RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Is anyone at AirPac? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/4900197-anyone-airpac.html)

Chris Smith 10-22-2006 12:48 PM

Is anyone at AirPac?

Since no one at Airpac will answer my email, I assume the website email address is wrong.
I need to know the size of the Skymaster pipe used in the 1/8 F-16.
Is it large enough for an AMT 180?
What is the bellmouth ID, and what is the exit end ID of the pipe?

Seems everyone is mounting smaller engines in the tail, so no one seems to know about the pipe.

Thanks,
Chris

Randy M. 10-22-2006 01:18 PM

RE: Is anyone at AirPac?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4881242/tm.htm
This may have something to do with it.
See ya later

joeflyer 10-22-2006 02:45 PM

Try phoning him.

Stig Andersen 10-23-2006 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith

Since no one at Airpac will answer my email, I assume the website email address is wrong.
I need to know the size of the Skymaster pipe used in the 1/8 F-16.
Is it large enough for an AMT 180?
What is the bellmouth ID, and what is the exit end ID of the pipe?

Seems everyone is mounting smaller engines in the tail, so no one seems to know about the pipe.

Thanks,
Chris
Hello Chris.
I don't know why Airpac is not replying. But I'm sure there is a good reason for it. I have taken some pictures for you.

The internal diameter of the pipe FRONT is approx. 90 mm (About 3½"), but the belmouth is only 85, so there is a gap around the outside of the belmouth and the inside of the pipe.[X(]:eek:
The internal diameter of the pipe EXIT is approx. 80 .. (A little more the 3")
The length is 600 mm (approx. 24")

I cannot tell you if the pipe is large enough for your engine, but I hope this has been of help to you anyway. Have fun with the build.;)

Stig Andersen 10-23-2006 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello again.

Here are som shots from the rear towards the front of the pipe. You can see the belmouth does not fit snug into the pipe. Pretty interesting photo, though.;)

AirPac Models 10-23-2006 01:58 PM

Chris,

I am not sure what the problem, but we are here to help you anytime. The post from Stig is correct

AirPac Models 10-23-2006 02:19 PM

Chris,
I found out why you posted this comment, your e-mail was over looked a few days ago. I have so many e-mails a day, and sometimes e-mails could be over looked. In any case that I do not reply to your e-mail please do not hesitate to send it again, or you could just call our office we would be happy to answer your question. Please check your e-mail I have just sent you an e-mail to reply all of your questions. Once again I do apologize for the late reply, we do try our best to provide the best customer service.

Aero65 10-23-2006 03:01 PM

Hi

Thanks Stig for answering

Sorry Chris I let Eric know that you had a question. I know that People have put the Artest Falcon 22 lbs of thrust using that pipe. Also someone installed a P-80 and had no issues running that setup.

I personally only ran the P-60 in the tail so far and the performance is good to ok.I think the pipe should handle the AT-180 and it should be a rocket!

Some mods that I can suggest for those installing a bigger turbine 16 lbs to 22 lbs thrust.

1. If you need a hopper tank for more fuel the Sullivan Vee type boat tanks fits above the intake Sullivan # S390
2. When installing the rudder servo cut a slot on both sides of the fin for the rudder servo arm, and make a pull pull type of linkage but with push rods.
3. Take some flat hinges such as the Du-Bro #118 or Great Planes # GPMQ3970 and glue them to the root of the aileron hinge line, and the tip of the aileron hinge line. Roughen them up and use Hysol to glue them to the wing on the inside of the hinge area. This is only needed for 16 lbs + thrust turbines.
4. For extra security during high speed flight you can also drill the back of the elevator horns and just through the brass and not then remove the horn and tap the hole to 4-40. Use a 4-40 cap head screw to go through the elevator horn and just through the brass sleeve.

Thanks to our customer Adil for the great hints!

Chris Smith 10-23-2006 05:19 PM

Awesome, I thought I was alone out here for a minute.
Thanks Stig, the pictures are great.

Eric, I know the earthquake may have made things hard on you guys. Thanks for the reply. I'm getting ready to order the combo for the F-16, but I may wait a week or two and save up the extra for the pipe now that I have the info.

Duke, Thanks for the ideas. Myself and the guys I fly with here, are real good with throttle management so I felt the AMT 180 would be ok. I'm going to do the mods you suggest, but I'd prefer to see a photo of the elevator horn mod before I attempt it. Is it possible Adil has photos?

Thanks for the help
Chris