RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Olympus fit in large UltraBandit Bypass (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5210202-olympus-fit-large-ultrabandit-bypass.html)

Tom Antlfinger 01-04-2007 05:05 PM

Olympus fit in large UltraBandit Bypass

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of guys were interested in the fit of various large turbines in the UB bypass.....here is my auto airstart Oly as mounted.....there is a good 1/4"-5/16" clearance around the turbine and the end of the tailcone is 25mm from the pipe inlet.....this is the recommended distance suggested in Bennie's manual for the Oly.....

I also replaced all the #2 SHSMS shipped with the kit with 4-40 bolts, either tapped into 3mm C/F plate and/or locking nuts......I think the weight of any of the big engines justifies this change.....

Tom Antlfinger 01-04-2007 05:09 PM

RE: Olympus fit in large UltraBandit Bypass

1 Attachment(s)
A few more photos.....the mount for the temp probe is mounted on the BVM left hand mounting ear....

Tom Antlfinger 01-04-2007 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To get at the bypass mounting bolts with the 4-40 modifications, it helps to weld up an extended 3/32" Allen wrench...

Fortune7 01-04-2007 05:59 PM

Wow, Tom, your workshop looks very nice!

Cheers, Andy

mick15 01-04-2007 05:59 PM

Tom, I didn't feel the crude straps across the cast aly mounts were anything like sufficient, I could not stop the engine shifting around even when tight.

I will take some pics to explain how I did mine if you wish.

m

Tom Antlfinger 01-04-2007 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Andy and Happy New Year to you......hope to see you at FJ 2007.......

Mick: I would appreciate any photos you might have......actually, using the stainless shims under the straps makes for a very tight grip on the Oly.....no wiggles around the ears......As you can see, I did add some 1/4" hard plywood and 3mm C/F plate with Aeropoxy to the integral ears on the bypass like I have done on my Bandits, otherwise they are a bit flimsy......

I have the Pegasus HPNL mounted on my Kingcat just using the BVM straps as well.....have pounded it hard with snaps and pullups for nearly 200 flights and it hasn't moved a mm.......

The only sorting left now is how to get some sort of a FOD screen mounted without blocking the airflow......not sure that can be done as the Oly or P-200 suck such a large mass flow of air that the ususal screen used on a KJ-66 won't work, and getting anything with more surface area like LugeBob has on his P-200 is impossible.....

I also beefed things up a bit by inserting 1/2" maple plugs into that thin C/F plate that the bypass mount attaches to and tapping for 4/40 hard bolts.....using the method suggested in the manual, you only have a couple of threads in the wing carrythru to hold the turbine in during a flick or other violent maneuver.....I also used C/F bolsters on the mounting plate you can see on the previous photos....they are not black as I painted the mount.....I also put in some C/F plate to hold the forward tailpipe/aft bypass holder(that odd shaped thing) in place rather than just using the #2 SHSMS......

All now appears quite solid from inlet union to the end of the pipe......

Tom