RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jetlegend 1/6 Scale F16 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6860860-jetlegend-1-6-scale-f16.html)

David Jackson 01-05-2008 11:03 PM

Jetlegend 1/6 Scale F16

Has anyone received the Jetlegend 1/6 scale F16? If so, what opinion do you have regarding the quality of the kit and landing gear?

Asif 05-24-2008 05:42 AM

RE: Jetlegend 1/6 Scale F16

David,
I have recently bought Jetlegend F-16, and I think the landing gear is one of the most scale ones I've ever seen. They look tough too!! The craftsmanship is very nice.
Regards
Asif

Asif 05-24-2008 05:45 AM

Sorry, misread your question. I've bought 1/8 scale not 1/6.

Asif

David Jackson 05-24-2008 03:57 PM

Asif,

I received the 1/6 scale F-16 March 25. For the most part, the plane has been assembled. Since I totalled my 280 in a crash, I am now waiting for a suitable powerplant.

ddennison 04-10-2009 10:51 AM

any news on this plane?

David Jackson 04-10-2009 12:34 PM

There may be a separate thread starter by some other owners of this plane. Whereas I have yet to fly my plane, other have reported that it flies extremely well. Its fast, but lands very slow with predictable handling qualities. The only mods suggested by others was to increase the AOA by putting spacers under the nose gear. This will actually help with rotation on take off. Other than that, according to Malcolm Kaye, the plane is a joy to fly.

David Jackson 04-10-2009 12:35 PM

moderator please delete

ceffi 04-11-2009 01:47 PM

Hello,
now I got a JL F 16 1/6.
Has anyone infos about CG, control throws and the angle between wing and elevator?

Thank's

Christian

David Jackson 04-11-2009 07:50 PM

You should have found a set of plans in the box, maybe inside the fuse. There is info on the plans regarding CG and deflection of the control surfaces.[8D]

ceffi 04-12-2009 01:31 AM

Thanks David,

but I would like to have infos out of the praxis.

Christian

Malcolm Kay 04-12-2009 09:14 AM

Ceffi ! have my CG at 190 MM back from the leading edge... the plan shows it at 175 but after 7 or 8 flights I moved it back a little each time ... much better,......... I have had it back at 195 mm as well all very safe... I have had thirty flights now and I absolutely love the Jet Legend 1/6 F 16,,,, so much that all my flying buddies in south florida have ordered four of them from me .
At first the plane went the full length of a 750 ft runway on full up elevator and full power from a Jetcat P160 SX and at the last yard of tarmac it leapt into the air.. caused by too nose heavy and a negative AOA because the nose leg was mounted too deep in the fuse..... I spaced out the whole nose gear frame with washers and longer bolts to bring the nose near level and moved the CG back each flight till I had it at a comfortable spot.../. Then I had ex world champion Steve Elias fly my plane at florida Jets a few times,.. and he moved the CG further back to 195 MM and he loved it ... after I flew it again at that point I moved slightly forward to 190mm for my own comfort,, but at 195.mm the plane was incredibly responsive to every input , elevator rudder and ails, it turned on a dime rolled like hell , great to fly but you needed to be 200 % in front of the plane all the time,.... landing is an absolute pleasure 1/3 throttle for the approach and two hundred yards from the threshold cut to idle and start to lift the nose,, she holds that attitude all the way to the tarmac and won't stall..... very satisfying.... best of luck Malcolm kay

no longer Aviation Design,
Jet Legend Agent

David Jackson 04-12-2009 11:33 AM

Malcolm,

Do you have any flight video of your plane to share?

David

Malcolm Kay 04-12-2009 04:56 PM

David sorry ... no video , but next time I fly I will see if I can get some and post it for you....

ceffi 04-13-2009 01:10 AM

Hello Melcom,

a video would be great.
does you fly the F 16 with ailerons or only with the tailarons?
Is the gear useable at gras airfields?
I got the model from a friend. He asked me, to change my HPTA L 39 from global jet club into his JL 1/6 F 16.

Christian

ceffi 04-13-2009 01:12 AM

Hello Melcom,

a video would be great.
does you fly the F 16 with ailerons or only with the tailarons?
Is the gear useable at gras airfields?
I got the model from a friend. He asked me, to change a L 39 from me into his JL 1/6 F 16.

Christian

David Jackson 04-13-2009 11:08 AM

The model comes with ailerons. The other owners that have flown their model are using the conventional setup, ailerons and elevators.

Malcolm Kay 04-13-2009 07:25 PM

Ceffi , I fly my F16 with ailerons and elevators a customer of mine mario Bonilla first flew his with tailerons and flaperons, then he switched to the normal elev /ails and he preferred it that way....BTW change the nose gear spring before you fly ..it is too soft and will compress under take off run..and cause more negative ...MK

Martyn Serginson UK 04-14-2009 06:47 PM

Just been reading the very useful threads here before I test flew my 1/6 JL F16 this weekend here in the UK.

Malcolm's C/G recommendation of around 190 - 195 mm back from LE is spot on.

JL drawing recommends approx 185mm from LE which is a touch nose heavy and made for a very soft elevator response and added reluctance to rotate, as effect of main wheels being so far aft of C/G is further exaggerated.

Nosehweel spring on my model is very stiff with only around 8mm of 'soft' movement as factory delivered. Also the nose gear frame could not be lowered any further in the nose section without fouling gear door. So maybe factory has already made the modifications ?

Even so, my model still sat at 0 deg wing incidence with full tanks.

So.......I lowered the main gear by 8mm to ensure +2 deg positive on the wing and also introduce a degree of positive camber on the main wheels.

This mod also has the added advantage of allowing the mains to retract 5 mm further into the wells before the main wheels touch each other. Now plenty of clearance for main doors, which before mod was very tight. Drop a note on the forum if you would like me to email pics of mod.

This mod plus 190mm C/G stopped the tendency for the model to leap into the air on takeoff, as a much reduced positive elevator input was required to achieve rotation ( although rotation speed looked about the same ).

Now completed 6 flights and settled with the following setup :

190mm CG position and 60mm elevator travel (measured at TE ), 20mm Aileron travel (measured at tip TE ).

Zero exponential on all surfaces, no gyros, you won't need them.....

Verdict so far

This airplane is magnificent.

Some distant spectators on the airfield perimiter were convinced it was a full size F16 and wanted to know when the rest of the Thunderbirds team would be arriving in the UK...............The Red Arrows are based on the next airfield...........oops.

It just grooves solidly around the sky and stays perfectly on the heading you give it, like an express train on very solid rails.

Very flattering for an average pilot like me ........all I need to do is stand there with my mouth open in admiration and turn it now and again ..........

It handles just like a well set up F3A model. Roll response is incredibly crisp and stops exactly wherever you centre the stick.

With minimal up trim required ( at CG 190mm ) rolls are almost perfectly axial with only a small degree of forward stick required when inverted.

Jetcat 160 SE provides perfect level of power for large open manouvres and enough thrust to deliver constant scale type airspeed in the long vertical climbs.

Undercarriage is an exquisitely executed rendition of the full size and despite a resultant delicate appearance, is incredibly strong.

Proved by two very heavy arrivals on the earlier flights whilst figuring out how I should land it.......

Next flights will explore flap function - keep you posted

mikedenilin 04-14-2009 07:01 PM

Hi Martyn,

Congratulation on your successful flights.

Could you please email me some photos of your F-16 setup? I am setting up one with opening canopy and air brake. I will put a P160SX on mine.

Thanks,

Mike

Malcolm Kay 04-14-2009 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah yeah Martyn, your description is exactly concurrent with the way my F16 is.... and yes I am at this moment working on the undercarriage mod. so I am glad you found a significant improvement in the ground handling at take off, it would be soooo nice to carry out a smooth scale take off, I have passed on the info to the factory so that future F16 customers will benefit from our findings.
This truly is an exceptional model aircraft, and the value for money is in a class of it's own...... I won't go into comparisons of other manufacturer's product or price structure, for fear of starting a whole list of posts that will take us away from the main purpose, that is to help like minded modellers obtain the same kind of performance from their own Jet Legend F16 ARF's

No longer Aviation Design

Jet Legend Agent.

David Jackson 04-14-2009 07:26 PM

Malcolm,

Did you attach your missile rails with screws, or epoxy?

David

wardie 04-14-2009 10:07 PM

Martyn,
Congrats on your success, this is a great post for the Jet Ledends 1/6 owners!
It is great to hear you dropped your gear as that is what I have done as well.
Please let me know how you did this mod. Photo if possible?
I drilled new holes (8)in the main gear former with a long bit from the rear.
I hope there was not an easier way!
Thanks in advance, Dennis.

wardie 04-14-2009 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I moved the gear mounting plate up until it touched the joint on the Former.

Malcolm Kay 04-15-2009 04:40 AM

David, I held the rails on with screws provided in the kit, but after a few transports and field knocks they came loose ,so I drilled out the rail and fitted a plywood square inside ,glued with hysol E- 20 then drilled the hole and use a cap head self tapper, they are rock solid now...

jet legend agent

Martyn Serginson UK 04-15-2009 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dennis. Pic attached showing modified U C mounting plate. Note the plate stays in the original position on the former