RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   I hate rivets!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/543422-i-hate-rivets.html)

Kevin_W 02-09-2003 02:17 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

I really do like the size of my 86" Aeromacchi, but I never thought that it would require so many sheets of rivets to cover the darned thing!! 7-1/2 sheets of rivets and 2 sheets of screws, and I still don't have enough to finish this stupid airplane!!!!!
I have finally resigned to the fact that it is going to have to remain rivet-less on the bottom if I am going to have it ready for Florida Jets. The good news is that I can shoot clear on it tomorrow, it will be ready to fly in Bunnell, and I can finally forget about rubbing those endless lines of little dots onto this monster! One more sheet of rivets and I will go cross-eyed!!! :D

I'll post pics next week after the clear is on it.

DavidR 02-09-2003 02:59 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

I'm right there with you bro!! at least 14 sheets of screws and rivets on the F-4 and still counting. I just love scale!

DR

patf 02-09-2003 03:04 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

Caudle loves them rivets too!

bcovish 02-09-2003 04:20 AM

rivets

Ok guys, quit your *****in' and get back to rubbin' :D . I'm the last one who should be talkin', my Bob Cat won't be ready :( . So let me have it. But I'll be there. Leaving this coming Wed. Going to visit my dad first.

Kevin, talked to Dan today and he has room in his trailer if you need get to something to FJ.

G Watson 02-09-2003 04:27 AM

Rivets

You think that you hate rivets. Try buildig a full scale RV-4.

15,000 rivets that must be drilled, deburred, countersunk, and bucked. Phew, it is almost done --- someday !!! Then comes the Lycoming and avionics.

Kevin_W 02-09-2003 05:37 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

15,000 rivets that must be drilled, deburred, countersunk, and bucked.
NO THANK YOU!!!

I am done ! Well actually I just ran out of rivets, the bottom of the wings are definately going to have to remain naked for now.
Let the beer drinking commence, the clear goes on tomorrow. :D

I-NAV 02-09-2003 08:04 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

You'll go blind doing that..

G Watson 02-09-2003 04:24 PM

Rivets

Many times I have thought about throwing in the towel on the RV-4.

But I guess that I will finish it. Too much time invested to stop now !!

hornet driver 02-10-2003 06:01 AM

rivets

kevin

you need rivets.........call don yockey when you need rivets.........he put 55,926 of them on my large f-86........he put them top , bottom and in the inside of the gear doors

c u in fla

gregg

G Watson 02-10-2003 04:45 PM

rivets

Thanks for the advise. Is that a full size F-86. Can't imagine that a model could use that many.

Kevin_W 02-11-2003 05:19 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

you need rivets.........call don yockey when you need rivets.........he put 55,926 of them on my large f-86
:eek: :eek:
After reading this I decided to do a little cypherin and figure out how many rivets I have put on the Macchi (something to do while the paint drys you know ;) )

I count about 20,519 give or take a few. So I guess Mr. Yockey is still the the rivet Master, a title I am more than happy to allow him to keep. :D

I'll try to post some pics of the Macchi tomorrow evening.

hornet driver 02-11-2003 05:36 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

just think kevin.................when your fingers heal you will be able to do the underside of her

c u in fla

gregg

G Watson 02-11-2003 05:56 AM

Rivets

F-86 and Machhi --- are you guys talking models or full scale.

I am amazed that the models could require that many rivets..

Is it possible ????

DavidR 02-11-2003 03:49 PM

I hate rivets!!!!

are you guys talking models or full scale.

Not to be a smart ass but......we are in a MODEL forum here! These are not real rivets. Are you a modeller???

Gordon Mc 02-11-2003 03:52 PM

Re: Rivets

Originally posted by G Watson

I am amazed that the models could require that many rivets..

If it's truly an accurate scale model, then the model will have exactly the same number of (exposed) rivets as the full-scale aircraft. If, on the other hand, you are only trying to give the "impression" of realism, you can get away with a lot less rivets.

Gordon

Kevin_W 02-11-2003 04:53 PM

I hate rivets!!!!

Not to be a smart ass but......
David, from my perspective you have failed in your endevour. ;)

These are definately model, the rivets we are talking about are rub on graphics that closely simulate (if applied properly) the look of riveted surfaces. Each sheet of rivets contains approximately 2,744 rivets and I used a little over 7 1/2 sheets on the Macchi ( I went for the "impression" rather than "exact" scale :D ).

G Watson 02-11-2003 05:18 PM

Rivets

DavidR -- glad you cleared up the issue of not being an "ASS".

Yes, I am in the right forum. I am currently building a full size
RV-4, but I have been a modeler since I was kid, and that is longer than I want to think about. From control line up to 1/4 scale. I have downsized to the smaller planes now so that I can put most of my time into the RV-4.

To me, airplanes of all sizes go together. How do you think that a prototype is first evaluated ? Don't you think that we can all learn something, whether it be from a model or the full scale ship.

I am amazed at the quality of work that goes into the scale models. You have to love it to put in that much effort. My hat is off to you guys.

Kevin -- thanks for answering my question about the rivets in a mature way.

Kevin_W 02-12-2003 03:32 AM

Pics finally

1 Attachment(s)
Rivets, rivets, and more rivets!!!

Kevin_W 02-12-2003 03:33 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Pro Mark did a great job on the graphics!

Kevin_W 02-12-2003 03:35 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
More graphics

Kevin_W 02-12-2003 03:37 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I had to move some furniture around in the living room to be able to put it together, but here is a full side view

Kevin_W 02-12-2003 03:38 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Top view

Kevin_W 02-12-2003 03:39 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Another one

Kevin_W 02-12-2003 03:40 AM

I hate rivets!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Last one