RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Need Info on Repainting Fiberglass Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5069628-need-info-repainting-fiberglass-jet.html)

dag46 12-03-2006 12:06 PM

Need Info on Repainting Fiberglass Jet

Hi, I am refurbishing a Fiberglass F18 Hornet and need to know
the best method for removing old paint without damaging the jet.
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.dag46

Fat Boy 12-03-2006 01:25 PM

RE: Need Info on Repainting Fiberglass Jet

Fiberglass stripper...check your local auto paint supply. Be sure and seal off anywhere you don't want the stripper to go.

dag46 12-03-2006 04:08 PM

Thanks,Do you know if there's a certain brand of paint that's best for jets?

zain 12-05-2006 03:10 AM

just make sure the stripper you use is fibreglass safe.
otherwise sanding is your second option.
You should also try a few marine stores.

zain

Helijack 12-05-2006 07:24 AM

I use Citristrip, avail at Wally World, Ace, etc. None of the strippers available on the open market will truley say fiberglass safe. I have used it more than once without damage to fiberglass.

JoelP 12-05-2006 09:45 AM

Kleanstrip has a product called "Fiberglass Paint Remover" in a blue can. It's available at automotive paint and supply stores. This stuff will not attack the fiberglass if you apply/remove it as per the directions. I stripped a Balsa Bandit this past summer using this product with no problems. Just make sure to wash the stripper off really good with water/soap.

John Casey 12-05-2006 03:49 PM

Have you tried sanding it yet?

Some paints sand off pretty easy...
and makes chancing damaging the fiberglass not worth the risk.

flyexperimental 12-06-2006 08:14 PM

Test stripper on a small area (control surface) first.That way if you have any problems you will have a smaller mess.

smokin-gun 12-07-2006 04:27 PM

i'm doing a bobcat now and used-kleen strip (peeler) in a spray can and it only takes the clear and base coats, does not touch primer. spray on ,wait 5min scrap off w/plastic scraper. paint was ppg -used 4 cans to do a b/cat. avail at most autobody supply shops

le fou 12-12-2006 10:32 PM

Hello,

I am trying to remove some paint on a Byron F16. I bought today "the premium sprayable stripper" from Kleanstrip. Can I use it on my byron or is it going to create problems with the fiberglass?

Thanks,

Le fou

JoelP 12-13-2006 12:17 AM

You have to be careful with general paint strippers sold from Home Depot, etc. Some of them state on the label not to apply to fiberglass. I tried regular Kleanstrip on the bottom of a wing and it lifted the fiberglass/resin when I was taking it off.

le fou 12-13-2006 12:11 PM

Thank you for your reply. I think that I have the wrong product. I am going to return it and try to find the one specific for fiberglass.

Thanks,

Le fou

SPLIT S 12-13-2006 12:28 PM

Be very careful with fiberglass paint strippers. Most are designed not to attack POLYESTER laid up glass, using them on EPOXY laid up glass may make goo out of your F18. If it were me I would just sand it. The jet isn't that large and the amount of paint that should be on it should come off quite easily.

Dan

le fou 12-13-2006 05:59 PM

Hello Dan,

I thought that the F16 from Byron was made of fiberglass and polyester resin? I do not believe that they use epoxy resin on this airplane.

Thanks,

Le fou