RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Smart-fly power expander with regulators (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6017697-smart-fly-power-expander-regulators.html)

Chris Smith 06-21-2007 06:45 PM

Smart-fly power expander with regulators

For those using Smart-Fly power expanders, do you use seperate regulators with dual 5-cell batteries (Nicd, Nimh) such as their Turbo Reg?
Or is the power expander alone ok?

Thanks,
Chris

SinCityJets 06-21-2007 08:13 PM

RE: Smart-fly power expander with regulators

You don't need a reg for nicd or nimh. Only Lithiums. Then you use a Super-reg or Turbo reg

quist 06-21-2007 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith

For those using Smart-Fly power expanders, do you use seperate regulators with dual 5-cell batteries (Nicd, Nimh) such as their Turbo Reg?
Or is the power expander alone ok?

Thanks,
Chris
You do not want to use 6 volt regulators with 6.0 volt batteries. The Power Expander has diode protection so if one of your batteries fail it wont effect the system. There is a slight voltage drop when you go through the diode.

If you have any other questions about Smart-Fly equipment Robert has a forum here on RCU You can email him from his web site www.smart-fly.com.

Chris Smith 06-21-2007 08:57 PM

Thanks Fellas. They look like good products.

Chris

afterburner 06-21-2007 10:12 PM

Not sure I agree with some of the statements here. You can use regulators with the power expander when using 5 cell Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh batteries if you are not comfortable with unregulated 5 cell voltages . The only issue with using regulators is that it is almost impossible to get them balanced so only one battery will be supplying current unless it fails and then the power expander would switch to drawing from the other pack. The choice is yours. Take a look at the connection diagrams on the smart fly website.

Marty

normt 06-21-2007 10:24 PM

Hi Chris,

I use the power expander and the reg. I use 2 x 5 cell nicads and have no problem. Batteries draw approx even. You have to check your servo,s and other electronic devices in the aircraft as this will determine wether you need a reg or not. In my case i run Futaba 9255 servos in my FB MB339, they do not like over 5.5 volts. If you are using say JR8511 then fully charged 5 cell pack say 6.9 volts approx is ok. Hope this helps

quist 06-21-2007 11:56 PM

If you read my statement I said 6 volt regulators.

SinCityJets 06-22-2007 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: afterburner

The only issue with using regulators is that it is almost impossible to get them balanced so only one battery will be supplying current unless it fails and then the power expander would switch to drawing from the other pack.

Marty
Not true. As a dealer and user of Smart-Fly, I use both Super and Turbo regulators and the voltage of both batteries is almost identical (within .1 volt) at the end of the day. I plug in 2 I4C C-volts in to the charge jacks on the regulator so I can see the voltage pre-regulated at all times.

Chris, you're right about one thing, it's good stuff! Every plane I have (worth anything) has complete smart-fly sytems installed.

quist 06-22-2007 12:39 AM

The Super and Turbo regulators are actually only one regulator with dual heavy duty inputs and outputs. That is why the batteries stay balanced. If you take 2 regulators and match the voltage you will see a difference in the battery voltages after a few flights.

afterburner 06-22-2007 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: C2_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: afterburner

The only issue with using regulators is that it is almost impossible to get them balanced so only one battery will be supplying current unless it fails and then the power expander would switch to drawing from the other pack.

Marty
Not true. As a dealer and user of Smart-Fly, I use both Super and Turbo regulators and the voltage of both batteries is almost identical (within .1 volt) at the end of the day. I plug in 2 IC4 C-volts in to the charge jacks on the regulator so I can see the voltage pre-regulated at all times.

Chris, you're right about one thing, it's good stuff! Every plane I have (worth anything) has complete smart-fly sytems installed.
The point is, if you use the super or turbo regulator, all redundancy is lost. Like Quist said, it's only one regulator with two inputs and outputs. If the reg fails, your plane is lost even if your batteries are fine. If using two regs with two batts, you can have a batt or reg failure and still have power to the expander. I'd rather have the system drawing unevenly and keep the rdundancy at least up to the power expander.

Marty

quist 06-22-2007 10:03 AM

Marty,

I don't believe Smart-Fly has ever had a failure on this unit. It is bullit proof. But I understand your concern with the investment that is made into a jet.

quist 06-22-2007 10:09 AM

SinCityJets 06-22-2007 11:20 AM

That is true Quist, not one documented case of a SUper or Turbo reg failure. Not to say it won't happen in the future, but two seperate regulators could also fail at the same time.

He builds great stuff, very heavy-duty!

Chris Smith 06-22-2007 03:05 PM

Thanks for the discussion. If I didn't think the servos needed regulators I might not worry about them. The concern is regulator problems, overheating etc. But I'll take that chance to insure the servos operate properly.

I'm using 2 JR 8411s and 4 Futaba 9155s. What should the voltage be regulated to assuming 36-48 inch HD leads?
I realize that's a tough question but I've heard the 8411s will last longer with regulated voltage.

Thanks,
Chris

Delta Mike 06-22-2007 04:41 PM

A123 Racing Ion cells, 6.6 volts unregulated.... no regulator, no worries, have fun! :-)

SinCityJets 06-22-2007 04:57 PM

I would run 6v out to them. The regulators are adjustable.

quist 06-22-2007 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith

Thanks for the discussion. If I didn't think the servos needed regulators I might not worry about them. The concern is regulator problems, overheating etc. But I'll take that chance to insure the servos operate properly.

I'm using 2 JR 8411s and 4 Futaba 9255s. What should the voltage be regulated to assuming 36-48 inch HD leads?
I realize that's a tough question but I've heard the 8411s will last longer with regulated voltage.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

Running a regulator will be fine with NIMH or Nicad but make sure it is set to 5.7 volts or lower. The diode protection in the power expander will give you a .5 volt drop.

You will also see a voltage drop over a 48 inch lead.