RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jetmach Sport E for Kolibri (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9180248-jetmach-sport-e-kolibri.html)

siclick33 10-17-2009 10:08 AM

Jetmach Sport E for Kolibri

1 Attachment(s)
As if I haven't got enough projects on the go at the moment I have ordered a Jetmach Sport E and am going to have a look at installing a Kolibri into it.

Whilst I await the kit to be delivered, i would be grateful for any info/tips on this model that may be of some help.

Thanks

hooker53 10-17-2009 10:32 AM

RE: Jetmach Sport E for Kolibri

Siclick, I think you made a wise choice. I think this will be my next very near future E-Jet. Especially if I find out the E-Flite DeltaV 15 69mm will push this jet. Don't see no reason for it not to go in it. Keep us posted on yours when you get it. Post some photo's of the kit and the build. Good luck Roy

Shok 10-17-2009 10:45 AM

Bob an I were talking about this awhile back.

This plane would be perfect for that motor.
Also going to make a JetMach SuperSport - E with the swept wing

Please keep us informed on the progress.

Chad (sincity) you need one of these for your motors!

hooker53 10-17-2009 11:16 AM

Shok, Glad to hear that. Will put in an order for one (payday Ha) about the end of next week. Your also doing a good job on that tank thread. Have learned a lot from your endeaver. Roy

limeybob 10-17-2009 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: siclick33

As if I haven't got enough projects on the go at the moment I have ordered a Jetmach Sport E and am going to have a look at installing a Kolibri into it.

Whilst I await the kit to be delivered, i would be grateful for any info/tips on this model that may be of some help.

Thanks

siclick, good choice.
There will be more intake area than you will need for the turbine, consider reducing the intakes.
bob

SinCityJets 10-17-2009 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Shok

Bob an I were talking about this awhile back.

This plane would be perfect for that motor.
Also going to make a JetMach SuperSport - E with the swept wing

Please keep us informed on the progress.

Chad (sincity) you need one of these for your motors!
If this is a good size, I would definitely be interested. Is this plane out now? WHen is the swept wing version going to be ready?

Last but not least, I need it to be an ARF..... no time (or skill) to build.

Chad

siclick33 10-18-2009 02:48 PM

Ronnie or Bob,

Can you give me an idea on what servos I might need so I can start getting some bits together?

The website mentions retracts but I can't find the part numbers on the Robart site. Can you give me an idea what gear will fit?

Thanks

limeybob 10-18-2009 03:54 PM

Ronnie or Bob,

Can you give me an idea on what servos I might need so I can start getting some bits together?

The website mentions retracts but I can't find the part numbers on the Robart site. Can you give me an idea what gear will fit?

Thanks
I used a mixed bag, Spectrum S75, GWS Nano, Hitec HS-80 servo's, also the E-flite S75, at 17 Oz/in is also suitable

http://www.robart.com/retracts/2-5lbPneu.aspx.
This might work also
http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...products_id=99

siclick33 10-26-2009 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Kolibri has arrived courtesy of Sandor:D

I'm very glad I have gone for the Sport E having seen the engine. I think it deserves a proper airframe and I wouldn't feel right putting it in a foamy! Maybe if I get another one......

The kit is now in the UK but was delayed slightly through customs. Hopefully I'll have it in my hands by the end of the week.

k12rc 10-26-2009 01:56 PM

I think you will really like it

hooker53 10-26-2009 05:28 PM

Post some photo's of that kit when you get it Siclick. If you don't mind!! Thanks

siclick33 10-29-2009 01:14 PM

The kit has arrived:D

First impressions:

The instructions look good but some of the photos aren't great. There is an electronic copy of the manual which is better but it is more functional than aesthetic.
The enclosed photo CD is pretty good. It include 2 videos, one of which is 2 seconds long and the other 10 secs[sm=confused.gif]
The plans are very clean, tidy and well drawn.
The parts look quite complete and well cut. This is sold as a semi kit but there are only a few sheets, spars and LE parts to add to get a full kit; basically anything that wouldn't fit in the smallish box. This is a plus for me living in the UK as I don't have to pay silly shipping costs for parts that I can buy from my LHS.

The model is small. I was a bit worried it might be too big for the Kolibri from the photos I have seen but, having seen the plans, it looks perfect.

I will post photos at the weekend when I start the build. So far, so good.

SJN 10-30-2009 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out this nice little viper jet from schreiner with a kolibri in it:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=149768

http://www.schreiner-savex.de/index_e.html

siclick33 10-30-2009 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to give Schreiner the benefit of the doubt after other's experiences and was tempted to take a chance with the 'All-In' but they haven't even replied to my email. In the same time, Laser Design Services have answered a couple of emails, taken my payment and delivered my kit!!

I have started the Sport E build and will pop to the LHS tomorrow to pick up the extra bits I need. I have now unwrapped the parts and they are very cleanly cut and, so far, they fit superbly. I will post a couple of photos tomorrow.

k12rc 10-30-2009 07:48 PM

I think you will be pleased I went the other way I'am building the jet mach ultra sport 106 inch wings good luck with your project I may try one of them later after I finish this one

SJN 10-31-2009 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yea, i also mailed schreiner some time ago about their L-39........replys where also extremly slow

The Skyrunner 300 also looks good

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...hlight=kolibri

SJN 10-31-2009 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And another Schreiner jet for the kolibri " All-In/Joker "

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...hlight=kolibri

siclick33 11-05-2009 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There has been a little delay as I suddenly realised it's been so long since I built a kit that I didn't have a building board!!

There is not much to show but I will highlight where I have altered the standard kit so that, hopefully if it works, it will give a guide for anyone else who wants to try a turbine conversion.

I have replaced the LE parts of the elevators so that they are about 5mm longer. This means that the join with the ply elevator joiner now occurs next to the doubler. I have also added an extra false LE to give more surface for the hinges to glue to. I have also added 2 small extra pieces per elevator for added strength.

All of the elevator pieces and most of the tailplane pieces are supplied laser cut. Unless I am missing something the fin pieces aren't supplied which is a bit strange. There will be a little delay again as I need to get a piece of spruce to use as a spar for the tailplane. I also need to assemble my new fuselage building jig.

turboratt 11-05-2009 05:38 PM

dang all those little ships look great to bad we cant use them here in the usa no rudders our ama req it
bummer

limeybob 11-05-2009 11:14 PM

There has been a little delay as I suddenly realised it's been so long since I built a kit that I didn't have a building board!!

There is not much to show but I will highlight where I have altered the standard kit so that, hopefully if it works, it will give a guide for anyone else who wants to try a turbine conversion.

I have replaced the LE parts of the elevators so that they are about 5mm longer. This means that the join with the ply elevator joiner now occurs next to the doubler. I have also added an extra false LE to give more surface for the hinges to glue to. I have also added 2 small extra pieces per elevator for added strength.

All of the elevator pieces and most of the tailplane pieces are supplied laser cut. Unless I am missing something the fin pieces aren't supplied which is a bit strange. There will be a little delay again as I need to get a piece of spruce to use as a spar for the tailplane. I also need to assemble my new fuselage building jig.
siclick, good observation, I will add pre cut fin and rudder parts to the kit.
Thanks
Bob

siclick33 11-08-2009 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tailplane done.

The plans call for a bass 'spar' at the trailing edge. I have used balsa instead and inset a 1/8 x 1/2 spruce spar further forward. I have also added a couple of 1/8 x 1/8 spruce ribs. None of this is probably necessary but I don't know how much extra stress the turbine will put on the model so I am going a bit over the top. Hopefully I haven't put too much extra weight at the back. Time will tell.

siclick33 11-08-2009 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fin complete.

The only changes I have made here is to add a 1/8 x 1/8 spruce strip behind the LE and to use 1/2 wide balsa at the LE of the rudder and TE of the fin to provide more glueing area for the hinges.

siclick33 11-10-2009 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have finally finished assembling the fuselage jig. It is now set up ready to glue the fuselage but the back former is way too small. Have I made a mistake or is F-8 too small?

How should it look?

Edited to add a picture of the full fuselage in the jig. If I was to pull hard enough to get the sides to meet F-8, the rear of the fuselage sides would easily touch. I think I am going to have to make a new former.

k12rc 11-10-2009 01:37 PM

siclick I don't know about the little one but f8 goes to very back on the bigger ones

siclick33 11-10-2009 03:01 PM

k12rc, I think you may be right and I think I may have found the problem.

There are 2 F-7s:D That will make the F-8 I have go at the back;)