RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   backpack fire extinguisher (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5112949-backpack-fire-extinguisher.html)

Roger Shook 12-13-2006 08:15 PM

backpack fire extinguisher

Hey Guys,
I have a heck of a time finding asphalt to fly my jet off of here in the Florence, SC area. But have just obtained permission from the airport manager at an area county airport to fly from the taxi way 2000ft x 30ft. And in the interest of covering the possiblities, want to get one of those backpack type water fire extinguishers I have seen you guys talking about here. Who sells them???
Roger

DavidAgar 12-13-2006 08:45 PM

RE: backpack fire extinguisher

You may want to contact your local Fire Extiquisher Company in town and ask if they have them for sale. Good Luck, Dave

r degen 12-13-2006 08:48 PM

They are called Indian Fire pump. Randy
http://www.edarley.com/edarley4/find...m?itemid=11195

bcovish 12-13-2006 09:32 PM

try www.forestry-suppliers.com click on search and type in "indian water can"

They are 121.50. We have orderd from them a number of times, excellent service.

A10FLYR 12-14-2006 10:01 AM

Check Yer local Harbour Freight.....under $40

definitivecars 03-26-2008 11:48 AM

Do you think you could put gas in these things?

Gordon Mc 03-26-2008 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: definitivecars

Do you think you could put gas in these things?
I hope you mean gas as in "not liquid" (such as CO2) rather than gas as in gasoline... :eek:

ianober 03-26-2008 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

Check Yer local Harbour Freight.....under $40

Part number please??????

A10FLYR 03-26-2008 01:19 PM

Go to the harborfreight website and type in backpack in the search option. There you will find 2 different ones, one manual and one electric....it took me all of 30 seconds to find them. ;)

Ichy 03-26-2008 01:36 PM

I don't know! I would not want to try to put out a fire with that! Maybe the larger one would work but........ I think you'd be pumping like a mad man!

I just bought this one:

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Fire%2CRe...esses/GENFO45#

A10FLYR 03-26-2008 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Ichy

I don't know! I would not want to try to put out a fire with that! Maybe the larger one would work but........ I think you'd be pumping like a mad man!

I just bought this one:

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Fire%2CRe...esses/GENFO45#
At slightly over a gallon a minute it should do as good as the Chief. Pumping like a madman would be no problem!!! ;)

Gary Jefferson 03-27-2008 06:00 AM

I just bought two of these (Indian pumps) for our upcoming jet meet this year from a company called Ben Meadows. They have the poly (plastic) type and are less expensive, if I remember correctly, than the metal type.

A quick search for Indian extinguishers will find Ben Meadows. They had the best price I could find and are available in both 4 & 5 gallon containers. There is also an additive you can buy from Forestry products that is suppose to dramatically increases the ability to extinguish the fire faster.

Gary

ianober 03-27-2008 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

Go to the harborfreight website and type in backpack in the search option. There you will find 2 different ones, one manual and one electric....it took me all of 30 seconds to find them. ;)

Yeah, I don't know about that. Sure over a gallon a minute is hi but the nozzle could mist it out all over. Someone that has one of these please chime in and let me know how the flow rate is and how concentrated you can get it.

CARS II 03-27-2008 01:59 PM

I have see a few crashes resulting with fire and this devise will work in some situations and on the others flip your phone and dial the fire department right away, according to the jet regs we need to have at least a bucket of water standing by at the field when someone is flying a jet at any time.

Ichy 04-14-2008 08:51 AM

Well, we got the "Chief" extingusher and ...... it leaks! Can't have that in the club barn. Will be looking for something else now. All this work for the one person with a jet in our club! It''s worth it! ;) We have sage brush and cheat grass all around us, and no water at the property. We should have sonething, even with out the jet. :D

A10FLYR 04-14-2008 09:57 AM

Well, we got the "Chief" extingusher and ...... it leaks!
:D
You always pay for what you get BUT......you don''t always get what you paid for!

Price does not equate to quality!

vetagator 04-14-2008 10:27 AM

I have one, and as far as it being a back pack? It is very uncomfortable on your back. If you can run a 50 yard dash with it on your back, you deserve to be in the MetRx worlds strongest man competition. I usually keep it in the truck and I just lift the trailer hitch off over the ball just in case I need to haul butt to extinguish a fire. Just my .02. Alex.

Eddie P 04-15-2008 08:27 AM

Well, we got the "Chief" extingusher and ...... it leaks! Can''t have that in the club barn. Will be looking for something else now. All this work for the one person with a jet in our club! It''''s worth it! ;) We have sage brush and cheat grass all around us, and no water at the property. We should have sonething, even with out the jet. :D

Hey man, you aren't talking about ME, now, are you ;) Besides, there are TWO of us turbine heads at the field!

I also have my own extinguishers, too. But - with the number of Gas engine flyers at the field, it's a darn good idea to have the club water extinguisher even if my rice burner wasn't on scene. I think it's a great move to have it BTW for anyone flying gasoline or turbine.

Ray Davis 04-15-2008 09:15 AM

Alex is right.....any distance w/ that thing (5-gal metal Indian) on your back and you''ll have nothing left for pumping! Otherwise they are good units, will last ten years before rusting out/perforating. Just hope the crash site is close.

''Drench", I believe is the name of the retardant added to the water....a few capfuls and it does very significantly improve the effectivneness. I hadda buy a quart...enough for ten lifetimes.

Ray

Vincent 04-15-2008 10:38 AM

BTW...A shovel is worth its weight in gold fighting a small brush fire.
V..