RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   What do you think of FORMOST 150 ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7016824-what-do-you-think-formost-150-a.html)

igorcar 11-14-2008 10:38 AM

RE: What do you think of FORMOST 150 ?

Hello Guys

Post some pictures of the glassing.
And Rcisfun where is the CG that you are flying?
And where did you put the batteries and whit?

Thanks

RCISFUN 11-14-2008 12:42 PM

CG is about a 1/2 ahead of th main spar
Batteries are up in the nose, I cut an access hatch (shown in my AutoCad drawings) in the front bulkhead.

RemoteJets 11-18-2008 03:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I`m starting glassing I will post some pictures, but before that the wings will be cut open first and will also post pictures of that.

One of my struts is "finished" and it works great

RemoteJets 11-19-2008 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And this is what it looks like when the gear will be in the wheelbay.

And started to modify the gear support.

RCISFUN 11-19-2008 07:02 AM

Your gear looks good, I see you like my plywood ribs for the gear mount;)

I wish the factory would have made bigger openings for larger wheels.

RemoteJets 11-19-2008 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Your gear looks good, I see you like my plywood ribs for the gear mount
Thanks, and off course I gonna use your modification on the gear ribs [8D]

Some of my landings can be hard so the gear mount must be "carrier landing proof" :D

Max. wheel size will be 78mm if I measured correctly some time ago.

Some fellow builder gave me 2 jet wheels of 58mm but I think I gonna use one as nose wheel, as they are I think a little too small and because the inner wheels don`t have a lot of space to mount home made air brakes.

I think I gonna order 2 loose 70 or 75mm Graupner tires without wheels (if 75mm fits then that will it be) and make my own wheel halfes so I can install brakes.

RemoteJets 11-19-2008 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here some pictures of the braking system I gonna install.

I didn`t designed it myself and it`s so simple some say it can`t work.
But I can tell you it works great.

The flyer which I got this brake system from is a well know jet flyer in the Netherlands and used it on several of his jets, even on a Avonds F-15 which is one of his scale contest plane in Europa (I`m not sure if he even had it installed in his F-16 the newer scale contest jet).

pict. 1 is the complete installed set up.
pict. 2 shows the drawing, in short words: a home made ring with groove will be mounted on the axle. In the groove is a 4mm fuel hose which is conected to air lines and a air switch.
When the air switch is set on braking, the air will inflate the fuel tube and this fuel tube will expand and runs against the inner part of the wheel.
And this is the brakes.
pict. 3-5 shows how it fits.
pict. 6 is the brakes used on the F-15

Very simple and should works fine for most yets (he also had it on the Rafale I know have, and he again used it on his new Rafale).

Greetz,
Berto.

RCISFUN 11-19-2008 08:45 AM

Very cool brakes, and it gets around the BVM Patent issue;)

RemoteJets 11-19-2008 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Question to you Formost Experts ;)

I have a carbon wingspar, but this one is 1000mm long instead of the most mentioned 1250mm.
The spar will be mounted through the fuselage in one piece as per modification.

The original "spar" extends at the outer wing panel about 185mm
The mentioned spar sticks out 375mm.
My spar will extend 250mm (65mm more then original but 125mm less than the mentioned spar )

Do you guys think my 1000mm spar extends enough in the outer wing panels for safe flying?

I always can buy a Boomerang spar in the future for crazy flying :D

RCISFUN 11-19-2008 05:29 PM

Well........... your loosing at least one full rib bay in the outer wing panel, you can always give it the sand bag test like I did back in post #420 ;)

SpiderJets 11-20-2008 02:56 AM

Carbon tubes, rods etc are also available in lengths of 2000mm, from company R&G.
In the Netherlands, you can get the R&G products from Hobby-Inn located in Waalwijk.
Hope this helps.

Nicolas.

RemoteJets 11-20-2008 07:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your reactions.

I think I gonna use the 1000mm carbon spar first (there`s another Formost in the Netherlands which fly`s with it) and later on when I gonna push things to the limit buy a longer version (or push things to the limit with the Rafale :D ).

For now I`m gonna leave it this way.

The 58mm tires I got from a fellow flyer are a little to small :-( I will use one as a nose wheel.

With my strut set-up I can install 70mm tires, but with a little modification the 75mm will also work so that`s the goal.
And yes then I`m thinking of only buying the 75mm Graupner tires and make the wheel halfes with brakes myself.

RemoteJets 11-21-2008 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures will say enough

RemoteJets 11-23-2008 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And some more photo`s :)

On the last photo you can see the front formers which will carry the radioplate.
But that has to be removable so I glued a piece of multiplex at the front with 2 openings, the radioplate I modified a little so I know can slide the radioplate in the frontside and screw it togather at the back.
I also used on each side a stringer for a more riged frame.

SpiderJets 11-23-2008 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice to see my fuselage formers, and very nicely installed. You make me proud. :D:D:D

There is no need for the hardwood lateral lists, particularly if you would have bolted the tray in the front also.

Nicolas.

i3dm 11-23-2008 02:45 PM

Guys,

I havent followed this thread for some time.

A friend of mine has 2 of he original formosts still new. is there a good fix to the wing issues ?

SpiderJets 11-23-2008 02:59 PM

Yes, with a lot of love, time and care. :D:D:D

I am building a Boomerang Elan right now. Definitely much higher quality, better design, better components, and manufacturing, overall, to say the least.
Is the price difference justified, taking into consideration all time and efforts you have to make to bring the Formost to acceptable safety level for turbines ? Yes, I do believe so.
(Fire at will ! ;) )

Nicolas.

RemoteJets 11-23-2008 03:12 PM

Hye Spiderjets,

The fuselage formers installation is very nice and fits great.
The front side won`t be bolted but will slide in, the aft side will be bolted.

Just glued them and also glued the tank fomers :)

@ i3dm,

I igonna modify my wings according the Spiderjets (post 395) / RCISFUN (post 572) modification.

That means,
- high quality of sheer webs in the wing,
- a carbon fibre wing spar of 1 mtr (but will be 1,25mtr in the future) that runs through the fuselage,
- due to the longer spar some new high quality ribs with spar holes in the outer wings,
- instead of covering I gonna glass the wing.

RemoteJets 11-23-2008 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And all fuselage formers in place

RCISFUN 11-23-2008 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Guys,

I havent followed this thread for some time.

A friend of mine has 2 of he original formosts still new. is there a good fix to the wing issues ?
Go back to post #420 and you will see the results of Nicolas's and my wing modification efforts;)

Is the effort worth it........it all depends if you have extra time during the winter to build and you like to modify / build then definitely yes; if you just want to go out and fly, then buy something else;)

Nicolas, we can't take shots at you:D

RemoteJets 12-01-2008 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next step: removing the covering from the wings.

Done in less then 10 minutes :)

RemoteJets 12-01-2008 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
first wing opened to install 3 extra ribs and sheer webs.

RemoteJets 12-04-2008 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the original alu spar modified as drill and drilled the ribs.

+ started with installing the nose gear steering.

RCISFUN 12-04-2008 06:07 AM

Great progress;)

Hint....make sure you lay down a good glue joint around the outer root rib on the inside edge...I had one pull clean out on mine[X(]

RemoteJets 12-05-2008 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanxs Rich,

Almost every day there is some progress so the maiden will be sooner then first stated, I hope to make a maiden now somewhere mid 2009.

A friendly modellflyer will send me 3 serov operated air valves and 1 of theme is for the brakes, but were do I put the servo`s and valves and were the filling valve and pressure meter?

See the pictures for the solution, the servo + valve will be under the top radio plate on the LH side (the air bottle is on the RH side) and de filling valve + simple Robart pressure meter (yeah I now the Vesto ones are nicer but "keep it cheap" ;) ) go`s trough a hole in the top radio plate so I can remove that without disconnecting air lines.

Nah, the pictures will tell the story.