RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   What do you think of FORMOST 150 ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7016824-what-do-you-think-formost-150-a.html)

RCISFUN 03-27-2008 11:46 AM

RE: What do you think of FORMOST 150 ?

1 Attachment(s)
Most Critical test to date......................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The wing skin will support two full beers![X(]

SpiderJets 03-27-2008 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Most Critical test to date......................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The wing skin will support two full beers![X(]
Ask the belgians and the dutch guys... that beer isn't heavy at all ! [:'(] Right, Sandor ? :D
How do we call it ? Just p... ?

SpiderJets 03-27-2008 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THIS looks already more like a serious heavy-beer-wing-spar-test !

SpiderJets 03-27-2008 01:01 PM

Strange.... we reach suddenly the thread peak of almost a 1000 hits per day... ???... LOL

digitech 03-27-2008 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: SpiderJets

THIS looks already more like a serious heavy-beer-wing-spar-test !

yes those are proper beers:D

RCISFUN 03-27-2008 03:56 PM

I'll be in Germany in a couple of weeks........I'll get some GOOD BEER!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

RCISFUN 03-27-2008 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nose Gear rail mount
1/4" (6mm) aircraft grade plywood.
Rails 2 ea, 1/4" ply on each side

randykrul 03-28-2008 02:41 AM

I bought one of these from nitromodels before I looked it up here on RCU. The price was just too good to resist. I don't mind building and none of the mods here are difficult so I have been kind of waiting to see where all of you ended up with your mods. I started on the wing today, since it needs the most work. I like to use flex plates for retracts. I won't be able to on the mains, but can easily do it on the nose gear. Since I like the safety & light weight of air starting, I plan on making the hatch easily removable for starting. Is the CG correct as per the manual? I might use 2 32oz tanks since they require the least modification to the fuel tank bay.
I am using a 16lb turbine from JD Enterprises, I hope that is enough power. Please keep adding any modifications to this post, as I really enjoy the work others have made which make my mods easy and fast. BTW my Formost is the 2008 version 2. I looked at the glue joints on the fuse formers and it seems to be very strong. I tried to pull on them and the glue held but the wood was kind of weak. I was thinking of just glassing and maybe some carbon fibre on the formers to add strength to the wood. Do you think that would be strong enough?
Randy Krul
Concord, CA

RCISFUN 03-28-2008 06:45 AM

Randy
Mine is exactly the same as your Nito Models Versions 2 (LOL).
Please read this thread from the beginning, all of the mods here are highly recommended.

RCISFUN 03-28-2008 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my elevator servo hatch mod, I still need to add in new ribs to box in the servo bay.

digitech 03-28-2008 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

I'll be in Germany in a couple of weeks........I'll get some GOOD BEER!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

No Mate , they make you go to the toilet lots of times.
however they do can cook some great meals!
get a schnitzel with fries somewhere.
if you are bored in hamburg , get on a comuterplane and visit us..
i promisse you wont remember the whole time you where here.
we would have to prove it to you:D

SpiderJets 03-28-2008 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: randykrul

I bought one of these from nitromodels before I looked it up here on RCU. The price was just too good to resist. I don't mind building and none of the mods here are difficult
Randy, you fully understood the point !

I plan on making the hatch easily removable for starting.
Yes of course, don't use the four M3 hex bolts to hold the hatch (as per the kit), install two easy hatch latches at the rear of the hatch. MPX has good ones...

BTW my Formost is the 2008 version 2. I looked at the glue joints on the fuse formers and it seems to be very strong. I tried to pull on them and the glue held but the wood was kind of weak. I was thinking of just glassing and maybe some carbon fibre on the formers to add strength to the wood. Do you think that would be strong enough?
That's what others said too in PM's about the last few delivery batches. Fly-Models seems to have changed from glue. Which is a good thing. However, the new bulkheads main asset is that they are a drop fit, strong enough, and a drop fit for a real good and affordable round turbine fuel tank, which can be emptied to the last drop of kerosene.

About the CG, no more testing done by me so far. Perhaps others can chime in here ?...

Nicolas.

SpiderJets 03-28-2008 12:56 PM

BTW, I have received some e-mails from Fly-Models today. They are working hard on further improvement and they say they have adopted most of our ideas now in the new production plans.

Nicolas.

Instructor 03-28-2008 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi RCISFUN,

Here are a few shots of my nose gear bulkhead after I modyfied them: The nose gear bulkhead id made from 3/16th Birch plywood. As soon as I get the spar photos un my computer, I'll send them to you also....

Larry

RCISFUN 03-28-2008 05:16 PM

Larry,
That should do the job:)

RCISFUN 03-29-2008 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished the elevator hatch assy., I used 1/4" (6mm) balsa for the two ribs. The hatch frame was made fro 1/8" ply and glued to the outside surface of the stab as the thickness was need to be increased to fit the servo.

If the factory is reading please make the elevator section a bit thicker to accept a standard size servo.

On to cutting out the inlets and the nose gear opening, then creating a equipment tray.

Nicolas, did you put your battery in the very front section where you cut out your hatch?

I figured if I needed the weight to balance I would cut a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage in front of the nose gear opening in order to conceal it.

Brian Zhou 03-29-2008 07:35 AM

Mr. George, How are you!
I am the FALCON-120 and the FORMOSUļ¼150 of total designer.
If each friend has problems to please to contact me. My English level pleases everyone an understanding badly.

Brian Zhou
Email:[email protected]
[email protected]

ChuckC 03-29-2008 08:37 AM

Brian,

Good enough english - do not worry. It is very good of you to come on RCU and seek suggestions. You will get some.

Good luck and please listen to some of the suggestions - the wing of the Formost 150 is not built strong enough for turbines, but can be:

1) Stronger spar (shear-webbing on both sides of spar and with wood grain vertical) and make tube go all the way through fuselage and further into outer wings.
2) Firmer attachments for retract gear
3) Keep wing from bending in torsion (twist)

RCISFUN 03-29-2008 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mr. George doesn't understand:D

i3dm 03-29-2008 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Brian Zhou

Mr. George, How are you!
I am the FALCON-120 and the FORMOSUļ¼150 of total designer.
If each friend has problems to please to contact me. My English level pleases everyone an understanding badly.

Brian Zhou
[email protected]
Brian,

Good to see you here !!

Is your factory going to implement the changes seen on this thread in the Formost 150 airframe ?

RCISFUN 03-29-2008 10:42 AM

Brian, I have been sending drawings and ideas to Jane, have you been getting them?

Brian Zhou 03-29-2008 12:02 PM

Each Sir respect!
I would like to with everyone a to improve our product, but I had better be contact with mail not much in time on the net.Thanks!
Brian Zhou
[email protected]

RCISFUN 03-30-2008 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A little more progress to post, I removed the two factory formers and tray, these almost fell out.
Made new formers and installed the nose gear.
Did a mock up of the placement of the major components.

I need to design an equipment tray, finish a little body work and do the final install.

Brian Zhou 03-30-2008 07:37 AM

I will modify the structure that the fuselage of airplane inner part separates a frame completely, strengthenning the strength of the plane wing.Time take a month to complete about.

Brian Zhou
[email protected]

i3dm 03-30-2008 07:56 AM

Brian,

Will you replace the models for the ones who bought the old kits ??