RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   J-35 Draken build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6672774-j-35-draken-build-thread.html)

Frank Alvarez 11-25-2007 08:06 PM

J-35 Draken build thread

1 Attachment(s)
Look what just arrived, its my new giant 1/5th scale Saab J-35 Draken fighter!
I will be posting pictures as I proceed with the build for your enjoyment, and advise as we go.
Frank.

FILE IFR 11-25-2007 08:16 PM

RE: The new Saab J-35 Draken arrived!!!

Hey Frank!

That plane looks alot like your daughter Kirstie:D. I see you got the Saab earlier than expected... Cool!
Get crack'in on the build! Congrats![sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Mike

powerjets 11-25-2007 08:20 PM

Awesome Frank !
The real Draken is the LOUDEST jet fighter I have ever witnessed, really unbearable when taking off,
make yours loud !!
Good luck

wikman 11-26-2007 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Frank Alvarez

Look what just arrived, its my new giant 1/5th scale Saab J-35 Draken fighter!
I will be posting pictures as I proceed with the build for your enjoyment, and advise as we go.
Frank.
Hi Frank
If you need help with photo dokumentation we have a couple of them at our local airport.
They are painted in green Swedish camo paint.
At the momen they are covered with snow.

Regards
Anders

Red B. 11-26-2007 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: powerjets

Awesome Frank !
The real Draken is the LOUDEST jet fighter I have ever witnessed, really unbearable when taking off,
make yours loud !!
Good luck
Who is manufaccturing this kit? I have been on the lookout for a SAAB J-35 Draken kit for a long time.

BTW, the SAAB Viggen is even louder than the Draken :-)

F-16 Skywalker 11-26-2007 06:20 AM

GeZZZ!!!!! Look at the size of that box,,, you sure you didnt order a car ??? :D

David Searles 11-26-2007 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Red, The kit is built by Peter Liebetrau, by way of Manfred Eberhard.

EAST COAST/WEST COAST!

Frank, I got mine last week, picked it up from Airworld USA. Had a bit of shipping damage, but I've got that repaired already. We'll have to compare notes as we go long, I've started hot and heavy on mine. Would you believe the turbine is mounted in the TAIL on this beast!

David

David Searles 11-26-2007 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I think I just figured out why some pics post full size and others post small then expand. I'll see if I can fix/resend the photos above.

David

Meesh 11-26-2007 08:05 AM

Frank,

How big is that bird??????

The box is humungous!

Can't wait to see this one!

Bob

Red B. 11-26-2007 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Draken is an all time favourite of mine. Good luck with the build, and please post photos of your build!

Here are a couple of photos (two Austrian Draken and a cockpit interior):

Alpenglider 11-26-2007 09:10 AM

Hi Frank!

Can i take the model in the box out for a ride :D

Ok, just kidding ;)

Looking forward to see some more pictures of the draken

LN-JET 11-26-2007 01:45 PM

I had a looong look at Manfreds J35 at Jetpower last year. Beautiful.
http://www.jet-team-liebetrau.de/pro...570c/index.htm

The landing gear also looked very heavy duty. One of the few jets with a retractable tail wheel?

Lars

Gary Arthur 11-26-2007 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They look like these.

GSR 11-26-2007 03:07 PM

There are five of them,(two two place, 3 singles) and yes that is a flyable hunter on the right. Scott

Gary Arthur 11-26-2007 03:17 PM

The Hunter is for sale.

Red B. 11-26-2007 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of a J-35 OE of the Austrian Air Force. One cool color scheme isn't it?
Even today it looks quite futuristic, not bad for a Mach 2 aircraft that first flew in 1955.

Just for the fun of it, here are a couple of music videos with the SAAB Draken:
The first one is from the late 60's. The singer, Agneta Fälthskog later became famous
as one of the A's in ABBA.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yINoi3zS6VU]Nu ska vi opp, opp, opp[/link]

The second video is of a somewhat later date and shows Draken in its natural element,
overcast Swedish autumn weather.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh97ixM1fv8]Balett i Mach 1[/link]

Finally, here is a video from the last flight of the Austrian Draken:

[link=http://The last flight of the Draken]Der letzte Flug der Draken[/link]

Frank Alvarez 11-26-2007 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is now late Monday evening and I must prepare for yet another four days flying around the USA.
If all goes as planned, and I return Friday, I should begin the Draken build in earnest early Saturday morning.
The following pictures are some of the things my daughter and I were able to locate in the very large box (coffin) that arrived.
Please note the excellent quality of landing gear created in Germany for this aircraft! Also, due to the molding finish, the wonderful surface texture can not be appreciated in the picture, however, that will soon change with the first coating of primer. Stay tuned for further progress!
Enjoy............

Frank Alvarez 11-26-2007 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello floks,

Here are more photo's from this evening.
Frank.

F-16 Skywalker 11-27-2007 02:39 AM

Nice F15's too.!!!

Joe C 11-27-2007 02:52 AM

Good luck with you Draken Frank and Dave, I am sure they will be awesome. Joe C!!

Stig Andersen 11-27-2007 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's always nice to see the Draken modelled. Here in DK we also had the Draken. The most famous Draken is the AR-117 which had the call sign "Dynamite 6-1". It got it's paintjob overnight after Denmark beat Uruguay 6-1 in the World Soccer Championship.

Here are some pictures of a 1/72 model.

Ray Davis 11-27-2007 12:11 PM

Nice gear(!)......nice pajama pants, too, Frank ;)

David Searles 11-28-2007 07:20 AM

Frank,

Your missing elevator must have somehow found its way into my box. I've got an extra one. I can drop it back off at Airworld this weekend or if you pm me your address, I will UPS it out to you later today. Also, take a look in your box, maybe you'll find my missing front canopy glass.

David

Frank Alvarez 11-28-2007 11:34 AM

Hello David,

I will be happy to look for your forward canopy as soon as I return from this trip. Funny, now that I think about it. The package containing the cockpit canopy was not opened, furthermore, it appeared as a rather bulky wrapping of parts. Hopefully, your missing part is in that wrap. I will PM you with my contact info in the mean time.
Did you recieve any building guidance with your kit? I did not get anything at all. I am also in need of the large 4.5 litre fuel tank spoken of in the Jet-Power article during the brief on this kit. Do you have a sorce? I was thinking Gary Muller? The gang at Airworld say they will circle the wagons to provide us with all the support to complete these birds. Hope its soon as I am eager to begin.
Take care David.
Frank.

David Searles 11-28-2007 02:18 PM

Frank,

The kit is so new that Peter Liebetrau had not yet finished the building sheets. I have been in email contact with him and he has started emailing me the photo sheets. He expects to have them done by Friday. Peter has been great and very helpful. I also asked him about the fuel tank. I believe he is still in the process of molding it as well as cockpit parts and other accessories. I will forward the construction photos I have to you, and I believe Peter will add you to the email list for the completed sheets this weekend.

I have also been in contact with Manfred Eberhard, who graciously offered to burn all the photos he has of his Draken to CD and mailed it out to me earlier this week. I don't know how long post will take, but, If you want, I will burn another copy when I receive it and send it along to you.

Your elevator will be dropped off at UPS this afternon & I'll forward you the tracking #.

David

UPS 1Z 1ET 877 02 9844 8886 2ND DAY AIR by end of day Friday 11/30. I'll collect the shipping cost from the guys at Airworld;) plus handling fee![>:]