RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Residential building catches fire after being struck by remote-control turbine plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7696014-residential-building-catches-fire-after-being-struck-remote-control-turbine-plane.html)

mikedenilin 07-05-2008 07:44 AM

Residential building catches fire after being struck by remote-control turbine plane

Hi All,

Just heard about this news.

Mike

Residential building catches fire after being struck by remote-control plane
07/04/2008 (Taiwan News)

The 28th floor of a residential building in Xindian, Taipei County caught on fire on Thursday morning, and six residents were hospitalized suffering from shock or smoke inhalation. The fire was later found to have been caused by a remote-control hobby plane crashing into the highrise home.
The incident soon resulted in a fierce blaze on the 28th floor. The fire department dispatched 46 fire engines from 15 squads, totalling 94 firemen, after being informed of the incident. The fire was put out in 30 minutes.

The police later found out the incident was caused by a husband and wife who went to the nearby riverbank park to play with their remote-control aircraft on Thursday morning. The police detained the husband and questioned him over the incident.

Firefighters found the plane's wreckage on the balcony of a 28th floor flat - a miniature of the French Mirage fighter. The fire department said that the gasoline the plane used as fuel was the main trigger, and would have easily ignited a blaze.

The apartment hit by the plane was virtually destroyed by the fire, but fortunately no one was inside the building when it was struck. The flat was later found to be owned by a chief of a police precinct.

The fire department evacuated all 900 residents.

The sudden blaze terrified some senior citizens - some suffered from smoke inhalation. Six senior residents were hospitalized at Cardinal Tien Hospital and Xindian Tzu Chi Hospital.

Two celebrities living in the same building - the female singer Lin Hsiao-pei and television hostess Ma Neiou - said they were scared by the incident.

Synthetic 07-05-2008 08:32 AM

RE: Residential building catches fire after being struck by remote-control turbine plane

The main thing in this article was that no one was hurt. That's good.
Don

DelGatoGrande 07-05-2008 09:05 AM

RE: Residential building catches fire after being struck by remote-control turbine plane

yeap Mirage is no good:D

...very luky everytime no ones get hurt!..

uncljoe 07-05-2008 09:19 AM

Guess No more flying from City streets/roads
Semper Fi
Joe

Synthetic 07-05-2008 09:23 AM

It reminds of the video I watched last week where guys in I think it was China flying turbine jets off of an active street with trucks and cars using it as the video was being taken. They'd wait for the trucks/cars to clear out some they'd take off and then land I am guessing when the traffic had somewhat cleared and they were about out of fuel.

Sounds crazy to me but maybe it is working for them. ehheheh. :)
Don

avicom 07-05-2008 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Synthetic

The main thing in this article was that no one was hurt. That's good.
Don

and six residents were hospitalized suffering from shock or smoke inhalation.

This statement don't tell me the same. One person that need to seek medical threatment is enough for the people that want to put us away. "Think Smart, Think Safe"

There is no AMA rules in those coutries, but at least they need a saftey thinking for playing with this toys. I hope this never happend, but if this accidents continue to raise and the news posted here; I guess that we will need to find another use for our toys. This toys can cause serious damage including dead. This warning is written in most of the manuals. Well in the ones that have it.

Alex

quist 07-05-2008 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The other site that has this posted shows the relationship of the flying site to the buildings. These buildings were behind the flying site.

Harley Condra 07-05-2008 10:00 AM

This has already happened in the USA.
Remember the CAI F9F crash at Top Gun at the Polo Grounds a few years ago?
Luckily there was no fire.

Wayne22 07-05-2008 07:38 PM

Good thing it was a gasser and not a turbine :D:D:D

joeflyer 07-05-2008 08:18 PM

Good thing it was a gasser and not a turbine
Don't be so sure. All I know about this incident is what's in this thread. Post #1 says it was a model of a French Mirage, which is a jet. It probably wasn't glow powered because glow fuel would not have ignited on impact. A Mirage powered by a gasoline engine doesn't make much sense. Also don't take the word "gasoline" literally since they are quoting someone who probably knows nothing about modeling and then it's translated from Chinese to English.

It would be nice to have more details.

Joe

Wayne22 07-06-2008 01:04 AM

A Mirage powered by a gasoline engine doesn't make much sense.

You know that, and I know that....but that is not what the press published for the masses.......which is probably not a bad thing for our self interests...

I posted that tongue in cheek....note all the smileys.....:D:D:D:D:D

Anyways, it made the news and a video (of the aftermath) is already posted on the web...The guy was taken away in handcuffs........

SDCrashmaster 07-06-2008 02:30 AM

Why can't they speak friggin' English?;):D:)[X(][:@] [&o]

Mike Emilio 07-06-2008 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: mikedenilin

, , , , ,
, , , , , ,
, , , , , , , ,
but fortunately no one was inside the building when it was struck. , , , , , ,

The fire department evacuated all 900 residents.
, , , , , ,

A bit of contradiction here?

BobH 07-06-2008 12:09 PM

Probably means that no one was in the residence when it was struck.. . Translations get a bit muddied.

mikedenilin 07-06-2008 10:42 PM

Double wammies! the apartment unit on the 28th floor that this Mirage struck belongs to a police captain.

Mike

Woketman 07-07-2008 06:15 AM

Anyone have a link to the full sized photos from Post #7? Thanks.

AndyAndrews 07-07-2008 09:55 AM

More info would be nice. I personally wouldn't fly around tall buildings like that. But I live in an area where there is plenty of space. I guess those guys have to fly where ever they can. It's pretty bad looking though. I wonder what the guy flying it did as soon as he realized what had happened? I would like to hear his story.