RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Where to get co2 ext. ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/31578-where-get-co2-ext.html)

JohnVH 01-06-2002 09:42 PM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

I have looked at marine store, home depot, hardware store, auto parts store, do you guys order them from somewhere?

Thanks

jcw111 01-06-2002 10:51 PM

CO2 Extinguisher

John

Look in the yellow pages under fire extinguishers and pick a place close to you. You can buy both new and used-----Get a 5lb bottle.

Jim Whitney

JohnVH 01-06-2002 11:07 PM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

OK, will go check.
Thanks!

John Redman 01-07-2002 12:00 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

Expect to pay around $125 - $175 for one. They aren't cheap. I paid $125 for a used one. I figured I didn't need a pretty brand new red one for the field.

John Redman
BVM, Jet Cat USA

jetspud 01-07-2002 12:43 AM

fire exting

I live down here in Houston Texas and there is this company right by my house that sold me my 5 lbs co2 extingusher for $ 50. Refillable ect ect. Not sure if that was a special price or what. If you want I could cheak the price for you?

Let me know

David Elizondo
[email protected]

JohnVH 01-07-2002 12:58 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

Wow, they are a little more, oh well, Thats fine. I have lots of CO2 at work, a refillable would be awesome!

Hey jetspud, let me know what you can get them for.

jcw111 01-07-2002 01:16 AM

CO2

Hey guys---------------------I think all CO2 extinguishers are refillable. I have never seen one that is not !!!. I paid $50.00 for a used one that was cerified. I paid $125.00 for a light weight new one. The price of a refill in Arizona is $12.00. I know--I have put out a few fires.

Jim Whitney

George 01-07-2002 02:32 AM

$50?

$50, that's all!!!? I'm like John, I had to pay $125 and that was shopping around.

George
SimJet USA

John Redman 01-07-2002 03:52 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

Jim, I am thinking you are benifiting from the Phoenix area. Alot of shops and thus maybe the price bearrier gets broken down a little. Here in Lancaster, there are only two fire extinguisher shops, and my bet is after I talked with both, both owners went out for lunch and I was the topic of conversation. Just a guess. I would bet the larger mettropolitan areas may be better in this area in terms of pricing.

John

DavidR 01-07-2002 04:54 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

I buy my fire extinguisher from a company by the name of Northern Safety. I buy a good bit of safety equipment for my buisness and ordered my CO2 extinguisher from them. I think it was around $75 new. They are refillable.

JohnVH 01-07-2002 06:04 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

can someone refill them themselves? I have unlimited access to a welding shop with a lot of co2 bottles in it.

Brian B 01-07-2002 07:34 AM

CO2 Extinguisher

I hate to be the bearer of discouraging news, but a couple of us here in Minneapolis picked up scruffy looking(but serviceable) CO2 extinguishers for just $15. They work, too. These were obtained at a local fire extinguisher dealer.

azblue 01-07-2002 06:33 PM

Halon

I guess the halon ones are the best, even better than co2. I got a 5 pound halon for $80, dingeg up a little on the outside but completly servicable. shop around and be sure to ask what they have in the back. kind of like a scratch and dent sale.

Andy

DavidR 01-07-2002 06:59 PM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

Andy,

You may still be able to get a few Halon extinguishers but you will not be able to get them refilled. I have been using Halon for the last few years, and they no longer will fill the bottles. There is a new chemical that has replaced Halon but I am not sure if it is safe to use on our engines.

JohnVH 01-08-2002 01:28 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

Well, I got a 5 pound CO2, it is used, but should do the trick, $80 and they brought it to my work!!
Thanks guys.

TJK 01-10-2002 01:13 PM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

John,
I bought a second hand 9 lb Halon 1211 extinguisher from a local fire equipment supply house for $50. The extinguisher looks factory new. It was approaching it's refill date, therefore the low price. The shop owner explained that it could not be sold for commercial purposes because of the impending refill date, but that it was still 100% effective as long as the charge indicated in the green band on the pressure gauge.
Halon is by far the best agent to use on our turbines. They displace the oxygen, thereby extinguishing the fire. No low temperature shock to the hot turbine and no residue.
Good luck with your search!

ChuckC 01-10-2002 02:14 PM

True Cost of extinguisher

Here's the real skinny:

As it turns out, among my many other duties, I'm the "shop manager" of our fire extinguisher hydrostating/maintenance fill shop. It's a Medical reasearch setting-we use TONS of CO2 a year and buy a lot of extinguishers.

We get 5# CO2 extinguishers for $35 each (when buying like 15 or 20). Most, if not all are refillable. Some just aren't high quality (easily repairable). CO2 costs nothing.

If you live near Galveston, TX I could probably help with getting your extinguishers refilled and recertified, since that's a part of my department's business and we are DOT certified to do so.

p.s. The Halon replacement extinguishers are easily suitable for turbines-same effect (high fire suppression with minimal to no impact on electronics-don't know how it would affect hot metal). The only difference is that the new stuff (Halotron, etc.) is not as effective as Halon. Halon extinguishers can be serviced-it's just more expensive than a new CO2.

TJK 01-11-2002 03:02 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

John,
I stopped by my local fire agent supply store again today just to see what he had on hand. Two 9 lb Halon extinguishers, second hand in excellent condition, $20 each! It's worth checking around your hometown.
I asked about shipping.....he estimated at least $40 after hazmat charges. Sorry

YankeeAirPirate 01-22-2002 09:09 AM

Co2

Hi JohnVh:

I purchased 2-10lb co2 units for $65 each with a fresh charge from a local fire eq. suppy.

Have a fellow modeler/nut who is Pro firefighter and he advised me to stay away from halon as is on its way out and way expensive to recharge.
New stuff is also way expensive.

Also carry a portable pee pump with appx 20 gals of water to fill it.
as the co2 works great on jet,but if you get the pucker brush going...look out.

+2shovels (also works to bury assorted parts if necessary)

Try to have at least one ext and water pump with water and shovles loaded ready to respond to an off field incident.

I view this a being prepared for the worst and hopefully being pleasently suprized.

I think it would also help to defend yourself and your actions if you were called upon someday in a legal type of setting.

Good luck ,ck the Yellow pages

Rolling out

XCaliber 01-22-2002 05:34 PM

HALOTRON 1 FIRE EXTINGUISHER

I was shopping around in the yellow pages looking for a Halon, but they are ilegal now.
The replacement for Halon is now Halotron( halotron is a vaporizing liquid).
In one shop they wanted $395.00 for a 5LB. one, then I found a New 5Lbs. Halotron for $140.00 delivered to my door.
I got it with no hesitasion.
If you shop around you will find an afortable one.

aparchment 01-22-2002 07:13 PM

TJK you still watching this thread

TJK -- sorry don't know your name:

I would be willing to pay $40 to have a $20 co2 extinguisher shipped to me. That's still half the price of the quote I had here in town.

Please post the info. about your local dealer so that I can give him a call.

Thanks.

Antony

ghost_rider 01-22-2002 08:54 PM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

I will take one too at that $$

Dustflyer 01-23-2002 12:12 AM

Extinguishers

John,

Believe it or not you literally go to a fire extinguisher or fire equipment store. I was surprised to find one right around the corner from my house. Just look up fire extinguishers in the yellow pages.

As a general rule no one buys a brand new CO2 extinguisher as they are really expensive. My local firex store had a whole bunch of freshly recharged used ones. I picked out the best looking one and they charged me around 75 bucks for it.

JohnVH 01-23-2002 01:06 AM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

Thanks guys, but I actually got one a couple weeks ago if you check the posts!

Thanks for the idea's though, it worked!

TJK 01-23-2002 02:50 PM

Where to get co2 ext. ?

Antony,
I sent you an e-mail. Guys, really, just take a look in your local Yellow Pages under Fire Extinguishers. There are a half dozen listed in my relatively small city. They will usually have some used items that require recharging for commercial regulatory purposes but are still fully functional and serviceable for our needs. Halon is expensive to have recharged and is therefore usually available cheap as a second hand item. The Halon extinguisher I bought was essentially brand new, never discharged, but could no longer be hung on a wall in a commercial building because the tag was approaching the service date. The technician assured me that as long as the pressure remained in the green band, the agent was as effective as day 1.
Good luck!