you as a kit similar to the larger jets (i.e. fiberglass fuse, foam cored/balsa skinned wings, ducting, hardware), would you or anyone else be interested?

What if the kit came with everything needed to fly except the radio (i.e. kit+ engine+ fan)? What do you think?

I'm asking this because we're working on a .18-.21 powered F14 and F15, market released hopfully by the end of the year. Price for the F14 would be in the ranges of $500, minus the engine, $700 with engines and the F15 for $500 with the engines.

The .21 jets would be almost scale, except that they'd be easy to fly. Minor design changes would allow easy entry from the prop side of RC to the jet without a lot of investment in the larger jets. Also, these would be small enough that they'd fit in the back seat of your car! No need to tow that trailer or pull all the seats out of the SUV just to fit the plane in. The'd be small enough to go out and get a quick flight or two in before dinner.

Seems there's alot of room for smaller DF jet manufacturers not that engines and fans are becoming more effective.

Anyhow, justour ideas.

Russ
[email protected]

EASYTIGER 08-27-2002 05:00 AM

Here we go again!
I have flown the T33, the electric F16, the F86, and have seen the learjet fly. All flew fine.

EASYTIGER 08-27-2002 05:01 AM

Rahlberg, you are talking apples and oranges. The Kyosho stuff is ARF. You are talking about kits.

Rahlberg13-delete 08-27-2002 04:02 PM

Hey Easytiger.

No, actually, these would be close to the Kyosho ARF's also. Not a kit. The Kyosho's aren't complete ARF's, as there is a little bit of assembly. The same would be for these kits. There'd be minimal building to get them in the air.

Anyhow...just our thoughts.

Russ

Terry Holston 08-28-2002 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Rahlberg13
Hey Easytiger.

No, actually, these would be close to the Kyosho ARF's also. Not a kit. The Kyosho's aren't complete ARF's, as there is a little bit of assembly. The same would be for these kits. There'd be minimal building to get them in the air.

Anyhow...just our thoughts.

Russ

Bring 'em on. They would be just right for AMT's new "mini Me" turbine 4 lbs thrust with 6.5 oz engine. Like WOW! :D

Here is the Prototype mounted on the Hot Spec. AMT Mercury in the foreground for size comparison.

t33jetman 08-28-2002 01:41 AM

Terry, you know that the mini-me turbine is going to be priced so high because of the material and tolerances needed to produce that engine , that it is not going to sell to the everyday masses. A 300-400 dollar plane with a 5000 dollar engine to fly it is not go to go over well.

Easytiger, I just picked up a new A7 Corsair, 18 powered ducted fan arf kit today. It comes with a full glass duct , pull start engine, pipe. All of the fixes that I put into the Kyosho F86 are already in this one right from the factory. Very nice setup inside of the plane. I will try to have this done by the weekend and test fly and will let everyone know if it is better than my modified Kyosho F86 in performance.

A F4 Phantom is also on the way, this looks like the future, low priced ducted fan plane that fits in the back seat of you car with pull start.

This clean intake and thrust tube looks just like the big boys only smaller. I hope it has the speed to shut everyone up who has not been a beliver so far.

Jetman out....

EASYTIGER 08-28-2002 01:48 AM

That engine that comes with the A7 is the Toki 18, it puts out considerably more power than the OS15 unit, you'll love it. Plus, it is rear exhaust, which helps everything.
If the A7 does not fly so well, put the Toki into the Sabre.
I have heard from my friend in Japan that neither the A7 or the F4 fly very well. I have not experienced either myself, though.
Really looking forward to your flight report!

That miniturbine is soooo cool. I would not speculate on the price yet, though...

t33jetman 08-28-2002 02:00 AM

Easytiger,

If he says it doesn't fly well , you know me I will fix it and make it fly just like I did with the Saber. I am having too much fun with these little jets that I have had little time to finish my big ones.

I will keep you informed on my progress and if any changes that I make after the first flight.

Jetman out...

shanksow 08-28-2002 02:11 AM

Rahlberg13-what about...& T.Holston

Rahlberg13-
Sounds like a great idea and I look forward to seeing what you have after all the prototypes have flown. But howabout a F-111 as well? For that small a model, you don't have to have that infamous main landing gear system.

Terry Holston-
"Bring 'em on. They would be just right for AMT's new "mini Me" turbine 4 lbs thrust with 6.5 oz engine."
Terry, looking at the picture you posted, this turbine you are talking about looks even smaller than the new MW44? Is this true? What IS the target price range for this engine? IS it suppose to fill in the gap left by the future departure of duct-fans for trubine training?

mavdriver 08-28-2002 04:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EASYTIGER
[B]That engine that comes with the A7 is the Toki 18, it puts out considerably more power than the OS15 unit, you'll love it. Plus, it is rear exhaust, which helps everything.
If the A7 does not fly so well, put the Toki into the Sabre.
I have heard from my friend in Japan that neither the A7 or the F4 fly very well. I have not experienced either myself, though.
Really looking forward to your flight report!

Hey easy where you pick up this toki fan, engine and A7 thanks .Ed

DrV 08-28-2002 04:21 AM

Rahlberg13

I would be interested in these small jets with such prices that you are talking about.

Mike

t33jetman 08-28-2002 02:26 PM

A7 , it is from a company Hot Bodies out of California, I will post phone number and address when i get home to night. send me and e-mail and i will take photos of my wobrk on the plane tonight i am trying to have it ready to fly this week end . It better beat my Kyosho F86 which is smoking right now with 156 flights on it.

Willliam

EASYTIGER 08-28-2002 04:49 PM

How much did you pay for it? They are asking $400 on ebay...

EASYTIGER 08-28-2002 08:05 PM

I got this email today:
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our product. The A-7 Corsair is now available for $509.00, plus delv charges. It is a ARF kit, with painted FRP fuselage, easy to assemble, fuel tank, linkage parts, accessory parts, and tires are included. It has a powerful easy to start special ducted fan with 18 engine with recoil starter and muffler tuned silencer included. Total length 1120mm width 1210mm main wing is 31.5dsqm. Will need a radio 5ch, 5 servos (2aileron servos) these are not included.
If you are ready to place your order we accept all major credit cards, call me at 1-800-221-6053.

Sincerely,
Ricky's RC Car
[email protected]

To me, the price is rather high, above retail, I think. But...if you have to be first on your block to have it, here it is.

F900 08-28-2002 08:16 PM

A7

Yes price is a little on the high side, its cheaper at towerhobbies, only down side you just have to wait for it to be in stock

mavdriver 08-28-2002 11:01 PM

Re: A7

[ I would like to see it first and here some feed back before i buy ,t33 jetman can you post a pic of your A7 thanks . Ed ]

littlepiston 08-28-2002 11:06 PM

what up Ed.
Uni Here

that a7 corsair looks cool but i think it will be heavy thas five servos!in it
the kyosho has four aaaaaand bearly flys(well down here were i live )
how is yours doing ?

long time no talk :D

mavdriver 08-29-2002 12:22 AM

Hey uni whats up ? yes i still have the little F86 im thinking of doing retracts , i know it will be heavier but i think the os 25 will handle it just fine , i like that A7 i might go electric dont know yet , depends on how well it fies with the 18 toki fan combo , there will be some reports soon i hope . :) Ed

mavdriver 08-29-2002 12:33 AM

Re: Re: A7

i am interested in what Rahlberg13 has to offer :cool: how ever i would like to see one of his kits fly first before i make a decision to buy one , so Rahlberg13 how soon before your kit will be out ? :) Ed from hot Southern Cal.

littlepiston 08-29-2002 12:41 AM

HEY ED I WOULD LIKE THAT Tight little turbin
hey !! little turbin i like the name too

EASYTIGER 08-29-2002 01:03 AM

I agree on wanting to see the A7 fly before buying. The F86 was neat because it was the first of its kind, but now that the basic format has been proven, I want some real performance.
I think a viper type, the smallest airframe possible wrapped around the fan, would be great. And that already exists, it's the Pilot DJ3. It's not scale, but a sport job, and it has retracts. From seeing the video, it looks like a real perfomer. I have one on the way, will give a flight report for sure. It's not an ARF, though.
As far as Rahlberg's stuff, sounds great. Looking forward to seeing prototypes fly, especially the F15.
T33, really looking forward to seeing your Corsair go. If it does not have enough gumption, think about investing in a really good 21 car engine.
I have a Japanese magazine here with one of those stuffed into a Kyosho F86, using the Wemotec rotor, with retracts. I can't read japanese, but from the flight shot, the thing was climbing out at forty-five degrees.