RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jet servo's? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6988512-jet-servos.html)

richbran 01-29-2008 03:20 AM

Jet servo's?

Due to a new project coming up, with P160 and 20 kg weight range I have to start researching for new a servo choice.
Currently I fly 8411 and S9250 on an F16 and Hotspot.
What kinda servo's You guys are flying on those (bigger) jets. Looking for basic control and flap servos.

(I could not find a specific thread on this subject, if one exists, plse let me know)

seanreit 01-29-2008 03:37 AM

RE: Jet servo's?

8611 and 8711 are great choices. Always best to check with the source, www.horizonhobby.com and then call donshobbyshop.com or joey tamez in dallas, tx to buy them.

richbran 01-29-2008 03:54 AM

Tks, Sean.
What about HITECs? I fly a lot of these servos in other prop planes and gliders, contrary to some other reports I have no bad experiences (not MORE than with other brands, that is...)

jetnuno 01-29-2008 04:52 AM

Hi

You also have the new s9156 from Futaba or the Hitec 5955, both rated at 25Kg.m @ 6V

DelGatoGrande 01-29-2008 05:41 AM

hitec's 5955 and 5645

schroedm 01-29-2008 06:51 AM

P160....20kg weight.....JR servos!

Is it worth the 'risk' even though you have not had issues with Hitec servos? The fact remains a larger proportion are than with other brands.

KC36330 01-29-2008 08:40 AM

I've never understood the mentality that you spent 7 or 8 grand on an airframe and turbine so you wanna save a few hundred bucks now and buy Hitec servos............... i own a Hitec HS645MG that i got in a trade so i must admit it does make a damn fine paper weight.

Steve Collins 01-29-2008 08:54 AM

A fairly economical servo ($32.99) that I have used with great success on my Boomerang XL is the Futaba S3305. I use them on all of my flight surfaces. These work so well that I am beginning to question the need for $100+ servos. Check them out here:

http://www.servocity.com/html/s3305_...l_gear_bb.html

I am currently equipping a Grumman Panther with them.

DelGatoGrande 01-29-2008 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: KC36330

I've never understood the mentality that you spent 7 or 8 grand on an airframe and turbine so you wanna save a few hundred bucks now and buy Hitec servos............... i own a Hitec HS645MG that i got in a trade so i must admit it does make a damn fine paper weight.

the member started this post didnt mention "wanna save a few hundred bucks ".

and the ones who use hitec servos dont "save a few hundred bucks".hitec have the right price.

is the jr users who spent "a few hundred bucks more"

...so this is a personal choise.if you have came up with felures please report them and let us know so we can protect our models.

but if your only promblem is the lower price i think you must let go the caves and try a house for once.

we have worked well the money we give to our expencive toys and you should show some respect to this hard earn money.

it is not nice to make some one feel "secont place" becouse he didnt took the most expencive.....i dont know why this last one smell BVM!?!..anyway

....KC36330 over the years all my planes flew with hitec with no promblems.i do have jr also!5645 always used it for steering with no promblem!

......its good to look for the BBD(biger better deal)....thats how the "7 or 8 grand " comes up...insted we would go 30 or 35 grand

take care

ultimate with powerbx royal and hitec servos

richbran 01-29-2008 09:56 AM

George's piece makes interesting reading.
Indeed I am just asking which type of servo's are out there in those bigger fuel/noise converters. The last two years I was not into buying new high class powerful servos, so I lost touch a bit, that's why I'm asking.

Basically George is right. Why pay for extra if not needed. Of course I want only the best for my jets, but it is only so safe as the weakest component, and there is MORE in a jet as servos.
I think nowadays highclass servos all perform above a required level.
So if I am convinced the top(price) servo's will bring me more safety, precision or other advantage, no doubt, they will get in. But I am not going to buy just to "feel" more safe.

I selected Jetcat because of a good price/performance, but technically AMTs might be better.... so the same policy I use in my servo choice.

KC36330 01-29-2008 09:57 AM

ORIGINAL: DelGatoGrande

the member started this post didnt mention "wanna save a few hundred bucks ".
Why else would one buy an inferrior product if it wasn't because they were trying to cut cost???

and the ones who use hitec servos dont "save a few hundred bucks".
you are so very correct, they loose several thousand when the Hitec servos fail in their plane.

i tried the Hitec servos many moons ago in helicopters, they were drastically over rated on their speed and the centering was crap so i quickly sold them and replaced them with JRs that i'd grown to love. sense that time I've seen countless planes go in with servo failure and all had Hitec in them, just a few weeks ago we had a guy put his new Futaba FASST 14ch in his 1/4 scale gasser and all the Hitec servos smoked, i tried to bring this up in a different thread and got cursed and flamed as a Futaba basher and the owner of the plane in question was just an idiot so I've come to the conclusion if you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore the facts and continue to use inferior products, live and learn the hard way by having failures and loosing your aircraft.

you get what you pay for, if Hitec had the quality that JR does then they'd bring the same price or they'd drive JR prices down but they don't, just like a Ford Festiva isn't gonna drive the price of a BMW down.

ORIGINAL: richbran

..............Basically George is right. Why pay for extra if not needed. Of course I want only the best for my jets,.................

ask yourself why it is Uncle Bob uses only JR servos in his aircraft???

frothingslosh 01-29-2008 10:12 AM

The Hitec 5955's in my Eurosport are great . . . no problems EVER with any of the Hitec servos. and I've used a bunch 0f them un the last few years.

kevinthoele 01-29-2008 10:27 AM

I have used both JR 8611 and Hitech 5955 titanium gear. The servos are the same price around $ 115 retail each. They both perform well. Either is a good choice. For those who bash hitech on the high end, I think you are missing a great performing servo with tons of programming. Forget the match box and reversed servos and end points all these are programmable on the hitech.

My 2 cents

Edgar Perez 01-29-2008 12:24 PM

Enjoy Hitec 5955/5945 for their price-performance ratio and their programmability.:D

ChuckC 01-29-2008 12:36 PM

I'm kind of with Kevin on this one, however I wouldn't do the Hitec 5645 on primary surfaces. That I would save for coreless, high torque metal geared servos. While I use Hitecs a bit, I still stick a high end Futaba digital on the highly loaded surfaces.

Don't over-install, though - you stick too much servo(s) in and you can over tax your ability to provide power to it/them - not good.

Anything you buy, burn the servo in ahead of time. All the failures I have personally witnessed (for whatever THAT's worth) have either been "infantile" failures (new or within 20-30 minutes of new) or have been seasoned servos, with the gear train failing or the pot got dirty. Each of these failure modes is usually detectable before hand, if you specifically look for them.

Having siad that most of the jet guys use JR, for some reason (hey, wait, I got a ton of them also).

ianober 01-29-2008 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: KC36330

you get what you pay for, if Hitec had the quality that JR does then they'd bring the same price or they'd drive JR prices down but they don't, just like a Ford Festiva isn't gonna drive the price of a BMW down.

Completely incorrect! Always have used Hitec and never had any issues in the air. I will always buy Hitec for many other reasons other than a great price.

Oh and you don't really save that much, 8711's run $120-$130 and 5995's or 5955's run roughly $115. BIG SAVINGS!!! Now I can get that really cool Dr. Zivago ray gun I have been wanting!!!!:eek:

Also, install that brand new shiny 8711 and hook it up then find out that you need to reverse the servo, WAH WAH WAHHHHH, oh you can't!!! You have to buy a reversed one!! If you had a 5955 in there you could just hook up the programmer and reverse it. Pay $20 more for less functionality, come on now!!

highhorse 01-29-2008 01:29 PM

Richbran, I always groan when I see a new thread like the one U started. It's a very worthy topic and you certainly have come to the right place for the best info available, but these types of questions bring out the worst in some people ! I wish I were experienced enough to answer your question directly, but I'm not. I went 8611 on my jet on the advice of a trusted and experienced friend. Prior to that I'd never had a single issue with Futaba on my smaller models tho.

In similar threads I've seen ALL THREE brands alternately praised and villified.

My two cents is that I'd lean more heavily on the calm and reasoned advice of Sean, Delgattogrande, and Mr. Collins (among others) and discount the advice of anyone who brands another as an idiot (!) for holding a contrary opinion.

Good luck, Don.

Ehab 01-29-2008 01:35 PM

C'mon now Ian....you use Hitecs??? and you save money??? and you can reverse them by a $140+ programmer???...You are not a JR loyal are you[X(][X(]...

All servos are good choices, it is up to the modeller to pick the right servo for the job and yes all brands will have their down falls.[:@]

seanreit 01-29-2008 01:47 PM

I have a genuine question. Several years ago, I had a crashed airplane that had a couple of hitec servos in the control panel that I wanted to send to hitec and have "refurbished" to operational duty. Before I tell you what happened to me, I'll tell you this, I don't even call horizon when I send something in, I include a standardized letter that says "to persons of concern, enclosed is my xxxx please bring it back to operational duty and JR specs, charge this CC and send back to me". Two weeks later, I have the part back and ready to function. And by the way, that repair has never been more than $10.00 a servo and one time there was an 8411 that was a melted glob and they replaced it for free! The paperwork said "Warranty". I could not believe my eyes.

Anyway, I tried to do that with Hitec (send couple servos to have repaired), I called first, and I was spoken to like I was an idiot, and they told me they would sell me parts.

It never occurred to me to ask you guys what you do in this situation with hitec servos. So now I'm asking, what do you do?

dbarrym 01-29-2008 02:01 PM

This is kinda like the Ford vs. Chevy argument, both sides have merits, and flaws, in the end you choose what you are comfortable with personally.

I have bought and used many of both types of high end servos (8411, 8611, 8711, 5955, 5645)...I had several early 8611's fail (flaky optical position sensors, I think?) and they were replaced by Horizon with no questions and no cost. I have had 4 documented 5955 failures - two on the flaps of a Reaction 54, one on the aileron of a CARF Extra 330 and one on the stab of a large fun fly. Hitec did not service the first two but a local HS swapped them, the other two were trashed after getting the same response as Sean got from Hitec. The guy that bought my Reaction has since had another 5955 fail (on stab this time). On the JR debit side, I have had premature gear train wear (excessive slop after 50 to 100 flights or so) on 8411's and 8611's on the big gasser IMAC models, never had this happen with the Hitecs.

I still buy and use both brands on my sport models but use only JR's on my jets and large IMAC birds...the risk vs. $$ savings ratio in using the Hitecs is not enough for me. My $.02, FWIW.

Barry

DelGatoGrande 01-29-2008 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Ehab

....you use Hitecs??? and you save money??? .[:@]

okey this means war!:D:D

take [link=http://www.badbradgraphics.com/photo4_2.html]this[/link] price for the 5955![8D]

...i hope price is old cose lust time i end up ordering like crazy 5955s lol.....:D

ianober 01-29-2008 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: seanreit

I have a genuine question. Several years ago, I had a crashed airplane that had a couple of hitec servos in the control panel that I wanted to send to hitec and have "refurbished" to operational duty. Before I tell you what happened to me, I'll tell you this, I don't even call horizon when I send something in, I include a standardized letter that says "to persons of concern, enclosed is my xxxx please bring it back to operational duty and JR specs, charge this CC and send back to me". Two weeks later, I have the part back and ready to function. And by the way, that repair has never been more than $10.00 a servo and one time there was an 8411 that was a melted glob and they replaced it for free! The paperwork said "Warranty". I could not believe my eyes.

Anyway, I tried to do that with Hitec (send couple servos to have repaired), I called first, and I was spoken to like I was an idiot, and they told me they would sell me parts.

It never occurred to me to ask you guys what you do in this situation with hitec servos. So now I'm asking, what do you do?

Definately not the same service I got from them. I had 2 5995TG servos that burned out during setup. Most likely my fault of putting a constant load on them. Went to there website, printed out the return form, mailed it in, one week later, 2 brand new servos on my doorstep.

Everyone has a story. Both companies have equal service in my eye.

Thats a great price DelGato!! I occasionally see them for that price on the servo city website. I just love being able to use the programmer for setup during install, that alone is worth the servo!!

richbran 01-29-2008 03:33 PM

Oooops,

I just wanted to start a "best servo for jets" thread, not a servoreligion intifadah! :)
And best should be read as best price versus performance, reliability and quality. Performance can be read from the specs, but how to test reliability, we would need lotsa data from users I guess. And then what, You ask repair shops what they get in for repairs, some owners are not all that careful with electronics..so opinions are also not too reliable.
Quality can be a wide area, but would include things like service from the company.

But I'll be honest, a bit of emotion in someone's posting makes fun reading, we are talking HOBBY isn't it? Don't take it too serious guys, bad for the onboard fuelpump...
That said, don't get me wrong, that I don't take things seriously. I all too well know from my profession how important good equipment can be. But safety is NOT a servo-only matter, one has to look at the whole picture. I do not want to cut corners and save a few bucks, but I like to spend the money where it makes most sense.

I already own a HITEC programmer, which makes my eventual decision easier for not having to buy one. But on the side: setting end- and midpoints is not very user friendly, one has to disconnect the servo from the system, and after each adjustment of digital values You have to reconnect it to Your system again and check how each adjustment worked out. Getting two elevators working perfectly in sync, takes quite a bit of patience and time!!!!

Bob Toilet 01-29-2008 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: seanreit

, and I was spoken to like I was an idiot,

Wonder why,,,,

drdoom 01-29-2008 04:06 PM

anybody remember KPS-14's and 20's. you had to clean the pot's after every flight.
Even some of the early JR's in ducted fans needed cleaning often.
check out the piece on JET SERVOS on TBM... they have tested servos and posted some results. http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Servos.htm

another good piece of reading from TBM... http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/servo_testing.htm