RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Skymaster Hawk Once Again (at least!) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/3284481-skymaster-hawk-once-again-least.html)

jetsrfun 09-08-2005 09:47 AM

RE: Skymaster Hawk Once Again (at least!)

Ali,
The JR-DS168 is a much better quality servo than the Hitec... Much tighter gear train and appear to be higher quality electronics. I see todd from Dreamworks Model Products is now carrying a metal arm for the DS168 http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...94b8cede0dfdd1

RONW 09-15-2005 12:22 AM

Could somebody please give me the mesurement (Skymaster Hawk) from the nose gear mounting plate to the bottom of the extended wheel. I want to check if the one I received is the correct length fitted to the Robart retract.

Ron

jseppanen 09-15-2005 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
170mm from mounting plate to the middle of the axle, see pics...

Janne

RONW 09-15-2005 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Janne mine is close enough.
Does your nose leg end about 20mm shy of the steering arm like my one does?

Ron

Ali 09-19-2005 02:35 PM

Ron Hi.
All the hawks that I have seen have the oleo going right up to the steering arm. I think the way you have it might lead to the pin bending easily. You may have to shorten the pin. But check first that the angle of attack when you are wheels down in as close to level as possible. Maybe a little nose high but I think liek the way you have ity might be alot nose high.
Any questions just ask

RONW 09-19-2005 08:07 PM

Ali, I have checked the total length of the nose leg (about 200mm from mounting plate to ground)and it is right on the money and also it sits nicley on the ground just a little nose high. I also checked on what the ground attitude of the wing would be if I cut the steering shaft to allow the leg to contact the steering arm and it was going to be about -3 degrees so I have not cut it back.
I have been talking to Albert in Singapore and also Anton but I cannot get a reliable answer as to whether I received the correct nose leg or not.

Ron

RONW 09-19-2005 08:12 PM

Janne, Looking at your photo of the nose leg the top of the leg seems to be just inside the line of the fuselage which is where my one is.
What is between the top of the leg and the steering arm?

Ron

Q8SABRE 09-20-2005 01:47 AM

jseppanen

can you please show me your setup for the outter main gear doors

Ali 09-20-2005 02:48 AM

Hi Ron,
This is very strange. As I said I have never seen a hawk with this gap between the unit and the oleo. But at the same time I would be amazed if there is another nose leg out there the same shape as a Hawk one just shorter. Confused? I am:eek:

AsiaSRC 09-20-2005 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi RONW and Ali,

I just got these pics in to clear some confusion here!;)
In fact, RON's Hawk struts are the improved one and is no differ to the early one in dimension except color.
This go to the steering mounting as pic shown between Robart and SM's retract side by side!
But with shims added in RON's case, this still work fine unless one going to land Hawk nose down first!:)

B regards
Albert

AsiaSRC 09-20-2005 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: RONW

I have been talking to Albert in Singapore and also Anton but I cannot get a reliable answer as to whether I received the correct nose leg or not.

Ron
Hi RONW,

We both are poor in English, but SM's network is reliable!
Dont worry too much, we sure will follow through till u maiden day[8D]

B regards
Albert

RONW 09-20-2005 06:14 AM

Albert,
Thanks for clearing this up and for the photos which explain everything. You have been very helpful with all my questions, it is just the different languages cause misunderstandings sometimes.
I will try to keep the nose off the ground when landing.:)

Ron

AsiaSRC 09-20-2005 06:19 AM

Hi RONW,

I'm out again! [:-]
When I return, i will check on SM's steering mount can fix in Robart retract?
If this is possible, I will put one in next parcel for u.
No promise this will work, but I will try!

B regards
Albert

jetmodeller 10-04-2005 01:52 PM

Hi I am putting together a hawk. The answer to the clunk problem is BVM clunk tubing very flexiable and no problem inverted i used it on my Viper it works a Treat.What are you all using for Aileron servos?

Ali 10-04-2005 03:07 PM

Thanks I will try to get some of that stuff. I modified my wing and made the servo boxes (Cheap plastic ones) fit so i could use a standard servo. I use Futaba 3305 (Cheap non core less around £30.00) I suffered some aileron flutter using the JR 3301 on ailerons, but this could have been the way the linkage was set up. But with the 3305's I get rock solid control

RONW 10-04-2005 03:08 PM

I am going for the JR3301 on ailerons. They appear to be enough unless you want really high speeds and my research found a lot use them satisfactorily though some have opted to shoe horn in 8411's for a safety margin.

RONW 10-05-2005 04:41 PM

Is the placement of the wing fences and dorsal fins very critical?
I have a somewhat scale drawing which show the wing fences placement on the wing L/E, is on a line through the aileron and flap gap, but then they converge in on a fwd angle of about 4 deg.

I do not have any detail of the dorsal fin placement except that they sit just outside of the speed brake. When I look at photos they seem to be at an angle to each other but that could be an optical illusion and they are parallel?

Mi-25 10-05-2005 10:52 PM

Hi Ron
I faced a similar problem on my SM F-15. The front tank (1LT) - is narrow and high. I found that no matter what you do with a normal clunk setup, the clunk will never be able to move reliably to the top of the tank when inverted - even yellow Tygon.
So, my fix was: I made a 'loop' with the fuel tubing. In other words, the tubing is probably double the length of a normal setup - it routes down to the bottom - loops back up to the top - and then back down to the bottom: and use a HEAVY clunk. With this extra length of pipe the clunk movement is not restricted by the tubing.
Also, you MUST use soft tubing like Tygon tubing (yellow colour).

There are always different ideas/solutions out there for this type of thing - I have about twenty flights on my a/c, inverted/rolls etc. with no problems. My fix works for me - if you assemble the tank - hold it up and simulate a 'roll' inverted and back - any which way - the clunk always falls to the lowest part of the tank. The only drawback of this system is that there is the outside chance that the fuel line could become 'knotted' - so you will need to check the clunk freedom on a regular basis!

You also need a good header tank setup - if the turbine sucks any air it's a flameout for sure !

cheers

Leon

sky warrior 10-06-2005 11:48 AM

John
How does your Supersport perform in the Hawk. I am looking for good stable flight and some vertical performance not a blistering sky eater. I still would like a little in reserve for that "Out of trouble" feel and cannot decide between the Supersport and the P 120 ?

Whats the view

David

john agnew 10-06-2005 03:07 PM

David

Have yet to maiden the Hawk / Supersport combo. Ali Machinchy is flying that setup and seems to think it is fine, maybe you could ask him for his views.

Regards

john

jetmodeller 10-06-2005 03:57 PM

Hi Ali this is keith Whiddett do you find it nessarsry to stick the fin on to the fuse?i fear that it might flutter?\\\\are you aware that the nose leg on your retracts when retracted can not lock out because it hits the retract unit! I have seen Ali,s hawk fly with the wren 54 super sport in it and it flys well mainly because it is much lighter that is what i am putting in mine. What is the length of the exhaust duct for it Ali?

john agnew 10-07-2005 02:48 AM

Jetmodeller

I had the same problem with the noseleg / retract unit. I am using the VMP Diamond retract set and was able to reverse the retract direction in the unit thus solving the problem. With the Supersport I am using a Wren Supersport pipe which is 650mm long and a perfect fit apart from having to add some ply spacers on the tail former.

John

sky warrior 10-07-2005 03:32 AM

Hi,
Does anyone have knowledge of the ne "Wasp" engine. Its seems to be the same size and weight as the Wren S/Sport and lower rpm but similar fuel consumption but producing 20 lbs of thrust !

This seems to me if it works to be very worth consideration as with appx 2lbs plus more thrust but same weight this would produce a lighter loaded frame with good Power weight ratio.

However like all things in life, simply does it do what it says on the tin ?

David

john agnew 10-07-2005 08:08 AM

David

The answer to that one is nobody knows yet! The Wasp has been advertised for some time and I believe, from reading the latest info on their website, that they are just going into production. I agree with you, It sounds like a very attractive propositon for the money asked.

I think I will wait and get some user feedback before jumping in!

John

jseppanen 10-07-2005 12:32 PM

Ok, let's see if this works.

Made a little 23M video (mini dv onboard, 4min 39sec). I must say that with the Hawk everything is good now after 49 flights, BUT all these video editing and ftp programs are driving me nuts! Footage is from two different flights. Gusty winds as you can see.

Here goes, please right click and save as...

http://jansep.pp.fi/videos/Hawk.mpg

Janne