RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Best Radio for Jets? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/57962-best-radio-jets.html)

sharkbite 02-19-2002 10:14 PM

Best Radio for Jets?

I am wondering if my old Hitec 6channel is adequate for jet flight or if there is a more desireable setup and brand suited more to Jet flight. Anyone have opinion on the best bang for the buck?

I have looked at the Eclipse 7 and JR 652, but I have read a few posts on Futaba. Any recommendations?

Minimum channels, servo characteristics, etc?

bkf 02-19-2002 11:23 PM

Best Radio for Jets?

Radios are like woman: Come it all shapes and sizes. But a jet will need (depending on which) need channels. I wish I had 9+ but I have 8. Most name brands will do. Think of what you want to control. Here is my list.
#1 R aileron
#2 L aileron
#3 throttle
#4 rudder
#5 speed brake
#6 brakes
#7 gear
#8 spare
#9 battery
#10 dsc / volt meter

jcw111 02-20-2002 12:42 AM

Best Radio for Jets?

What do you intend to fly ?? Ducted Fan or Turbine?

DF will require fewer channels and you could get by with the low end radios. If you are into turbines a min of 8 channels. Preferably 9 or 10 if you intend to go all out as most guys do.

Jim Whitney

GeorgeR 02-20-2002 12:50 AM

Best Radio for Jets?

Hi All,

bkf is a hell of a pilot, he doesn't even need the elevator!!!
Just kidding, couldn't resist.

My thought is the more complicated the jet, the more channels you end up needing. I fly my Bobcat/RAM 500 using a Futaba 8 channel PPM radio.

1- ailerons via y harness
2- elevator via y harness
3- throttle
4- rudders via y harness
5- retracts
7- wheel brakes

As you can see I still have two channels, 6 & 8 left over. More complex jets require the use of speed brakes and flaps.

George R.

bkf 02-20-2002 01:08 AM

Best Radio for Jets?

Aaaaahhh: George: A Roo does not have them. It's like a big Zagi that goes 200. :rolleyes:

TonyF 02-20-2002 01:16 AM

Best

I think the best radio would be a Heathkit. I've been searching Ebay for a NIB, unbuilt Heathkit GD-19. You know, the ones with the red plastic gimbals. Anybody know where I can get one? If I can't find one of those, second choice would be a NIB World Engines Blue Max MkII semi-kit. Somebody's got to have one of those lying around! I lost my ebay bid for the old Logictrol system that was up there, but I didn't really want that one anyway. It was already built and I really want to build it myself. I've got a roll of acid-core solder and my 100 watt iron is just screaming to work on some circuit boards.

C'mon guys, search the closets! Somebody must have my dream radio.

just kidding

jcw111 02-20-2002 01:35 AM

Best Radio for Jets?

Tony

Love it !!! Why not step up a notch and buy my Space Control
Propo. Looks like new. The only radio guaranteed not to work right out of the box.

Jim Whitney

TonyF 02-20-2002 01:43 AM

Can't fly silly stick

Jim, you know that all good radios have two sticks. I could never fly that single stick on your Space Control. You wouldn't have a Micro Avionics, would you? If I had to buy a radio that was already built, that would be the one!

mr_matt 02-20-2002 02:09 AM

Like Jim said...

....it depends on what you are doing (number of channels that is)

I have a Futaba 9 channel, with 11 functions on a Phantom (not all are independantly controllable, but you make do!!)

1 - Aileron – Y harness
2 - Stabilator – Y harness 2 ganged 8411 (soon to be single Volz 300 ounce-in servo)
3 - Throttle, Nose Strut Extension – Y harness, one side to ECU the other side to Jetronic air valve
4 – Rudder, Nose gear steering– Matchbox
5 – Flaps – Y harness
6 – JetCAT Turbine Cruise Control
7 – Brake Parachute/Centerline Drop Tank – Matchbox (or Y harness)
8 – Wheel Brakes
9 - Retracts

I hope this works...

TonyF 02-20-2002 02:26 AM

Best Radio for Jets?

Looks like you could use two more Matchboxes, one for the ailerons and one for the flaps. Sure would help in getting the throws equal.

I'd make sure you put a weak link in the brake parachute. I wonder how a Phantom would fly with a parachute trailing out the back? You could use flight modes so that the tank will only drop when the gears up, and the chute will only come out when the gears down. Maybe you've already planned on that. But a breakaway link might be a good safety measure.

At what point on the throttle stick will you have the nose gear strut extend? Full stick or some partial?

mr_matt 02-20-2002 02:32 AM

interlock

yes the match box should help with the flaps, maybe I will get lucky. I am trying to not let the money run away on this project, but it is a loosing battle, I think the decals alone will push 400 bucks :-(

Yes the chute and the tank drop are interlocked to the gear, and BV recommends a 40 (or something like that) pound test fishing line as a safety on the chute. I have a friend that told me he saw Tom Cook loose an F-4 with a chute that hung on, not sure if that is an urban legend or not.

FWIW as far as I can tell the matchboxes are 1024 on all channels (have not had it on a scope to be sure), and I agree very easy to set up. Should be a winner in the market

PS nose strut will extend at like 1/4 throttle, or whatever setting I release brakes at. That strut is neat but I do not think very durable, I am anxious to see someone that has got some flights on one

Jackjet 02-20-2002 02:49 AM

Attn.MR-Matt

Mr-Matt,
please send me a E-mail

thanks,Jackjet

[email protected]

Jackjet 02-20-2002 02:56 AM

In flight parachute deployment......

Tony,
I deployed my chute by mistake on the F-4-at around 120mph-let me tell you that it slowed down REAL fast to around 50mph-and then the line broke-I used to see F-4s flying at El Toro 25yrs ago with the 'chutes deployed sometimes-but then again they have around 36,000lbs of thrust to overcome the drag................

Jackjet

Pegasus 02-20-2002 04:00 AM

Best Radio for Jets?

Ah,,,,,,, you guys make me feel old, I was going to use my EK Logictroll

Silver182 02-20-2002 04:11 AM

Orbit 7-14

Remember the Orbit 7-14, shoot when you were within 10 feet of your airplane you'd better have your finger wraped around the base of the Transmitter antenna cause if you didn't the receiver would swamp and the aircraft would go wild-------- ah those were the days ---------

EddieWeeks 02-20-2002 06:02 AM

Best Radio for Jets?

1 Attachment(s)
With this IPD receiver you can have more
things moving on you plane, than you can keep
track of.

It has 12 plugs for 12 channels
3 battery plugs with diode built in for duel switch/batt
1 DSC plug

Eddie Weeks
http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/

Madman 02-20-2002 12:19 PM

Best Radio for Jets?

Sharkbite

Obviously there are a lot of 'senior' moments happening here. I am building a Skyburner 60 balsa sport jet as my first ducted fan. I will be using 4 channels.

Aileron (2 servos Y harnessed together)
Elevator
rudder/steering
Throttle

I cannot afford retracts. I also have an inflight mixture control so that is channel 5 but you don't HAVE to have one to have fun. Six channels in a basic DF plane would allow you to add either flaps or retracts to my set up. There are many planes which will accept this set up. Don't worry about high end radios for now. Just get out and fly!

Stephen

ps I have 8 channels available as well.

pps I still have my second radio. A Cox Sanwa 2 channel from '74 complete with instructions and sales receipt!

Woketman 02-20-2002 01:07 PM

Best Radio for Jets?

1973 Kraft Sport Series. Might not be too cool now, but when I was 14 years old in '73, it was the best thing I'd EVER seen cause it was mine!