RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Flyeagle F18F (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7749224-flyeagle-f18f.html)

salibaj 05-10-2009 05:03 AM

RE: Flyeagle F18F

Oliver,

Are you using a gyro? If yes please, what type? and where are you using it?

Regards

Joseph

olnico 05-10-2009 05:19 AM

ORIGINAL: salibaj

Oliver,

Regards

Joseph
I have two gyros in the Weatronic unit ( roll/pitch ).
I have assigned one chanel to the Weatronic gyros gain adjustment.
I have not used them so far since I have not found the perfect CG spot yet...

AndyAndrews 05-11-2009 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: salibaj

Oliver,

Regards

Joseph
not needed. I personally never use them.

AndyAndrews 05-11-2009 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: olnico

That is correct Nuno.

The kit mainly consists of wood parts to tilt the gear outward and two lower strut bent outward.
Also note that the plate hole for the piston is now "closed". It will make it much stronger...

http://www.geohei.lu/olin/photos/Mod...EJ%20kit/1.JPG

The great news is that these parts are compatible with the other mods I have made. So I expect that I'll be able to get exactly the scale stance by incorporating both modifications...
man, we are going to have to cut out a bunch of formers and stuff to get the new gear to work? Also, do you have to rework the gear doors?

AndyAndrews 05-11-2009 12:49 PM

What is everyone doing with the doors on top of the fuse? I am trying to find out what these are used for. So far I have them mixed with my landing flaps. I could easily switch them on AUX2 though as a speed brake once on the ground. I would prefer mixing them though so that I don't have to worry about hitting that switch on landing (Still flying instead, kind of hard to take your hand off sticks!)

rbxbear44 05-11-2009 10:01 PM

ANdy,
If you are referring to speed brakes...I have mine mixed with wheel brakes. When I apply 75 percent of my brakes, they deploy. I amy change this after I fly a few times but figure this is safest. Also, if I do have to hit full brakes when I am setting up for takeoff (which I should not with this heavy a bird), it will just look like a "preflight check":)

Rex

BTW...oh James, where are my gear mod parts...been a while now!!!!!

olnico 05-12-2009 02:42 AM

Well I have done almost one full flight with the speedbrakes extended due to fingers trouble. They are not very effective, since I only noticed when I saw them extended...
There is so much drag on this airframe that you don't really need them.
I get them mixed with AUX2 as well. So they extend with the application of the brakes, just for fun and visual realism...

olnico 05-12-2009 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

That is correct Nuno.

The kit mainly consists of wood parts to tilt the gear outward and two lower strut bent outward.
Also note that the plate hole for the piston is now "closed". It will make it much stronger...

http://www.geohei.lu/olin/photos/Mod...EJ%20kit/1.JPG

The great news is that these parts are compatible with the other mods I have made. So I expect that I'll be able to get exactly the scale stance by incorporating both modifications...
man, we are going to have to cut out a bunch of formers and stuff to get the new gear to work? Also, do you have to rework the gear doors?
Yes sir...
The gear doors only need to be reworked if you implement my modifications.
The FEJ kit comes in without fiber trimming ( to be confirmed practically )

AndyAndrews 05-12-2009 08:25 AM

[/quote]

Yes sir...
[/quote]

Oh, this is your kit. I was thinking it was a pick of FEJ's. Correct? It's hard to discover all of this without havig to read 50+ pages of posts.

olnico 05-12-2009 09:07 AM

Yes sir...
[/quote]

Oh, this is your kit. I was thinking it was a pick of FEJ's. Correct? It's hard to discover all of this without havig to read 50+ pages of posts.
[/quote]

The picture shows the modification kit from FEJ.
Post 1174 page 47 shows my modifications.
Combining the two will make the gear look perfectly scale...

AndyAndrews 05-12-2009 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44

ANdy,
If you are referring to speed brakes...I have mine mixed with wheel brakes. When I apply 75 percent of my brakes, they deploy. I amy change this after I fly a few times but figure this is safest. Also, if I do have to hit full brakes when I am setting up for takeoff (which I should not with this heavy a bird), it will just look like a "preflight check":)

Rex

Rex, According to the discussion on the F18 question thread I posted, the speed brakes need to be deployed with landing flaps: Here is a perfect landing showing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0zpo1CEmrs

matt2808 05-14-2009 06:04 AM

Hay guys

just wondering if anyone has installed the new FEJ undercarriage system yet?

Cheers matt

USSCAT 05-14-2009 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44

ANdy,

Rex

Rex, According to the discussion on the F18 question thread I posted, the speed brakes need to be deployed with landing flaps: Here is a perfect landing showing this:

Andy,

The link to the video does goes to the main page, can you repost?

Thanks,
Mike

AndyAndrews 05-14-2009 02:32 PM

here is the origional post:

\

Hi guys, I did a lot of experimenting with the Skymaster F-18F. The F-18F on landing aproaches can achieve a very high AOA, the problem is that it can get to a point of doing a sort of cobra manouver and fall of the sky. This happened to me one on landing aproach and I made it happen again for testing purposes. The F-18F would just sudenly increase it's AOA and appeard as if it stoped in the air, then nose down and down it went. This always happened after a certain AOA was reached.
I found that if I came with the air brakes open this gave a much more controled aproach and the jet did not want to make that cobra thing anymore. My guess is that the speed brakes brake the air that moves on top of that area making it more dificult for the F-18F to increase his AOA sudenly.
After my testing I always open the air brakes right after I lower the flaps and land with airbrake open.

Hope this helps...

Here are a couple of videos of my last super hornet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHo9MEFTwbo

Michel

Timo44 05-14-2009 04:18 PM

Hello top guns, I'm now also in the final phase of contruction of my F18 Tier Meet -
Fantastic bird :)

anyway I considered, that if I activate pressure of about 8 bar to the main wheel brakes - the strength is very poor - I can
turn the wheel with less force.

Is this really normal, that the brake performs so weak, or ist there a hint, I can increase the force ??

I don't know how it will handle on the runway ??

One more thing, the spring of the main gear seems also to be a little bit less "on force"
The left one is dampening more than the right one - is there also any possibility to set the stregth of the main gear springs ??

AndyAndrews 05-14-2009 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the finished product. Maiden this weekend weather permitting: Final weight dry, with fuel in UAT, is 42Lbs. The LPS is rated at 40lbs.

David Jackson 05-14-2009 09:37 PM

Good luck on the maiden flight.

olnico 05-15-2009 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Timo44

Hello top guns, I'm now also in the final phase of contruction of my F18 Tier Meet -

anyway I considered, that if I activate pressure of about 8 bar to the main wheel brakes - the strength is very poor - I can

Is this really normal, that the brake performs so weak, or ist there a hint, I can increase the force ??

One more thing, the spring of the main gear seems also to be a little bit less "on force"
The left one is dampening more than the right one - is there also any possibility to set the stregth of the main gear springs ??
Don't worry too much with the braking force. The plane has so much drag that it slows down quickly.
Also the tires deformation create a lot of friction while taxiing.

For the springs you can cut the one that is too long.
I do not like the spring setup at all. I have changed it and had springs custom made for the purpose.

salibaj 05-15-2009 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Timo44

Don't worry too much with the braking force. The plane has so much drag that it slows down quickly.
Also the tires deformation create a lot of friction while taxiing.

For the springs you can cut the one that is too long.
I do not like the spring setup at all. I have changed it and had springs custom made for the purpose.

Oliver,

Can you tell us dimensions/spring load for your custom made springs please? I am interested in your setup and will do it.

Thank you
Regards

Joseph

AndyAndrews 05-15-2009 06:36 PM

Ok, I see cg recommendations all over the place here, one says 165mm one says 190 it flys better, the manual says 170. Is there a conscensis here?

Thanks,

olnico 05-16-2009 05:10 AM

Ok, I see cg recommendations all over the place here, one says 165mm one says 190 it flys better, the manual says 170. Is there a conscensis here?Thanks,
t

AndyAndrews 05-16-2009 09:07 PM

Ok, I see cg recommendations all over the place here, one says 165mm one says 190 it flys better, the manual says 170. Is there a conscensis here?Thanks,
t
U?

cy paul 05-17-2009 01:56 AM

V?

olnico 05-17-2009 08:29 AM

Hello Guys,Sorry I've had problems with the Java plug-in of my browser, I couldn't post.Basically the answer to the CG question is quite simple.The CG position given by FEJ is very conservative.You can use 170 mm for the maiden but remember that your aircraft will be nose heavy.This means that it will have a tendancy to jump on takeoff and will need faster approach speeds. It will also be very stable on the pitch axis will some kind of lazyness.You can pull it slowly to 190 mm. The plane will fly much better.

AndyAndrews 05-18-2009 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Maiden Report:</p>

CG 170, dry weight 42, wet 52, all throws per manual, 20 expo on alerons, 20 on elevator, no dual rates, air brake mixed with landing flaps. The wind was straight down the runway but gusting to 15-20.</p>

Took off without flaps on a long run, climb out was uneventfull, jet a full throttle tended to climb a little, adjusted trim to lessen, no trim what so ever was needed other than slight down trim. The day was gusty but the bird flew perfect without any bad tendencies at all. sharp turns remained stable, did a couple of loops, slow flight, gear pass with lowered flaps etc. then landed.</p>

The flaps with the air brake had no bad tendencies at all. Once lined up on final reduced throttle and had some slight pitching up and down but jet remained stable until on the ground. Once landed I had some trouble like others keeping it steady. The nose ran off into the grass and it scraped the wing missles slightly - no damage. I can see that I will have to really work at keeping it straight with these narrow gear. (I have the wider ones comming).

Things that I will change for the next flight - less expo on the alerons, a little more on the elevators - slightporpoise effect during flare but held it and she came down gently. I didn't add any weight to the jet for cg purposes. I like the way it flys at cg 170.</p>

I couldn't fly a second flight because I forgot to close the fuel valve on refuel and had a wet start that melted some air lines. I actually thought it would burn itself out, well it didn't and I had to put it out with a extinquisher). I fixed it overnight and itsready to fly again today.I will take it out again today to put a few more flights on it. Need to get all of the bugs worked out by a rally this weekend. The gear stance issue may be a challenge though.</p>

</p>