RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Effects of Smoke Fluid on Tailpipes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7400938-effects-smoke-fluid-tailpipes.html)

Chris Smith 04-21-2008 12:39 PM

Effects of Smoke Fluid on Tailpipes

I'm very interested in any safety tips.

I thought I read somewhere that smoke fluid residue could have an effect on the life of a tailpipe.
Are there issues with unburned raw fluid dripping from the nozzles in the tail pipe? Has anyone experienced a stack fire on start-up or other time due to smoke fluids? Or is the residue from the actual smoke in the pipe a hazard if it is not cleaned out?

I have also heard there may be an effect on the life or pre-mature hardening of SS pipes.
Are these wives tales?

Thanks,
Chris

FalconWings 04-21-2008 12:57 PM

RE: Effects of Smoke Fluid on Tailpipes

Chris, the other day I was flying my F-16 with smoke on and when I shut the valve off a pretty cool "afterburner" effect took place. I was lucky the afterburner went away pretty quick, otherwise it would have cooked the fuselage.

And yes, I have experieced the stack fires a couple of times, but no big deal so far. Pipe still looks pretty good, but then again it is relatively new.

I do however question if smoke actually degrades engine performace. It almost feels like my P-70 struggles pushing the smoke out??

David

Airforce7 04-21-2008 01:55 PM

Chris,

I flew my Rafale quite a bit with smoke (super dry). The fluid entered at the beginning of the pipe just behind the turbine exhaust nozzle. There were times I pumped too much into the exhaust stream and it kept smoking after shutting it off for like 20 seconds. Luckily it never caught fire. The pipe is fine, some discoloration of course, but I don't see any integrity issues with it.

I would warn you that if there is some residue of smoke fluid in the pipe there is a good chance it will catch fire on start-up. You need to be prepared for it because you may not know the fluid is there. Have a fire extinguisher nearby when using smoke for sure. On really hot summer days with the sun beaming down it's hard to tell if there’s a fire or not. This happened to me on my Rookie during a start-up once I have a few burn marks on the fuselage to show for it.

Ken

Wayne22 04-21-2008 06:03 PM

I've pumped gallons and gallons of Super Dri through my F-16..the pipe is nice and shiny inside. I've had smoke fluid in the pipe from forgetting to turn off the valve to the smoke tube while re-filling the tank. OPn the next start, it just dribbled out the back end..no fire...nothin' !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0BYd8H8_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRfM...eature=related

AFTERBURNER1 04-21-2008 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Airforce7

Chris,

I flew my Rafale quite a bit with smoke (super dry). The fluid entered at the beginning of the pipe just behind the turbine exhaust nozzle. There were times I pumped too much into the exhaust stream and it kept smoking after shutting it off for like 20 seconds. Luckily it never caught fire. The pipe is fine, some discoloration of course, but I don't see any integrity issues with it.

I would warn you that if there is some residue of smoke fluid in the pipe there is a good chance it will catch fire on start-up. You need to be prepared for it because you may not know the fluid is there. Have a fire extinguisher nearby when using smoke for sure. On really hot summer days with the sun beaming down it's hard to tell if there’s a fire or not. This happened to me on my Rookie during a start-up once I have a few burn marks on the fuselage to show for it.

Ken

You can never pump toooooo much smoke juice!!!!:D

AndyAndrews 04-21-2008 08:13 PM

I've never put smoke on a jet with a tailpipe. On my boomer the nozzles are right in the jet stream behind the turbine. Is there a thread on this that someone can direct me to or do I basically mount it the same way?

Mine flames up sometimes if I fly on low throttle and then kick in the throttle. Also, like others have said sometimes I forget to unplug the battery from the pump when I first turn on the RX and and then the TX it starts pumping without the turbine running for about 2 or 3 seconds. On the Boomer thats not a big deal because it just sprays it on the ground. With a pipe I could see a problem with that.

Maybe the new smoke kit Eric sent me won't start until I give it the go on the TX.

Andy

KC36330 04-21-2008 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I've never put smoke on a jet with a tailpipe. On my boomer the nozzles are right in the jet stream behind the turbine. Is there a thread on this that someone can direct me to or do I basically mount it the same way?

Mine flames up sometimes if I fly on low throttle and then kick in the throttle. Also, like others have said sometimes I forget to unplug the battery from the pump when I first turn on the RX and and then the TX it starts pumping without the turbine running for about 2 or 3 seconds. On the Boomer thats not a big deal because it just sprays it on the ground. With a pipe I could see a problem with that.

Maybe the new smoke kit Eric sent me won't start until I give it the go on the TX.

Andy
it'll almost always flame up if you have smoke on during spool up. in or out of the pipe the hook up is the same.

get a Tam pump, if you turn power on with the TX set to a smoke on condition it won't pump until you cycle it.

Chris Smith 04-22-2008 07:36 AM

This is good info. Thanks. I was wondering if guys ever clean out the pipe on occasion? I was considering a sort-of bore brush or swab. Not sure how often.

Chris

Aero65 04-22-2008 03:57 PM

The last 2 birds that I finished we put the stingers out the back like the full scale ones.

Smokes really good and little mess. I used Tamjets smoke systems with 2 X 4mm tube running to the back of the aircraft, then bent a little so that the ends just touch the exhaust gas out the tail end of the pipe. Ill post some pictures tomorow.

DavidR 04-22-2008 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith

This is good info. Thanks. I was wondering if guys ever clean out the pipe on occasion? I was considering a sort-of bore brush or swab. Not sure how often.

Chris
I usually clean out the pipe on occasion.....use some crawfish cooked Mississippi style, and a little beer......ooops maybe we are talking about a different pipe? I have never even cleaned the dust out of my tailpipes, guess I am just lazy.

Wayne22 04-22-2008 06:55 PM

I was wondering if guys ever clean out the pipe on occasion? I was considering a sort-of bore brush or swab. Not sure how often.

These little engines we use burn remarkably clean. They don't carbon up like some of the big guys do.....there is nothing to clean, really...............

AFTERBURNER1 04-22-2008 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Andy
Proper programming, on-off valve on the line to the stick and don't activate at low rpm!!!:D[X(]

joeflyer 04-22-2008 07:30 PM

I have the smoke pump on a slider so that I can vary the amount of fluid it's pumping, but more importantly I also have it mixed to the throttle channel that prevents the pump from turning on unless I'm above half throttle. That way the pump will never be on at low throttle or during start up.

After I play with it a bit I might just set it up to vary pump speed as a function of throttle, then use an on/off switch.

Joe

AFTERBURNER1 04-22-2008 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

All of my smoke systems are set to the trainer button on my 10X. Works great... A little afterburner never hurt anyone!!!:D

Wayne22 04-22-2008 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My system works just fine at idle.... never had - or seen - a smoke fluid fire,,,

extra 300 04-23-2008 04:26 AM

I am using a Futaba 9 ZAP WCII, can anyone advise hoe to do the mix to have smoke activated by throttle stick?
I have tried a few things but was unable to accheive desired action.

Would appreciate help in this respect.
Best regards

KC36330 04-23-2008 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

My system works just fine at idle.... never had - or seen - a smoke fluid fire,,,
it'll smoke fine at idle due to the heat in the exhaust blast, it's during the SPOOL UP that you get a flame while injecting oil.

Extra 300, just use a mix from throttle to a spare chan the smoke pump is on and set an offset to the desired stick position that you want it to be on at.

extra 300 04-23-2008 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: KC36330

Extra 300, just use a mix from throttle to a spare chan the smoke pump is on and set an offset to the desired stick position that you want it to be on at.
KC36330,

That's exactly what i did, but it didn't work. I had my smoke channel on right slider, did a mix with throtle as master and smoke channel as slave and did the offset position for throtle stick to activate mix!!!

I am sure that i am doing something wrong at a certain stage but i am unable to find what i am doing wrong.

Thanks for helping.
Best regards.

KC36330 04-23-2008 07:43 AM

hook a servo to the smoke channel so you can watch the output as you change the mixing around, it should give you an idea of what values you need to get the desired on/off point.

misterguytwo 05-20-2008 04:25 PM

Hello, what kind of smoke fluid do you use ?
many thanks

Airforce7 05-20-2008 05:28 PM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAN64&P=ML