RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Crash today at Florida Jets. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5510245-crash-today-florida-jets.html)

David2004 03-04-2007 07:25 PM

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Today a pilot took off and crashed into the flightline seriously injuring a pilot who had to be rushed to the hospital via ambulance with leg injuries. Interestingly enough, besides the pilot of the Snow Birds Tudor being more interested in checking out the damage to his aircraft and not bothering to check the condition of the pilot he had just hit, his ability to hold a turbine waiver has been questioned in the past due to his constant crashing but nothing was done about it.

When do we stop being nice guys and do what needs to be done before someone gets killed?

Here is the thread from his last crash.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4781560

Airforce7 03-04-2007 08:01 PM

RE: Crash today at Florida Jets.

I hope that person is ok that got hit by the jet. This is pretty serious and if what you say is true then he at least needs to go through the waiver test again and somebody needs to check his installation out at a minimum. Was anybody at the show responsible for inspecting the jets? I know this is a touchy subject. I went through one at a jet rally once and was kind of upset about it, but the guy who inspected my jet I latter found out was a really good pilot and was flying a 30k jet that day. He also won awards for his stuff too in the past. Its hard to say what you'll do if it happens to you, but I think I would for sure check on the person first and make sure others are there to help and call for help, next would be to ensure the jet can't hurt anybody else (e.g. fire).

Ken

grbaker 03-04-2007 08:09 PM

Anyone know who got hurt? My hope and prayer is that he will be OK.

col_tomb 03-04-2007 08:29 PM

SHOULD BAN JET!

Gordon Mc 03-04-2007 08:47 PM

Man, that sucks !

When I first read about the pilot of a Tudor who crashes quite a lot, I thought you meant someone else ... but based on the thread you pointed to, this is someone who multiple high profile turbine pilots have contacted the AMA about in the past, asking for the AMA to intervene regarding his waiver.

Hope the guy who got hit is not in too bad shape. Anyone know who it is ?

Gordon

GSR 03-04-2007 08:50 PM

just remember-it would have been worse had there been a scimitar shaped carbon fiber spinning thingy on the nose. Scott

Billy 03-04-2007 08:53 PM

You would think the AMA might look into this guys ability to fly. I have heard about his build jobs not being up to par. Accident whating to happen, oh wait, it already did.

I hope the guy who got hit will be OK.

Shok 03-04-2007 08:55 PM

isnt the tudor in question a huge one?

i dont think it would take much to seriously injure someone with a plane that size

avicom 03-04-2007 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: col_tomb

SHOULD BAN JET!

Ok, should ban everthing! Remember the guy that was killed in Europe by a Prop RC plane, and the guy who almost lost his face due to an heli blade, and the kid that died in Puerto Rico lake hit by an rc boat. An accident is an accident. Why you think it have that name. Come on just think and act safe. My prayers to the guy that was hit.

RGS

Ram-bro 03-04-2007 09:09 PM

this should be good.......

luckyb001 03-04-2007 09:39 PM

A couple of things about the crash today. I understand the person that was hit is OK suffering a laceration to his leg and requiring 9 stitches. Thank god he was not seriously injured. The pilot who was flying the plane is a friend and claims he had a wheel lock up on the take off roll causing the plane to go out of control. I have been in the Fire/Rescue service for 19 years and I can tell you that everyone handels stressful situations differently. One person will panic at the sight of blood while another will keep a cool head. I know the pilot would not put his plane in front of a fellow modeler's safety, I believe that his reaction today to this accident was not typical but a panic reaction to a very stressful event. I wish the injured man a quick recovery and some forgiving on all involved. Mike[&o]

col_tomb 03-04-2007 09:52 PM

Hey RGS...
You should look at my Hangar.....:D. Common
TOOVAN

Skymac 03-04-2007 10:09 PM

Man, it doesn't matter what sport or hobby you take part in. I wish the guy a speedy recovery but I think all David04 is trying to do is stir a pot coming off in a very negative manor, bashing a fellow pilot.

Iceman8 03-04-2007 11:32 PM

Ok all of you Brainiacs out there who just cant wait to stir up s@#t!!! Read the definition according to Webster:

ACCIDENT: an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally ,
any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

I'm sure the pilot tried everything possible to avoid this from occurring. It was an ACCIDENT. I wish the guy that was injured a speedy recovery.

Doc

afterburner 03-04-2007 11:55 PM

Although I didn't see the person who got injured, I did see the plane veer off course into the pits. It only went a few feet before it turned sharply through the fence. He was just starting a taxi when this happened. It was not on a takeoff roll. A wheel locking up seems to be the culprit.

Marty

CARBUNCLE 03-05-2007 12:02 AM

I'll bet there are idiots that saw this thread , weren't even there, and are turning him in to the ama and jpo-lice already.[sm=stupid.gif]

RBardin 03-05-2007 12:46 AM

Man, it doesn't matter what sport or hobby you take part in. I wish the guy a speedy recovery but I think all David04 is trying to do is stir a pot coming off in a very negative manor, bashing a fellow pilot.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, JUSTIN!

David2004 is a troll! I stated so in the same thread he linked with pointers directly to my post there. That old thread has also been hugely edited with nearly 2 pages missing - maybe more. Go do a RCU search to see all his posts - you'll see for yourselves...

Hey David2004, what is your name? Were you there? Do you even fly jets? No one named David holds a turbine waiver in the state you purport to be from...Look on the list of turbine waiver holders, and interestingly, there is no "David" from the state you purport to be from.

You have posted lies about this incident. First of all,the person who was hurt was working the flightline. He had a leg laceration, which was field dressed within 2-3 minutes by a cameraman who also was, I was told, an EMT. He rode off the field in a golf cart, and was driven to the hospital to get stitched up by another event worker. I was 20 feet behind him when it happened - where were you standing?

This was not a life-threatening incident whereby ambulances were called in (at all - there were NO ambulances at all) as you have depicted. The person who was hit was not "seriously injured", either.

It's obvious you have some beef with jets and everyone who flies them. Do us all a favor - dry up and blow away, TROLLBOY!

[:'(][:'(][:'(]

RBardin 03-05-2007 12:48 AM

lets see if this one "sticks" - I hear that quotes cannot be nuked....we'll see...

WHO TOLD YOU THAT

ch 03-05-2007 01:06 AM

Yes it was a sad accident. But I think this could be avoided. The setup for this event it’s all wrong. Spectators are to close of the runway, pilot's line are in the runway and this runway it's not wide at all. The day before that happened I almost got my head off by a moron flying a bobcat too low over the pilot line (2 times). Another guy land his airplane into the fligh line . This fly line is right there on the side of the runway and a fragile safety net it’s the only thing between the airplanes taken of and landing and the pilots. I don't know about a locked wheel or a take off roll but with a strong cross wind blowing to the flight line it was just an accident waiting to happen for anybody standing so close to the active runway...

David Gladwin 03-05-2007 03:37 AM

I wasn't there but one can deduce from previous posts (presuming they are accurate and the post by Gordon Mc says it all) ) who was involved (narrowed down to two or three) and THAT comes as NO surprise.

Yes, of course accidents occur, but when they keep happening to the same individuals just what is happening to the alarm bells and what is anyone doing about it , probably nothing, just carrying on in the same old way until the big one happens, just a matter of time. Just how many warnings ARE needed before someone or some organisation grasps the nettle and actually has the balls to take some positive action .

Tomorrow we bury a young friend, our Pilates teacher, killed in his prime (35 years) in a traffic accident. An "accident" but probably avoidable. Last week I was ridge and wave soaring in the New Zealand Alps. When I landed I was informed that there had been a fatal accident (decapitation) at a site I glide at (Lake Keepit, NSW, Australia) in circumstances I had been faced with three years ago in a weather enforced outlanding, it brings it all home.

Yes s..t happens but I have spoken up on safety matters on many occasions and had many kicks in the guts for my troubles, almost entirely from individuals who had not got a clue what they were talking about.

Perhaps after such sad news as I have just had and a couple of glasses of wine to deaden the blow it is not a good time to speak publicly but to repeat what I have said in the past, on many occasions, wake up jet fliers, get wise, get real, and start taking safety as seriously as we do in real aviation, we may have had our very last warning, a fatal accident could finish our hobby and my bet is that if it DOES occur it will probably be shown to have been avoidable.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

PS Is there ANY form of scruitineering at FJ, at least a verification of the correct functioning of failsafe operation and basic airworthiness and pilot competence. ?

Flyjets 03-05-2007 06:38 AM

Hi Guy's

I hope that the injured Pilot makes a complete recovery and his family and friends continue to support him.

There is always a danger when a Flightline is close to a Runway perhaps there might be a better setup.

If one looks over the Crasher Videos by SKS over the years U can see numerous accidents on Take Off.

Typical not enough speed on Rotation and the old Stall and Snap accident occurs.

Again my best wishes to the injured RC Pilot.

Ian

jonkoppisch 03-05-2007 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: luckyb001
snip...The pilot who was flying the plane is a friend and claims he had a wheel lock up on the take off roll causing the plane to go out of control...snip
Mike[&o]

ORIGINAL: afterburner
snip..He was just starting a taxi when this happened. It was not on a takeoff roll... snip
Marty
Which one was it? That could probably be one of the worst things to happen on a takeoff roll. If it was on the taxi though that would seem to be pilot error (going way to fast?).

If the same person has had questionable events happen at the same event, I would think that they'd be banned from flying at that event at the least, then the information submitted to the ama waiver dept.

warbird_1 03-05-2007 07:52 AM

you guys find anything to fight about. you all sound like the old ladies club "stitch and bitcch." so a person got hurt. i hope he's all right. i was at top gun a few years ago and saw a horrible accident. a guy was run down by a b-17 with 4 g-23's chewing up his legs. the pilot clearly was at fault. he slammed the plane down hard,causing the gear mouths to break which caused the plane to vear towards the pits . 4 other guys managed to get out of the way. that resulted i at least one stuka going down. no one ran out there pointing the finger. stuff happeneds. on a personal note . at fl. jets last year i had at least 3 close calls while on the fight line. i have video to prove it.

Mi-25 03-05-2007 08:13 AM

Hi All,
From a safety point of view, there should be more control of the flying - period - possible better checking of models by the organisers. Especially now that there is such an increase in jet activity worldwide.
A knee-jerk reaction to anything going wrong is not a solution to solve or tackle any problem.
For anyone to shout "ban jets" is really bad and certainly not well thought through!

I feel sorry for the guy that got hit, and hope his leg heals quickly!

We all have to face it but it must be taken in context! More people get injured doing the things we do every day - like DRIVING a car??? - or crossing the road? - or getting mugged - get REAL!!!

So, come on all those that cry 'foul'! If you don't like jets, simply - don't go to the flying field!! - it's easy!! - Stop whinging!

Jet Doctor 03-05-2007 08:59 AM

Hi Guys

I am surprised that we seem to be missing the point here? The post might start off as a slander/personal attack but surely we should ask the CD to post something and tell us the real story. We(Jet Jocks) would like to learn how to prevent or minimise the affects of an "accident" like this one. In one of the posts someone claims "I almost got my head off by a moron flying a bobcat too low over the pilot line (2 times)". I would have a serious problem if this person was not grounded by the CD!

Been many miles away, I cannot presume anything but from other posts it seems as if crosswinds were bad. I know that many of the pilots travelled many miles to get there and would want to fly, "come hell or high water". This is fine if it can be done without endangering other people.

We here in South Africa, are battling the same fight about airworthiness and aircraft signoff's for turbine models. We have a "turbine competency" check but it is not mandatory because we have not yet been able to get our AMA - SAAMA - to make it mandatory to belong to the South African Model Jet Association, a special interest group for model jets within SAAMA. We would obviously like it to be enforced as the American's have.

My 2 cents worth

Regards

Zane