RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Airworld Hawk Building thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/3454983-airworld-hawk-building-thread.html)

Falcon 64 10-14-2005 11:30 AM

Airworld Hawk Building thread

Is there any build thread on the Airworld Hawk currently running on the net?
I can`t find any..
Jet Int. will start a review in the next issue, but I`m looking for a moore feedback friendly version.

Gudmund

schroedm 10-14-2005 05:26 PM

RE: Airworld Hawk Building thread?

Hi Gudmund,

I have just paid for mine (should be with me in a week or so) and plan on documenting the build here and maybe even write a detailed manual as I go. Others could hopefully benefit from it as the CD included with the kit has no instructions and only a few useful pics!

Rgds,
Mark

David Gladwin 10-14-2005 06:45 PM

Count me in chaps. My Hawk is well on the way after a LOT of pondering over where exactly the main fuselage formers go. I've also just received a JetCat smoke pump for it, very nice !

Regards,

David Gladwin.

schroedm 10-15-2005 08:53 AM

Hi David,

Well, if it can save us a LOT of pondering, do you have pics or a measurement or two of where the formers should go?! :D

Rgds,
Mark

Falcon 64 10-15-2005 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Make sure you all gather in the "promised" upcoming thread then.
Might be interesting for others too.;)
I was told to wait 12-14 weeks, but that isn`t strange at all, when I realize all the customers of this model..
Vital information such as main formers placement is interesting information..

I found this picture on the net. Quite huge.....

Gudmund

schroedm 10-15-2005 01:32 PM

Hi Gudmund,

Once I get started on mine I'll be sure to post some pics!

Ordered mine middle of June and got email 2 weeks ago saying it was ready. Quite a wait and that was BEFORE the Jet Masters really put this model in the limelight!!

That is Tim Currie's Hawk - think he's nearly finished it now and aims to test fly it at end of this month. Hopefully he'll have some feedback following his test flights!

Rgds,
Mark

David Gladwin 10-15-2005 04:48 PM

Main former placement:

The forward face of the second main former is 43 mm aft of the rear edge of the GTS exhaust hole.
The forward face of the lower edge of the former is 7.5 cm aft of the front edge of the rear wing retaining cross member.
The other main former will then line up automatically. The formers are not truly vertical but triple checking of inlets and jetpipe shows it all fits.

The aft face of the nose gear former is 2mm forward of the aft edge of the nose gear door cutouts.

I hope I am correct as they are all glued in with Hysol 9462. !

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Falcon 64 10-15-2005 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay! Now we`re talking

I think the BAe Hawk thread have just started..?
I cant wait to get mine. Should be early next year then.
And yes, the picture is the model...[:-]

Gudmund

schroedm 10-15-2005 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I cant wait to get mine. Should be early next year then
Hopefully, I may have finished 'my manual' by then!? [8D]

Rgds,
Mark

Falcon 64 10-15-2005 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cant wait...
I`m looking forward to have some hits, further than the already given.

This might be interesting..[8D]

Gudmund

David Gladwin 10-17-2005 05:27 AM

Progress to date:

All formers in, including nose and tail group.

Nose access hatches done., radii at corners far too small for scale, needs doubling.

Stab mounted, straightforward, used Dubro 8-32 socket head bolts, trimmed to length, and blind nuts.

Tailbox fitted, forward "legs " removed and glued to fuselage so box can be removed, re-installed, with rudder fitted.

Rudder installed. (take your tiime, requires some accurate and careful work but the result is perfection. ) Rudder needs some slight correction to length.

Speedbrake installed. (take your time, requires some accurate and careful work but the result is perfection and I have installed carbon fiber tube as bearings for socket head bolts as shafts, which means zero slop and a removeable brake.
Air intakes installed but not trunking.

Still to go : Intake trunking, nose gear doors and canopy then the wing ! This will incorporate center line hingeing of the ailerons which is scale, the kit has top hinged ailerons.

The JetCat smoke pump has arrived (and English instructions, thanks to Bob and Matt), now to figure out how to switch smoke colours in flight !

Sensational kit, you guys are going to love it ! (but why no proper instructions, at least give us a starting point !!)

Regards,

David Gladwin.

David Gladwin 10-18-2005 04:33 AM

At close of play today:

Wing servo covers cutout and re-edged. Inboard edges of aileron covers should be cut about 1/16th inch further outboard as marked cut is over a ply rib.

Flap and aileron servo mounts were found to be pre-installed , ready to accept JR8411 servos, brilliant !!

Main landing gear trial fitted, perfect fit, (noticed wheels are ball bearinged.) Some parts of gear mounts require a little attention with Hysol.

Brakes tested, excellent.

Gear doors trimmed to final, perfect, fit (not much to do !)

Ailerons and wings prepared for center hinged ailerons using three large Robart hinges each side. (time consuming, can be avoided if top hinged ailerons are acceptable for scale work, as supplied. )

Final application of Hysol to all formers where required.

Two more days work and it will be ready for primer.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

schroedm 10-18-2005 06:27 AM

WOW! Someone works fast!! :D

Any pics of what you've done so far or do we have to await the magazine article?!?

Rgds,
Mark

Falcon 64 10-18-2005 08:14 AM

Yes PICS please!!
Would be a apetizer for moore jet-freaks than me..

Keep posting David!

Gudmund

David Gladwin 10-18-2005 03:12 PM

I'll try and get some pix up soon but full details in RCJI. Just can't stop working on this machine, its such a pleasure now that I am over the hurdle of former locations !
Regards,
David Gladwin.

David Gladwin 10-20-2005 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You asked for pictures !

A wet afternoon in Sydney (rain at last) allowed me to virtually finish the wings and take a few low res pix.

Still to go, intake trunking, canopy and door hinges, then its virtually done. Its not that I am a fast builder (these days it takes me two hours to watch 60 minuutes) but the fact that everything goes together so well, you just want to keep going !

Regards,

David Gladwin.

David Gladwin 10-20-2005 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More

Falcon 64 10-20-2005 06:10 AM

It sure looks good!
And how many hours till now?

When i saw the picture of the air-intake, I asked myselves what to do about the rivets and screws, wich now is sanded to nothing. Could be replaced with some Hysol on a tooth-pick..?
Can you take som pix to give a scale to it also?

Brg
Gudmund

Topgun2mo 10-20-2005 06:48 AM

David, I have always wondered about that speed brake......it just looks like it will drag the ground every time on landing or is that to be deployed only after landing?

Thanks

schroedm 10-20-2005 07:34 AM

If you watch the video on Airworld's website, Thomas lowers the brake after landing and it appears to have about 1" clearance. Not sure I'd land with it deployed though!

David, quick question re the gear doors - are they meant to be flush? I had a feeling the smaller door at the top of the leg was fixed at a different level to the lower leg?

Rgds,
Mark

David Gladwin 10-20-2005 07:00 PM

RE: Airworld Hawk Building thread

The Hysol dried overnight and the flaps and ailerons are now finished, everything has worked ourt perfectly inc. the center hinged ailerons.

The rivet detail on the intake is almost untouched, the joint is at a point where there are very few rivets. Hysol is not the answer for replacing the few filled rivets, they are flush rivets so a sharp brass tube will do it.

The speedbrake should not be used on the ground, I believe the real Hawk has an interlock to prevent such use. (any Hawk QFIs out there? )

I will try and arrange a mixer so that selecting gear "down" automatically retracts the speedbrake.

All 9 gear doors are flush when the gear is up.

About 30-40 hours to date.

Next is intake trunking and hingeing gear doors.

Nice lady from BAe just emailed me with details of a new book:

Red Arrows from Dalton Fine books ISBN: 1-85443-217-6

and it looks likely that Traplet may release a CD of my Red Arrows photo shoot with 100 close up pix of a Red Hawk.

Its raining again, so back to it !

Regards,

David Gladwin.

David Gladwin 10-21-2005 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Intakes are in. I started by trying to trim the ducts to fit inside the lip formed by the intake cowls themselves, as on my BVM F4. This was taking a lot of time and very fiddly. Then the penny dropped. I cleaned out the inner edge of the intakes and pushed the ducting forward through them, result: a perfect fit in no time. I then trimmed the flange on the intake ducting for a reasonable fit and it will then be filled.

Pushing the ducts through the lip means that body filler will have to be used to reprofile the intake lips which will make them much "fatter" (a larger radius) which is exactly the way they are on the real Hawk !

That concludes the basic airframe construction, what follows are small jobs like hingeing doors and fitting canopy etc.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Falcon 64 10-21-2005 04:12 AM

To make the intake-duct area thick enough to be worked on, here is the way I prefer to do it:

Once the duct is installed like on the picture, I use to make a rather thin mix of tixotroph and epoxy.
Then I place the fuselage vertical to allow the mix to be poured at place from the inside, to make a strong bond to the fuselage. In narrow places, it might be nessacery to pour the epoxy through a tube to ensure it comes where it`s supposed to be. So the mix can`t be too thick! If it is, you will have a big problem to make it run through the tube...
The big clue here is to make sure the epoxy can`t escape, once it`s placed where it should be.

When happy, I can consentrate on the work to make the inlet smooth and round.
Remember, all the rest of the internal ducting must be assembled temporary before applying the resin.
But I don`t know if this method is nessacery here.. Just a hint to anyone.

Regards

Gudmund

schroedm 10-24-2005 06:16 PM

Hi David,

So, how does it fly? :D:D:D

CJ2002 10-25-2005 01:15 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

The speedbrake should not be used on the ground, I believe the real Hawk has an interlock to prevent such use. (any Hawk QFIs out there? )

Hi David,

I'm not a Hawk QFI but dim memories from a Hawk course at Dunsfold way back in 79 or 80 remind me that the airbrake was disabled when the gear was down...can't be sure if was then or if it was when the weight on wheels switch was actated... common sense says the former because landing with the airbrake out would probably see it ground down! What I can disctinctly remember though is its power in flight...no doubt when the pilot used it!

Cheers,

Dick
England

PS...if you're in the UK on 30 Dec, bring the Hawk to AB!