RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Radio Receiver Battery configuration on your latest or favorite Jet. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5829106-radio-receiver-battery-configuration-your-latest-favorite-jet.html)

Chris Smith 05-08-2007 07:06 PM

Radio Receiver Battery configuration on your latest or favorite Jet.

Thanks for answering. If you have a configuration not listed, tell us. I didn't have space to address regulators, but they could be key too.

Obviously there is no way we could cover all possibilities with so many ideas and products on the market. The type of battery NICD, NIMH, Duralite etc.
could be for another thread or poll.

Please add your comments to the thread if you can, as to why you chose your configuration. I'm sure some of us could benefit from the information. I can't imagine jet guys
chose their latest or favorite jet's battery configuration by accident, or just 'cuz.

Jet flyers are predominantly experienced R/C modelers. This could be instructive, if not interesting. Wouldn't it be interesting if one configuration ended up dominating the
results? Maybe most guys already know what I don't. If that's the case, I'll have to return to jet set-up school 'cause I missed that block of instruction.

Thanks,

Chris

seanreit 05-08-2007 07:19 PM

RE: Please choose the Radio Receiver Battery configuration you used on your latest or favorite Jet.

The best I've seen is smart-fly.com

Although 5 of my jets are single li ion battery through one switch through one regulator to the receiver. In a thousand flights, I've never had a power issue.

My lightning is smart-fly, two batteries power bus.

I've built nearly 20 jets with single power supply receiver, single power ECU.

Gordon Mc 05-08-2007 07:20 PM

RE: Please choose the Radio Receiver Battery configuration you used on your latest or favorite Jet.

Dual 5-cell (not 6V !) packs through independant switches, to 5.7 or 6v regulators, to receiver.

Regulators used due to past problems in which servos were burned out without them.

Chris Smith 05-08-2007 07:23 PM

Sean,
Was the size of the Lightning a factor in the Smart-fly choice?

seanreit 05-08-2007 07:42 PM

RE: Radio Receiver Battery configuration on your latest or favorite Jet.

Yes, the size mattered but not in the traditional sense. There was more room in the lightning to try this device out, and I had always wanted to use one. I don't know whether this jet needs one or not, although the instructions call for the duralite version powerbox. So, I don't really know. Seemed like cheap insurance and trying to get a lightning to run on a DX7 with only seven channels, I was going to need some matchbox's and the smart fly has matchbox built into every channel. That's pretty nice.

volkan 05-08-2007 07:53 PM

No option for Weatronic!!!???:D Does it all in one, and the easiest system I have ever used!

Randy M. 05-08-2007 07:54 PM

One 4 cell nicad through one switch to rx. 1500 flights or so, lost count a long time ago. Actually, it's the same battery for about 4 years now.

Chris Smith 05-08-2007 08:06 PM

Since we are addressing mostly batteries, there was not enough room to add receiver configuration. I would say the Weatronics fits the power bus type circuit choice

Randy, you can't choose a much simpler setup. Your single battery doesn't have time to screw up, it's always in the air working:D

fw190pilot 05-08-2007 08:15 PM

In the process of finishing my jetmach and going to use two four cell nimhs and two indepentant switches straight to rx.

jclittle 05-08-2007 08:26 PM

Fromco Li-ion 4800 pack into a Fromco adjustable regulator - 1 switch - into Rx. 3 Jets, same set up, no problems.

1Eye 05-08-2007 09:27 PM

OMG, another "poll" ...

Pretty much the same deal as Sean: With the exception of one odd ball, my jets have a [link=http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Regulator/3.htm]Smart-Fly Regulator[/link] with failsafe switch and a pair of TanicPack 2500mAH 2-cell LiPo's ...

Mike

causeitflies 05-08-2007 09:32 PM

Two 5 cell packs through separate switches to MPX RX. The MPX RX has built in battery backer circuit.

mr_matt 05-08-2007 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Dual 5-cell (not 6V !) packs through independant switches, to 5.7 or 6v regulators, to receiver.

Regulators used due to past problems in which servos were burned out without them.
Same here except I usually run 5.2 volts output, to ensure my JR servos can "hear" my Futaba Rx signals.

I used to use Oddino regulators, but the current output is pretty low, I use Smart Fly now (nice product). Surge current to 9A.

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Regulator/2.htm

felker14 05-08-2007 09:59 PM

2 Fromeco 2 cell batteries going into Smart Fly Turbo Reg going into Smart Fly Power Expander Sport. Swicth is Smart Fly fail safe Flag Switch. Use Smart-Fly and Fromeco products because the customer service is top notch along with there products. They also look to there customers for feed back on how to make there products better.

TommyWatson 05-09-2007 12:44 AM

Dual Li-Ion Batteries to a Weatronic Receiver.

mick15 05-09-2007 03:35 AM

Dual 2500 Li Pos to Weatronics Rx.

m

asimace 05-09-2007 07:52 AM

Dual 2800 mAh 2cell LiIo to smart-fly regulator (with failsafe switch) and then smart-fly power expander...
Mauri, Italy

tamjets 05-09-2007 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my choice.
Either run 2 Ni-Cad or 2 Lipo with the Batshare diagram as show.

chrigui 05-09-2007 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...nsor/start.php

HarryC 05-09-2007 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Two 5 cell packs through separate switches to MPX RX. The MPX RX has built in battery backer circuit.
Same for me.

Aero65 05-09-2007 07:27 PM

Hi

Smaller jets 2500 mah Tanic lipos to a Fromeco badger sw to a Fromeco Regulator

Bigger jets with over 6 servos 2 X 2500 mah Tanic lipos, 2 x Fromeco badger or 1 Woverine switch, 2 X Fromeco Regulator power into batt and open aux channel or y connector on used channel. Use Digital Volt meter to balance voltage of regulators.

Koenieboy 05-10-2007 03:47 AM

I've got a Emcotec mini 6 with 2 lipos 1500 mah in my Flash.

Delta Mike 05-10-2007 10:27 AM

My EuroSport has 5 -8611s 1-8411 2- 331s 2- 1950ma NiMh Sanyo Faup (NoBS batteries)@2mOhms Impedence by wiring into seperate switches into Reciever Battery port and Aux channel. I charge every third flight and I check voltages before each flight. This system has minimal failure points and is light weight and keeps wiring jungle down to a min....

It works!

Chris Smith 05-10-2007 06:51 PM

So...I was hoping there would be some kind of concensus. Dual batteries lead the poll but that only accounts for the choices offered. The volume of different components and set-ups as indicated in the thread shows considerable variation for powering servos and receivers.
Are we becoming over-gimicky or is all this cool stuff really necessary for a safe reliable set-up?

Why are the leading radio manufacturers not producuing all this stuff in their own product lines? They offer a few different capacity batteries, a small switch or HD switch, and HD or regular servo extensions. That's it!!
Do they know something jet guys don't? Or do jet guys know something they don't?
What's all this other stuff for? And who says? Rhetorically that is.

Chris

tamjets 05-10-2007 07:53 PM

Why are the leading radio manufacturers not producuing all this stuff in their own product lines? They offer a few different capacity batteries, a small switch or HD switch, and HD or regular servo extensions. That's it!!
Chris

[/quote]

Volume is the answer.....