RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Super BANDIT (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/55048-super-bandit.html)

Shui 02-15-2002 09:05 PM

Super BANDIT

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, I finally signed on to rcuniverse!

Also, the new BVM Super BANDIT is posted on www.bvmjets.com for those interested. It's gonna be an awesome airframe! Can't wait to get my thumbs on it!!

See you all at Florida Jets!!!!!

Best regards,
Dave Shulman
www.bvmjets.com

lov2flyrc 02-15-2002 09:30 PM

Super BANDIT

Welcome Dave!
Nice to see you found us, the new Bandit looks great! Cant wait to see it in person....

See ya at FJ

Todd Witkoff

Vincent 02-15-2002 10:18 PM

Super Bandit

Hi David,

You may want to send one of the "Super Bandits" to Matt Caroll for testing!!! He can lay his hands on a P-160 and REALLY test it.

Vin...

DavidR 02-15-2002 10:23 PM

Super BANDIT

David,

You guys are killing me!!!!!! Sign me up!!!

David Reid

Brian B 02-16-2002 12:43 PM

Super Bandit

Nice looking plane. My first impression was that, except for the fin, it looks kind of like an Isobar! And I like Isobars, so this is a good thing.

mr_matt 02-16-2002 03:51 PM

Hey David

I liek the composite wings with the BobCat gear, that old gear needs to go in a museum (no offense inteneded)

What's up wiht the new NOSE gear though....any pics? Will you guys have one at florida jets?

Matt

PS how much fuel will it hold, does it still use 3 tanks?

EddieWeeks 02-17-2002 04:30 AM

Super BANDIT

removed

Gordon Mc 02-19-2002 05:18 AM

Super Bandit

Okay - supposedly my buddy & I got our names on kits number 6 and 7 ... so what I wanna know is just who it is that got ahead of me !!!! ;-)

Regs,
Gordon

tamjets 02-19-2002 06:21 AM

Me Gordon

If I sold few of my turbine conversion at Fl jets.
I'll try to black mail Bob letting me get his proto type. :D
Balsa kit is on my mind right now.
Tam

1Eye 02-19-2002 09:13 PM

"old" Bandit gear?

Matt posted ...
I liek the composite wings with the BobCat gear, that old gear needs to go in a museum (no offense inteneded)
>>>

Matt, what was wrong with the old gear and/or how could it be improved?

Mike

TonyF 02-19-2002 10:56 PM

Super BANDIT

There's nothing wrong with the "old" gear, but it is a little more work to install with the separate actuating cylinders. I am referring to the all metal main gear which is now standard with the "old"Bandit. The older plastic main gear was a little weak.

I've got nearly 200 flights on my museum pieces with no failures.

mr_matt 02-19-2002 11:50 PM

old gear

those old gear were originally all molded out of the same long fiber material that the servo trays, etc are molded out of.

They were designed for the original sport shark I think, maybe 1986 or so? Anyway, a 9.5 pound plane.

Over the years he has replaced pieces one by one with the same part except cast in aluminum. After one piece was strengthened the next one breaks, it is to the point now that the whole main can be assembled from aluminum. First it was the outer arm, then the inner arm, then the trunion and finally the frame itself. all changed to aluminum one by one

But what do I know....

TonyF 02-20-2002 12:20 AM

Super BANDIT

And now the whole main is made out of aluminum. It doesn't break. Admittedly, as I said in my previous post, the plastic ones did.

Mike, to really answer your question, if you have plastic main gear, if you drop it in on landing, or run off into some rough stuff, they will break. If you have metal main gear, don't worry about them. The flex plates will break long before the mechanism will.

I do hope the new nose is a drop-in replacement for the current nose gear, cuz the plastic nose gears will break if you hit hard. Early on with my Bandit I had a bad landing and broke the frame of the nose gear. Those things are a pain to replace.

mr_matt 02-20-2002 12:43 AM

Nose Gear

I too hope the nose gear drops in, I have been thinking about one of the rhom jet gear but they never seem to be in business, maybe they are now?

garrett_mcdonal 02-20-2002 12:48 AM

Super BANDIT

Has anyone checked whether the Trim rotating nose gear will drop in? They are an all alloy unit and work nicely.

If no ones has tried before, I'll pull out my Bandit kit this weekend and have a look at the 2 retract units side by side and check the dimensions. At a glance, it should be close to the right size.

Garrett

TonyF 02-20-2002 12:59 AM

Super BANDIT

I almost put a Rhom I had from my Sabre into the Bandit, but I think the angles are different. The Sabre nose gear rakes forward more. Plus I was saving it for another Sabre. Of course, if you put a metal nose gear in, you better use the aluminum flex arms. I think they're probably mandatory on a Bandit. My original plastic arms lasted till flight 10. Now that I know how to land the thing consistently, I might get away with the plastic ones, that is until the next "head up and locked" landing.