RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Are radio impounds a thing of the past? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7689847-radio-impounds-thing-past.html)

Mark Basel 07-03-2008 11:52 AM

Are radio impounds a thing of the past?

I plan on going to a couple of jet meets this summer and fall with my good old 72MHz JR 10X equipment. Just curious if radio impounds are a thing of the past at jet rallies as I have been told there wasnt at a couple here lately. I eventually will convert to 2.4 but I'm cheap and my 72MHz stuff works great!

disclaimer: this is not a shot at anyone or any particular jet meet or an attempt to put someone in a false light, I just want to know what to expect so I can plan accordingly.

mb

Bob_B 07-03-2008 12:00 PM

RE: at radio impounds a thing of the past?

That is a good question Mark.
We are discussing that very issue for our upcoming jet event.
We will most likely do a frequency board that will be self managed by the pilots.

Mark Basel 07-03-2008 12:14 PM

RE: at radio impounds a thing of the past?

What makes me nervous is the gentlemans agreement thing. During the meet shouldnt it be more regulated? I realize I am assuming more risk after hours but during the meet shouldnt there be more control? That way I can be fairly confident I can fly on 72 MHz and not be shot down by some knucklehead with a foamy out in the parking lot.

mb

sweetpea01 07-03-2008 12:21 PM

RE: Are radio impounds a thing of the past?

Here's what we did........if radios conflict we impounded only those radios. Easily handled

Note: this was for IMAC though with 50+ contestants.

Bob_B 07-03-2008 12:22 PM

There has always been the issue of being shot down by anyone flying within range on 72 mhz. not just the foamy flyer.

2.4 has virtually removed that concern in my opinion.

F-16 Skywalker 07-03-2008 12:27 PM

I agree with mark.
Althought 2.4 will be in my future, but not for a while, 72 mhz for right now and I hope that I can get in a couple meets this year with 72.

Mark Basel 07-03-2008 12:32 PM

True maybe foamy was not a good example but with no impound for 72MHz IMO there is potential for transmitter turn on anywhere and much higher risk. Impounding just radios with the same frequency makes sense, could or should go to modules as well.

mb

drdoom 07-03-2008 12:38 PM

and 6 meters, 50 MHZ...

AndyAndrews 07-03-2008 12:41 PM

For 2.4 they aren't but impounds will still be required as long as you have 72mhz around. If you have a 2.4 only meet yes but as long as there is still 72 around it is a must. I can forsee this transition from 72 to 2.4 causing accidents otherwise.

GrayUK 07-03-2008 12:49 PM

The best way i have seen so far is to make all pilots check in TX's.
This confirms that those who say they are on 2.4, are!
All tx's other than 2.4 are impounded as normal but 2.4 are released.
So the pegboard remains in play for all but 2.4.
It worked perfectly, no issues at all, all weekend.

Impounding 2.4 is pointless; it just makes more work and achieves nothing.

3DHELINUT 07-03-2008 01:10 PM

I have been to two events so far this year and both had radio's impounded if they where on 72 MHZ, no impound required if your using 2.4 GHZ.

Alan

Vincent 07-03-2008 01:17 PM

Mark,
72 works great until someone turns on their radio and shoots you down. I have been using spektrum 2.4 in my 10x for months now with no issues. Instead of saying you are cheap, how about 2.4 is cheap insurance...:)

V..

DadsToysBG 07-03-2008 01:32 PM

The way we handled it this year. If you were on 72 and the only one on the channel you got the pin for the day. If more then one were on the same channel the impound was in effect. We had 44 pilots 5 on 72 and only two radios on the same channel. The guy in the impound fell asleep from to much work. Dennis

Mark Basel 07-03-2008 01:47 PM

Okay, cheap insurance is good. The reason I probably will hold out awhile is I fly in Nebraska! There are only a hand full of jet pilots here and we have had no problems with interference or frequencies at Tecumseh where we fly. I guess to run with the big dogs I will have to convert but I hope you see why I am draging my feet some.

zemkes_wolfpack 07-03-2008 01:55 PM

At the Winamac event last weekend, we did not use an impound. We had 77 pilots and roughly 30 or so were still on 72 Mhz. I was one of them and there was one other person on my channel. We just communicated with each other when we wanted to fly and everything worked-out great. The key of course is the communication. Depending on how many pilots you have, it might be worth the shot to try not using an impound especially if the host club is already being stretched thin for support staff.

Jim

digitech 07-03-2008 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

The best way i have seen so far is to make all pilots check in TX's.
This confirms that those who say they are on 2.4, are!
All tx's other than 2.4 are impounded as normal but 2.4 are released.
So the pegboard remains in play for all but 2.4.
It worked perfectly, no issues at all, all weekend.

Impounding 2.4 is pointless; it just makes more work and achieves nothing.

they will impound it overhere anyway , just to make us feel nothing special[:@]

F-16 Skywalker 07-03-2008 02:57 PM

I remember Bardstown Jets 2004 , Jets flying all the time and over to the side there were small eletrics & foam stryker looking aircraft
flying at the same time, weather or not they were 2.4 or not I dont know, but I think its a good idea for even 2.4 to check in and confirm
(not impound), and all 72's impound .

F-16 Skywalker 07-03-2008 02:58 PM

Hopefully i'll have my jets ready for Cinn Jets and they'll have impound as for im still 72.

CARS II 07-03-2008 04:13 PM

Mmmm... I will be flying 72 for this season and the next for sure, not planing to change for now, it is only in my best intrest to gard my frequency the best I can at the field or jet meets.

CraigG 07-03-2008 04:36 PM

The truth of the matter is that a lot of people (me included) will not be completely switching to 2.4 for quite a while. Nevertheless, we are enjoying some benefits from 2.4 since there are so many fewer folks on 72mhz. Waiting for a frequency pin (one of the biggest irritants at some past events) is a thing of the past and by extension, the odds of a "shoot down" are greatly reduced.

There may be a danger though if we over relax frequency control protocol. I think impounds/frequency pins for 72mhz would be appropriate at most events, even if they are "self-controlled". If you are the only guy at an event on a given frequency then you can "hog" the pin but at least be assured that no one else will turn on without it. I would expect no less at my local field.

Craig

GSR 07-03-2008 04:43 PM

We actually need to be MORE careful right now- It is a dangerous time during transition. At this time you have a number of pilots that have not fully migrated over to 2.4. That is to say they may have one or two of their planes on 2.4 and one or two others on 72. If they get used to flying a few flights that day on 2.4, never having to get the pin or checking the frequency, landing gear checks etc. they may get lax. Then they decide to fly the plane that is still on 72 , pop out the SS mod and put in the 72 module and forget to get the pin.......... Scott

CARS II 07-03-2008 04:48 PM

True for both Craig and Scott, I will be more worry of those new comers the have never use a frequency pin at all. [:o]

Mark Basel 07-03-2008 04:51 PM

It all sounds simple enough with 2.4 however dont kid yourself that it is totally fail safe at the present time with all things considered. I have a great full time job, I get to work on jets and uncle sam pays me to do it:D it doesnt matter if it is Honeywell, JR, Spectrum, JC Whitney, USAF, equipment and procedure no matter complex (the nukes incident) or simple can to fail. I can understand the boredom of the impound-been there, got a t-shirt. However, is it that big of a hassle to take one more step and impound transmitters? Some folks in the AF didnt think eliminating a step would make a big difference and live nukes without fuses were loaded on a BUFF. Scarey but preventable.

mb

Billy 07-03-2008 04:52 PM

"The truth of the matter is that a lot of people (me included) will not be completely switching to 2.4 for quite a while.".......Where are you getting this info from?

Gordon Mc 07-03-2008 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: GSR

We actually need to be MORE careful right now- It is a dangerous time during transition. At this time you have a number of pilots that have not fully migrated over to 2.4. That is to say they may have one or two of their planes on 2.4 and one or two others on 72. If they get used to flying a few flights that day on 2.4, never having to get the pin or checking the frequency, landing gear checks etc. they may get lax. Then they decide to fly the plane that is still on 72 , pop out the SS mod and put in the 72 module and forget to get the pin.......... Scott

Absolutely !