RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Reaction 44+ is a reality! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6761370-reaction-44-reality.html)

rcguy! 12-15-2007 05:11 PM

Reaction 44+ is a reality!

1 Attachment(s)
Folks,
I've built another "mini-sized" Reaction 54 I call the Reaction 44+ This version is a 83% size. With the Wren MW44 Gold putting out almost 11 pounds of thrust and not so young eyes I thought a bigger version was in order. Bruce Tharpe was kind enough to have the '54 plans plotted at this reduced scale to make building it an even easier task. The wing is 3/32" balsa sheeted foam and the fuse is mostly 3/16" sheet. Stab is 5/16" balsa with the rudder fin at 1/4" thickness.

The numbers worked out like so:

1,000 square inches wing area
65" wing span
10 pounds 15oz dry
26oz wing loading
MonoKote covering
1.05 pounds weight per pound of thrust
40oz DuBro tank
Wren MW44 Gold at almost 11 pounds of thrust
Spektrum DX7 with AR9000 RX
5 cell 2000Mah Nimh Rx battery
Wren 2S1P 1500Mah Lipo ECU battery
DS3421 servos on ailerons, flaps, rudder, and cable steering
DS9411 servo on elevator
JR331 for retract/brake combo valve
TamJets 70mm mains/brakes and 67mm nose wheel
SpringAir 101HD retracts with 85 degree mains and 100 degree nose
Behotec retract/brake valve
Balance point right in the middle as shown on the planset.

Dave Rigotti

u2fast 12-15-2007 05:14 PM

RE: Reaction 44+ is a reality!

lookn great, the reaction is one of the best sport designs ever. barry

rcguy! 12-15-2007 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more pictures in no particular order. On the flap pushrod I used a ball link to allow the servo arm to be almost on center to reduce the load the servo will see at full flap of 40 degrees. I used Central Hobbies carbon pushrod system for the rudder hookup. Light and stiff for sure.

Dave

rcguy! 12-15-2007 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pictures still.

Dave

rcguy! 12-15-2007 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pictures...
Pretty busy compartment as I wanted to get all I could up front to help with the balance. NO nose weight was needed!

Dave

TommyWatson 12-15-2007 06:13 PM

Great stuff Dave, I found these pics very helpful. Given me a lot to think about. Now I have a challenge to get mine under 11 pounds!!.

Regards

MECHIE TECH 12-15-2007 06:25 PM

Cracking job Dave, can't wait to hear how your bird flies ( on rails just like the full size one I would imagine :D)

Best regards,

M.T.

rcguy! 12-15-2007 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Great stuff Dave, I found these pics very helpful. Given me a lot to think about. Now I have a challenge to get mine under 11 pounds!!.

Regards

Tommy,
I'm not sure if 10# 15 and 11# 3 makes much difference. Careful wood selection and easy on the glue is paramount.
I'll maiden her if and when the weather breaks for even an hour. Otherwise, she'll fly 2 days before I attend Desert Jet Storm this February as I'm shipping it out to a friend in Phoenix.

Dave

Eddie P 12-15-2007 08:22 PM

THAT'S AWESOME

The size looks great for all around every day flying. Keep it in the car at work and if you get the chance, go fly.

How do you ship your models to jet meets?

I'd like to attend Speedworld this year in PHX, I'd bring my Reaction as well as a few others but I have to get the partiulars down on how to transport jets reliably and safely over distances. Phoenix ios probably too far to drive...

rcguy! 12-15-2007 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

THAT'S AWESOME

The size looks great for all around every day flying. Keep it in the car at work and if you get the chance, go fly.

How do you ship your models to jet meets?

I'd like to attend Speedworld this year in PHX, I'd bring my Reaction as well as a few others but I have to get the partiulars down on how to transport jets reliably and safely over distances. Phoenix ios probably too far to drive...
Eddie,
This is the exact reason I built it! The size allows for easy transport and everyday type flying. The 70mm main wheels and 67mm nose wheel should be real nice from our grass strip. My KingCat was a bit limited at our home field due to crops and wind direction.

Anyway, I ship in a triwall cardboard box with the model "foamed" in place via DHL ground. Typical dimension is 15" high by 26" wide by 65" long weighing just under 40 pounds. Label "TOP LOAD ONLY". Cost to ship from Cleveland, Ohio to Phoenix is under $130 each way with insurance. Takes about 4 or 5 days each way. Cactusflyer is my local flying buddy, altho I made many new friends last year. DJS IS a rally to make! Last year it was 9 degrees in Cleveland while I was flying in the upper 70's! BTW.... MY airfare is just about the same! Short of a complete disaster any minor damage that may occur is easily fixed due to the balsa/Monokote construction.

I'm NOW trying to convince the lovely Mrs. Rigotti that shipping it to Vegas between Christmas and New Year to test fly it would be fun!
Stay Tuned!

Dave

rcguy! 12-15-2007 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: MECHIE TECH

Cracking job Dave, can't wait to hear how your bird flies ( on rails just like the full size one I would imagine :D)

Best regards,

M.T.
M.T.
I'm sure she'll be a sweetheart just like the '54. Same airfoils, washout, decelage, etc. Much better power to weight ratio than with a P60/R54 combo. Probably closer to a Wren SS54/R54 combo at near 1:1 ratio. Wing loading is @ 26oz's vs 30oz on the R54.

Dave

cactusflyer 12-16-2007 03:38 AM

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Cactusflyer is my local flying buddy, altho I made many new friends last year. DJS IS a rally to make! Last year it was 9 degrees in Cleveland while I was flying in the upper 70's! BTW.... MY airfare is just about the same! Short of a complete disaster any minor damage that may occur is easily fixed due to the balsa/Monokote construction.

Dave
Looks really good, Dave. When you ship it out here, be sure to put the TX in the box with it....Just in case Vin , Jeff, Wayne and I need to do a "safety inspection" at the field before you arrive!:D:D

Regards,

John

rcguy! 12-16-2007 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Cactusflyer is my local flying buddy, altho I made many new friends last year. DJS IS a rally to make! Last year it was 9 degrees in Cleveland while I was flying in the upper 70's! BTW.... MY airfare is just about the same! Short of a complete disaster any minor damage that may occur is easily fixed due to the balsa/Monokote construction.

Dave
Looks really good, Dave. When you ship it out here, be sure to put the TX in the box with it....Just in case Vin , Jeff, Wayne and I need to do a "safety inspection" at the field before you arrive!:D:D

Regards,

John
John,
Your offer leaves me speechless! Vin, Wayne, Jeff, and you are the best! With friends like this I think I'll send the TX to Horizon for its annual checkup instead! :-)) Kidding of course.
I still have a few minor things to do like secure the brake lines to the struts, wing tip skids, start the turbine for the first time. and range check. Hey wait a minute.....Don't I do that at your place? Taxiing a jet up and down the street is a good way to meet your neighbors?

Dave

cactusflyer 12-16-2007 10:28 AM

[ Hey wait a minute.....Don't I do that at your place? Taxiing a jet up and down the street is a good way to meet your neighbors?

Dave

...........Works every time! I look forward to seeing the both of you in February.

John

1Eye 12-16-2007 11:04 AM

The '44+' version looks great Dave! I have a few related questions:
1. Did you use the original '54' airfoil and just scale it down or ... ?
2. Is there any washout in the wing tips? If so, how much?
3. Any dihedral in the wing to speak of or did you simply mate the wing halves with the top(s) flat and use the airfoil taper for "dihedral"?
4. It would appear you made your own turbine mount(?).
5. Do you know what the turbine thrust line is relative to the horizontal stab?

Thanks.

rcguy! 12-16-2007 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: MrMike

The '44+' version looks great Dave! I have a few related questions:
1. Did you use the original '54' airfoil and just scale it down or ... ?
2. Is there any washout in the wing tips? If so, how much?
3. Any dihedral in the wing to speak of or did you simply mate the wing halves with the top(s) flat and use the airfoil taper for "dihedral"?
4. It would appear you made your own turbine mount(?).
5. Do you know what the turbine thrust line is relative to the horizontal stab?

Thanks.
1. Yes same airfoil section as R54 but of course scaled to 83%.
2. Yes and I'm not sure of exact amount as the setup is exactly the same as the R54. Maybe 1 degree washout?
3. Yes. Same as R54 3 degrees as measured along the bottom of each wing.
4. Yes. .050" 6061 T6. Takes about 20 minutes to layout, cut out, sand, and bend
5. No not really. I do know the R44+ has 2 more degrees down thrust than what is shown on the R54 due to experience with the original R44. I can say the angle between the mount and the turbine lugs is 12 degrees. The jet eflux is closer to the stab on these versions and I think the stab is getting sucked down into it at WOT. I needed an extra 4 degrees on the R44 and still had to have a few percent down elevator mix to throttle to compensate.

The R44+ outline is an exact 83% scale version EXCEPT I widened the fuse to 4 1/16" inside dimension and moved F5 back 3/4" to accept the 40oz DuBro tank. F3 was also relocated to allow the longer than scale nose strut to retract. 1" I think. The main struts are longer than "scale" because I could not locate units with out facing cylinders and the wheels would have hit the cylinders.

Dave

Eddie P 12-18-2007 08:43 AM

I'm a big fan of building with foam cores - I'm really just a slope builder who can't leave behind PSS construction techniques, and I find it easier to quickly scratch build using this technique, that's all. :D But, do you think you gained much if any weight using sheeted cores versus a traditional built up wing?

rcguy! 12-18-2007 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

I'm a big fan of building with foam cores - I'm really just a slope builder who can't leave behind PSS construction techniques, and I find it easier to quickly scratch build using this technique, that's all. :D But, do you think you gained much if any weight using sheeted cores versus a traditional built up wing?
Eddie,
It is what it is. At 11 pounds dry the weight is just fine. "From scratch" built-up wings are not my cup of tea. Are they lighter than if I used built up construction? Dunno, don't care. I'm with you on the "ease" of construction as a "one off".

Dave

Bob_B 12-18-2007 12:24 PM

Dave,
Great job on your new Reaction 44+. Maybe Bruce would consider kitting this version for the scratch build "challenged".

Eddie,
Do I see a Sea Venom scheme version of this model in your future?

I love my Wren 44 Gold. It is a mighty little motor.
Bob

rcguy! 12-18-2007 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

Dave,
Great job on your new Reaction 44+. Maybe Bruce would consider kitting this version for the scratch build "challenged".

Eddie,

Bob
Bob,
Thank You for the kind words!
I dunno about Bruce's intentions. He has always embraced MY scratch building efforts based on the R54 design. How about a R120SE next? 120% size seems easy enough! 2pc wing and de-mountable tails surfaces for sure! "A MonoKote overcast!"
Better get your butt out to Phoenix! FIRST round of sodas on me!

Dave Rigotti

Bob_B 12-18-2007 03:23 PM

I'm working on the Phoenix dates. I hope that soda is at the least a Root Beer :)
Are sure you and John would want to hang out with an Electric powered jet Flyer???
Bob

Dave,

Eddie,

Bob
Bob,
I dunno about Bruce's intentions. He has always embraced MY scratch building efforts based on the R54 design. How about a R120SE next? 120% size seems easy enough! 2pc wing and de-mountable tails surfaces for sure! "A MonoKote overcast!"

Dave Rigotti

rcguy! 12-18-2007 05:12 PM

I'm working on the Phoenix dates. I hope that soda is at the least a Root Beer :)
Are sure you and John would want to hang out with an Electric powered jet Flyer???
Bob

Dave,

Eddie,

Bob
Bob,

Dave Rigotti

Yes it would be Root Beer!

Hydrocarbon exhaust is always better than Ozone.....BUT your electrical stuff is AOK! Anybody that histarts a jet flight is worth watching!

Dave

Bob_B 12-18-2007 06:34 PM

No HI Starts this time Dave :)

cactusflyer 12-19-2007 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Bob

Bob,

I need to let you know that I am a "closet e-flier"..................SHHHH! Let me know what I can do to help with the planning. Maybe with you two "big guns" in town, we can get Tony to come also.

John

rcguy! 12-19-2007 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Bob

Bob,

I need to let you know that I am a "closet e-flier"..................SHHHH! Let me know what I can do to help with the planning. Maybe with you two "big guns" in town, we can get Tony to come also.

John

John,
I Like your thinking!

Lets make it happen!

Dave